“15+ visits with no bad surprises”
Review of Bell Tower Hotel

Bell Tower Hotel
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Detroit
“15+ visits with no bad surprises”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Consistency is a virtue. This is a quiet hotel right in the middle of Ann Arbor activities. Great location for concerts, the Art Fair and other central campus events. I have already booked for next year's Art Fair.

Room Tip: I always book a King Front. It is not listed as a standard room, but please ask. The extra cost ov...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thanks for your business. A sign of a great hotel is consistency. We pride ourselves on always offering excellent guest service. I truly believe we offer the best guest service in Ann Arbor.

We look forward to your return next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Bell Tower in Ann Arbor was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in for 2 reasons:
1) The bed had zero support and created a concave pit around me and my wife. Not only did we not sleep a wink, we now need chiropractors.
2) The customer service does not solve problems or empathize. We told the manager about how bad the mattress was and that we did not sleep. I challenged the manager to sit on the mattress and tell me it was acceptable. She never did, nor did she even apologize. However, she did manage to still bill us for the room (already way over-priced) and -- eventually -- gave us a new room with an ok mattress for our second night.

I would never stay here again. But if you do, you might want to test out the mattress yourself before making the purchase.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Paul H
I apologize that the mattress failed. You were the first guest to report a problem and in fact you received a complimentary night for your inconvenience.

Since we recently purchased Serta, Presidential double pillow top mattresses, they are still under warranty so we promptly replaced it. There are items we are able to be proactive with and unfortunately others we need to react to.

I hope that you will give us another chance in the future to prove that we offer the best service and top quality products and amenities.

Regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The location is amazing, right on campus. The room is somewhat small, but in this type of hotel, it really is part of the old charm. The staff could not have been nicer and more accomodating, and greeted us warmly each time we walked in without being obtrusive. The housekeeping staff was also so nice and bent over backward to make our stay nice.

We always try to stay at the Bell Tower and the hotel has not lost a thing in the last few decades. Only thing it needs to, though, is to upgrade the windows which I understand will be happening pending the historical building approval.

Room Tip: stay on the inside
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response. It is always good to hear guests acknowledge our staff. It is great to share positive responses.

While planning your next stay, please make sure to request a room with a king or two double beds. The rooms are slightly larger and have great bathrooms with televisions in the mirror.

I look forward to your next stay at the Bell Tower.

Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We traveled to Ann Arbor for freshmen orientation in June. The location of the hotel is very convenient. It is walking distance to everything The University of Michigan has to offer. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only reservation we have about the hotel is that the bathroom and shower were very small (shower around 3ft X 3ft). Super cute and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
I hope you enjoyed Ann Arbor while staying at the Bell Tower. We have recently renovated all of our bathrooms and some do have stand up showers. The showers may seem a bit smaller because we built in a tiled shower seat but it is the same area as a tub.

If you prefer, we kept a few bathtubs for guests that prefer a tub versus a stand up shower. You can enjoy the in mirror television while bathing.

Please request this room while booking your next reservation at the Bell Tower. Please feel free to contact us at 800-562-3559.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Charming vintage hotel in a great location to walk to restaurants and shops in Ann Arbor. The room with the one queen bed was minimum on space - and a step UP to the small spaced bathroom - wouldn't recommend it for seniors - could see them tripping on the step everytime - need a note on the outside of the door to "caution: step up" - would seem in order! Nice bed linens - white clean and fresh. Nice amenities - Bath & Body Works stuff. Complimentary breakfast was fair: the usual scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, sausage (pretty good actually) - nice assortment of fresh fruit (waited long enough for the fresh strawberries and blueberries to come out!) - also had orange and grapefruit slices, the usual yogurt and breads for toasting. Good coffee!

Room Tip: Can use the stairs to go up to the third floor and get your exercise! :)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jakey413
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I agree that our Queen bed is great for a single traveler but can be tight for multiple guests. We have a few options that allow someone to choose a larger room for just a few dollars more.

Sorry that you had to wait for the fresh fruit to be delivered to the buffet. We clean and cut it in the kitchen so it may take a few minutes if the attendant is busy. Again, sorry for the delay.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Bell Tower Hotel
Michigan
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We travel back to Ann Arbor where we lived for many years a few times a year, always trying to get into the Bell Tower. We finally succeeded, and it was a great stay. Location is excellent - easy walking distance to all areas of downtown. Prompt valet service. This is a historic hotel as many have mentioned, but many aspects have been upgraded. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom, while on the small side, was very nice. Breakfast offered many choices in a pleasant dining area.

My only complaint is the online reservation process. While checking out, I mentioned that I had already checked a future date and was sad to see that the hotel was showing no rooms available. The girl at the desk thought that was odd, so she checked for me and found that there were many rooms available. When I check online now, it still shows no rooms available - so I wonder how many times I had not stayed there in the past thinking I couldn't get a reservation! I will just call for a room request in the future as we will easitly stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Ask for a campus facing room if you don't want to stare at a parking lot or the side of the buil...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hldMichigan
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that you were/are having trouble finding rooms online. We have recently inspected every day through the end of the year to verify they are online and didn't see anything out of the ordinary but I will have our reservations manager double check.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any problems in the future and I would be more than happy to assist you. You may reach me at 800-562-3559.

Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you during your next trip.

GRAND RAPIDS
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Best location if visiting fun city of Ann Arbor or the University. My two female friends and I stayed one night and had excellent room with comfortable pullout couch/bed. Not cheap by any means but the location and quality make it worth it. Had included breakfast in dining room and had nice, but not great a breakfast as they make it sound. I LOVE staying in older, historic buildings in downtowns if they've been renovated well and The Bell Tower has been. Young men run to get your car and carry your packages and luggage. Will stay there again

Room Tip: Rooms in back are quieter and loved our corner room windows.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PAMELA V
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay. I am sorry that the breakfast did not exceed your expectations. We feel that with the addition of the potatoes, eggs, bacon or sausage, fresh cut blueberries and fresh cut strawberries, guests would be happily surprised.

I am glad you found the location to be outstanding. It is nice to be able to leave your car in the valet parking and walk anywhere you need.

Again, thanks for your review and we look forward to your next stay.