“Nice atmosphere”
Review of Melange

Melange
Reserve with OpenTable
Melange is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 609 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Liberty & William
Description: Mélange The word Mélange means a combination or variety and we think it really captures the essence of the menu - The menu brings together a wide range of ingredients and culinary influences within each dish, but comes together to create its own unique fingerprint.
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Melange has a nice atmosphere. It is trendy and sophisticated, and equally suited for intimate dates or larger dinners. They have a sushi menu, and while we didn't have any, it seemed many people around us had sushi as an appetizer. We had "Scoozi" as an appetizer, a deep fried bread that was supposed to have a blue cheese element to it, but we didn't taste the blue cheese. The bread was OK; it needed salt, and it was kind of greasy. We would skip it next time. For our entrees, I had sea scallops and my husband had the filet mignon. My scallops weren't as a "jumbo" as I was expecting, but there was a big serving of fingerling potatoes. The dish wasn't bad, but it was sort of bland and I wouldn't bother to order it again. My husband loved the filet mignon. It had a little bit of sauce, and an onion potato pie. He ordered it medium and it was definitely served medium - very pleased. I also had the pear martini...it was OK. A tad too sweet for me. Overall my only complaint is that considering we had reservations, and that the many of the tables around us were empty, we had a horrible table right outside the kitchen. It was a high-traffic area with wait staff constantly walking behind my husband and the people next to us. These should be the last tables the restaurant sits any one at; especially when we all could have easily sat at the empty tables around the corner!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I went there twice. The first time it was fine, food was good (not great), expensive for what you get, but good enough to make me come back. The second visit was awful. First our waiter (Derek), after we didn't order any wine, didn't pay attention to our table at all, he even didn't bother to bring us the bread basket as he did for the other customers.
Also, this restaurant looks like classy. I think it pretend to be, since they don't respect the etiquette. But this was last of my issues with them.
Anyway, we got an appetizer, the beef was chewy, I suppose it was a bad cut. Sushi was good, and scallops too (I would have liked less potatoes and more scallops or spinach).
We also used a groupon: after Derek the waiter found out, he laughed laud "oh no another groupon", walking from one side of the restaurant to the cashier. At the end we couldn't lower the tip because it was already billed.

2  Thank Iglu29556
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We have been to Melange twice now and enjoyed our meal both times. The decor reminds me of an old style NY restaurant like the Waldorf (this is a good thing). The food choices on the menu are excellent with a mix of nouvelle cuisine and fusion style. Our waitresses both times were very pleasant and helpful. Wait staff in general were quick with water or to clear dishes without being intrusive. I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I have eaten at Melange several times now and have never been disappointed. Their filet mignon is the best!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I've had some above average meals there, but my Valentines Day dinner there was a disaster. Poor service, mediocre food, cramped seating. Probably won't go back.

1  Thank cpjs