“Location probably best feature”
Review of Bell Tower Hotel

Bell Tower Hotel
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
NYC
“Location probably best feature”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

If you are visiting the university, the hotel location is great, you can easily walk to campus, and you are also in close walking proximity to shopping and restaurants. I also found the staff friendly and helpful, such as providing me with an umbrella when it rained. I think those were the best features. Another pro was the turndown service (wee bottled water and dark chocolate), which included a little card with the next day's weather forecast. Finally, I liked the NYT delivery each morning, and the wifi was free and worked well. But the hotel itself I found average and there were several minor issues that took away from the stay.

First, my view was of a brick wall. I don't know what the other views are like but I imagine you'd want to request a better view if possible. I also found the room itself rather austere and drab. The bathroom was also small relative to the rest of the room, and the toilet took forever to stop running when flushed. The bathroom also has no fan--the second light switch turned on a light UNDER the sink vanity, so that the floor underneath it is lit, bizarre. The walls were very thin. Or maybe the issue is the door that is shared between rooms. Either way, you can hear everything from the next room, and when my neighbor watched TV it was like it was in my room, which was a problem when I was trying to work. And speaking of TV, the channels were very hard to watch, I kept getting an error message of "scrambled channel or weak signal" for some channels, so those were unwatchable, and then in some cases the entirety of the cable went out and it would say "weak or no signal: check the antenna cable connection". I didn't bother complaining because I wasn't there to watch TV so I just shut it off.

The exercise room was a disappointment, exactly 1 treadmill and 1 elliptical and some silver dumbells. So if two people are in there when you want to work out, or even one person, who is using the kind of machine you want, you're out of luck. Breakfast was juice, coffee/tea, a bunch of sweets & carbs like bagels and donuts, and some fruit (grapefruit?) that looked like it came out of a can. Plus whole oranges and bananas.

Finally, on the day of checkout, I thought would have a bill under my door in the morning, but no. No big deal, but that meant no express checkout. Then, housekeeping tried to come in at 9:45! She knocked and barely gave any time for me to get to the door before she started to come in. I yelped and she closed the door. Luckily I was not in the shower or otherwise indisposed. I've never had housekeeping try to clean when it's a checkout day.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for recognizing the benefits of the hotel and mentioning them in your review. I know the fitness room is small with one elliptical, one treadmill, one nautilus set and some free weights. We have found that accommodates most guests but I am sorry if that was not the case in your situation.

We also have some room options with better views in front of the hotel. It does not have the night light under the vanity but it does not sound like that added much value in your case so the king front may work better for you? It has a campus view with a larger bathroom.

Thank you for mentioning the express checkouts under the door. We usually only offer those during busy times but I will review that policy and will change if guests find it beneficial to have that option all the time.

Sorry that we fell short to meet your expectations during your stay. I feel that we can exceed your expectations better during your next visit by moving you to another room. Please contact me directly and I will personally look into a better fit when booking your next stay in Ann Arbor.

DeWayne Grann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

I came to visit the university with my son, and chose this hotel for its proximity to the central campus. I loved that we didn't need the hassle or expense of a car, having taken the $12 shuttle from the airport and being able to easily walk to everything we needed.

I expected the location to be great (it's the closest hotel to the campus). What I did not expect was how much I'd like the hotel itself. It's old, of course, but that's its charm. Our room was comfortable and had a recently renovated bathroom. Best, the hotel staff were all friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good too.

Should my son choose to attend the university I will happily make this our spot in Ann Arbor.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the kind review. I am very happy to hear that you found the hotel and staff to be very accommodating.

We look forward to your return visits to Ann Arbor.

Philadelphia
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Older place with good location and built-in supply of customers from the university. Staff very friendly and tried very hard. Complimentary breakfast nice. But, facility was inconsistent: beds way TOO soft, first room very small (like a NYC hotel room) with lumpy mattress and broken climate control, staff very helpful in moving us, second room was nicer, but that night had very rowdy guests in hall at 2:00 am and took two calls to front desk to stop.

Room Tip: Rooms with two double beds on the north side of the hotel are larger and better appointed. Avoid ro...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1029384756
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your trip. I am sorry that it took a room move to find a better room. You are correct about the different room sizes. We discount the smaller rooms on the south side of the hotel. Even with the new bathrooms, we feel those rooms deserve a discount due to their size.

I am also sorry it took two calls to silence the noisy guests. We try very hard to enforce a quiet environment but sometimes it takes a few trips to enforce this policy.

Again, I am sorry but it looks like we know which rooms suites you best and will be able to accommodate you better during your next visit to Ann Arbor.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Bell Tower provided perfect accommodations for our campus visit. Location and service are tops. The hotel itself will probably never be chic but our room was nice, very clean and, again, there was a wonderful focus on service throughout. Valet, bell hop, reception desk, housekeeping and adjacent restaurant all provided delightful midwestern hospitality.

Room Tip: We were in a 2-room suite which was spacious enough for two kids in the sleeper sofa. Second floor c...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay during your campus visit. I hope you were able to see everything at the University of Michigan. It is a great school and we are happy to be located across the street from campus.

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and our staff.

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The hotel itself isn't that great, but the service is extraordinary. My family and I came for a college visit to U of M for my daughter and the location was perfect for everywhere we had to walk. One of the bellhops (I believe is name was Zack), mentioned he was a student there and was extremely helpful to the multitude of questions I had.Once I told him we didn't have an official tour. he pulled out a map from behind the desk and highlighted all of the places we would want to see. Then, the front desk girl McKenzie was just as kind helping us get checked in. I've never had such great service at a hotel.
The actual rooms are a bit small, but other than that they are very nice. The bathroom mirrors had built in TV's to watch while you were in the shower, and my husband found that very exciting (LOL).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
I am thankful for your review of the new bathrooms. It sounds like your husband enjoyed the televisions in the bathroom mirror and I hope you enjoyed the upgraded marble counter tops as well as the elegant tile shower.

Thank you and I hope you choose to stay at the Bell Tower Hotel during your next visit.

San Diego
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Really a nice friendly hotel - my cousin had his shaving cream
confiscated at airport security, and the Bell Tower replaced it right in the lobby. Comfortable beds, great pillows. Free Wi/fi, breakfast included. Charming, clean. Free valet parking.

Stayed March 2014
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for the nice review. I am glad to hear we were able to replenish any amenities you needed. We look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Ann Arbor.

Belle River, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My friend and I went to Ann Arbor Michigan overnight to celebrate her birthday. I booked the Bell a Tower Hotel because I had stayed there previously with my husband. My friend and I loved it. The main feature was the eagerness of the staff to make sure everything was exactly what we wanted. The room was beautifully decorated creating an ambience which was pleasant and relaxing. Above all the place was very clean and inviting. The beds were amazing and the place was very quiet. All this contributed to a very restful stay. A bonus was our meal at Mercy's Restaurant which is in the hotel but run by different owners. The food was amazing. In the morning we were treated to a breakfast prepared in the restaurant by the Hotel staff. It was way beyond the usual complimentary breakfast in most hotels. The price was well worth the value we received at this Hotel.

Room Tip: Ours looked out on the passageway between the buildings but that didn't matter. I think
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and meals. I honestly think The Bell Tower offers the highest level of guest service in Ann Arbor.

I look forward to your return when in Ann Arbor next.