“U of M Gem!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“U of M Gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2009

I recently visited this hotel with my son looking at the University of Michigan. We stayed one night and took a campus tour the next day. When we arrived we were greeted by a valet who took care of our car and parking with no charge! The girl at the desk was very friendly when she checked us in.

After we settled we went back down to ask for restaurant recommendations and where we should visit around campus. They were able to tell us all about areas of attraction and great restaurants! The service was great!

The hotel seemed a little old but it was very clean. All the staff members I encountered were friendly and more than accommodating! If I were to return to Ann Arbor I would most certainly stay at the Bell Tower again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank aeledford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed 3 nights. We found the staff attentive, the rooms were just fine, and the location very convenient. There is a turn-down service with chocolate & bottled water.
Wireless internet was included, and a cereal or buns - type breakfast. Valet parking. Our room did not have a fridge; I don't know if some do.
The exercise room has three machines. It's off the main streets so pretty quiet. New York Times delivered each morning to your door -- nice touch.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

The service was very attentive starting with the Valet and Desk clerks who remember your name. The rooms depending on which type vary in size so make sure you ask when making your reservation. The help has always been able to help get anything we have needed or forgotten and the location is right on campus.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
So Cal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2009

Check in was so-so. If the desk clerk smiled or showed any interest, it was while I was out of the room - but then it was midnight.

Once in the hotel, the valet, front desk, hotel and housekeeping staff were cordial and friendly. I was greeted by name every time I entered the lobby, and really appreciated the gesture. The fitness center is tiny, but up to date and kept clean. The bartenders on the first two nights did really good jobs with cocktails; and the wine list is modestly priced and well designed to compliment the food - which itself is above average, and really surprisingly well done for a college town.

The problems are in the details. Internet service was touted as "high speed". In fact it is intermittent and slow. For those who understand such things, when I can connect to the in-house server I get a 10 MB connection. This is not really high speed; In fact, the Ethernet cable in my room is only CAT3. When I can get to the internet, however, my connection clocks in at about 50 kB. Outgoing e-mail doesn't work - downloads only The internet connection is essentially out of service from morning until about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and remains spotty thereafter. This is day 3 and it's been pretty consistent.

I've filed six complaints so far: I've spoken to two desk clerks, a hotel maintenance staffer I ran into in the hallway, one valet, and even the man who cleans my room (plus the maitre d', but I really didn't expect anything from him). Consistently I am told that I need to call an outside technical support company and work it out with them. It was also suggested by one of the clerks (sympathetic and trying to be helpful) that maybe I should take my laptop to Starbucks. In fact, I did go down the block to Panera when I had a really critical and large download.

Three days so far, and no word from the manager - you'd think by now he'd have heard about the fussy guest at the end of the hall on the first floor.

So decide for yourself. If friendly staff, good food and drink and a pleasant ambiance will do, then you may like the Bell Tower. If you really need to get work done while you're here then I might suggest Weber's, out by the interstate - though you'll need a car to get into town.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

I stay in hotels ~ 120 nights / year and the customer service I experienced at the Bell Tower was the worst I have ever had in any hotel. This is a hotel with 1-star service trying to masquerade as a 4-star hotel! DO NOT stay here if you care about being treated as a valuable customer, or mind paying more than double what the room is worth. I am still waiting for the absentee manager to return my multiple phone calls two weeks after my stay!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bookwork863
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
I have contacted this guest three times without a response. We stand behind our service 100% and follow up on all issues as they are brought to our attention. I did not have the opportunity to address this issue as it was not brought to my attention, neither during nor after their stay. We are an elegant hotel with European decor and are located in the heart of the University of Michigan. It is understandable that some guests are not in need of a hotel with the services and amenities that are included in their experience with us.

DeWayne Grann
Bell Tower Hotel
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2008

This was such a great hotel.  If you tend to stay in roadside chain hotels, this may not suit you.  You have to enjoy fine hotels to truly enjoy this hotel!  The location can't be beat (right on the University of Michigan campus) and there are restaurants all around it.  The service was the best I have ever received and I travel about ten times a year around the world!  These employees know how to make someone feel at home.  Great stay, Great service, I will only stay there while in Ann Arbor!

• Liked — Service and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southwest US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

Great little boutique hotel with character in the heart of Ann Arbor. Easy to walk to everything and experience the campus. Very European flare and service was outstanding with knowledgable people and very personal attention. Would stay there exclusively on any future trips to Ann Arbor.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small fitness room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)