“Dated but staff made us feel so at home” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bell Tower Hotel

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Singapore
“Dated but staff made us feel so at home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I can deal with dated rooms if they are clean - and it was. What is most important to me is the people staffing the hotel. Andrew at valet/bell/concierge/etc was thoughtful and both reception staff in the evening and early morning when we left were just friendly and kind. Pricey for the facilities but ok since it was just a night

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I am sorry you felt the decor is a little dated but am happy to hear you found it clean. Our Director of Housekeeping inspects each room after it has been cleaned and I inspect rooms each week.

We are completing a bathroom renovation project next Monday. These bathrooms will offer elegant granite counters, tile showers and an in mirror television.

I shared the compliment with Andrew and reminded him that his hard work and friendly demeanor are recognized.

Thanks for commenting on your stay and we look forward to your next stay and your opinion on our newly renovated bathrooms.

DeWayne Grann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

You couldn't possibly stay at a more convenient location, and the hotel is a quiet respite from all the action right outside the door. The accommodations are spotless, simple but certainly not cheap like a chain hotel. Tip: for some reason, the lowest prices seem to be on the hotel site. I did not hear any exterior noise whatsoever, and I was on the first floor. I have no idea what these complainers are talking about. The breakfast is beyond "continental." You get scrambled eggs, potatoes and sausage along with the usual fare. I'm not sure why, but everything was just warm, and I think they could probably use a better serving device. Valet parking is quick, easy and free, something you don't find anywhere else.

I'll always stay here when in Ann Arbor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I know you were concerned about exterior noise before your arrival and am glad to hear we did not let you down.

I am sorry the hot food was just warm. We have ordered another heating unit for the chaffing dish which should be here in the next few days. That will resolve the problem.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you again.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Though a bit dated, the Bell Tower is a nice, small hotel in the middle of the campus. The room was small but reasonably well appointed. The bathroom was tiny, even for just me. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Probably the best on-campus option.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank J0sRad
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to announce that we will be renovating our remaining bathrooms after the last football game. They will include high quality granite counters, an in-mirror television and nice tile surround in the shower.

I look forward to your opinion of the new bathrooms after your next stay.

Bryn Mawr, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

If you're visiting the University, you can't find a more convenient location than the Bell Tower. It's right on campus and just one block over from lots of restaurants and shops so no rental car is needed if you aren't driving to Ann Arbor. The hotel is a cross between that and a bed and breakfast, serving a perfectly adequate hot and cold breakfast buffet in the Mercy's restaurant space on the ground floor. We visited on a Monday when Mercy's was closed, so the staff directed us to the excellent Sava's around the corner. While the Bell Tower is certainly not luxurious, it is clean and comfortable and fine for a brief visit, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your brief stay with us. Sava's is a great local restaurant that is located just around the corner, so I am glad you had a great dinner there.

We look forward to your next stay to Ann Arbor.

Wheeling, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Staff attentive and personable, room clean and comfortable. Older perhaps but still a pleasant stay. Breakfast quality was only fair--but certainly adequate. Location is very close to shopping, eateries, and campus.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We are working on upgrading the breakfast. We have recently added fresh strawberries and blueberries and are looking at upgrading our hot items with better sausage and potatoes.

I hope you have an opportunity to stay in the future and let me know what you think of the upgraded items.

Thanks again,

Wheeling, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We were in Ann Arbor for a wedding and the Bell Tower was recommended. We found the hotel to be charming and clean. Yes, it is older, the elevator is painfully slow, and the rooms are relatively small but that should be expected for this type of hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I hope you enjoyed your wedding weekend. I apologize for our elevator being slow. That is one characteristic of the hotel that we are unable to change.

Please let me know the next time you are returning and I will be more than happy to ensure you are on the first or second floor so you don't have to wait for the elevator.

Thank you and I look forward to your return.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We spent the weekend in Ann Arbor attending a family wedding. Our daughter was in the wedding party. At our daughter's behest, in March 2013 I reserved a room at the Bell Tower because, as our daughter advised "all the family is staying there." I did this even though my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Campus Inn on our last visit to Ann Arbor.

In all my years of traveling in the US I have never stayed in a hotel room as small as the room we stayed in this past weekend at the Bell Tower. Likewise, I have never stayed in a room that did not include a chest or dresser of drawers to unpack our travel bags into. The moment we entered the room I called the front desk to request a larger room with a dresser and was politely, but firmly, advised that the hotel was full and no move options were available. So we spent the weekend in a postage stamp size room living out of our travel bags as we changed for several wedding weekend events each day. Fortunately, we had a great time at the wedding.

In fairness to the hotel I'm going to list the Pro's and Con's of our stay at the Bell Tower.

Pro's:
-It is located in the heart of the campus of the University of Michigan
-Free valet parking for the weekend (an unexpected surprise when we checked out)
-Complimentary continental breakfast
-Front desk staff very polite, even if they were not accomodating
-Our room (one of the four X01 rooms, ours was 401) had a small balcony facing the street

Con's
-Small (dare I say tiny) rooms (we heard other wedding guests voice the same complaint), basically the queen size bed filled the room
-Absence of any furniture to unpack our travel bags into
-Besides a queen size bed only furniture was a small bedside table for the phone and a small arm chair (which we used to hold some of our travel bags)
-With window curtains closed the room was dark, only a single bedside light over the bedside table
-Bed mattress must be ancient, it sagged in the middle so both of us rolled into the middle of the bed all night long preventing a good night's sleep
-No counter space in the bathroom
-At $180/night the price to value ratio was way out of wack

Having made our room reservation almost seven months in advance, I would have expected to be assigned one of the best standard rooms (as opposed to a suite) in the hotel. Perhaps the hotel's management thought assigning to us one of the four balconied rooms in the hotel accomplished this objective.

Come on. The last time I encountered similar con's for a hotel stay was in a hostel in Amsterdam in 1970 when I was in college and didn't care. I read all the top rated reviews of this hotel, but frankly they must have come from Michigan grads who just love repeating the time honored (probably a long time) tradition of staying at the Bell Tower. We will most definitely return to the Campus Inn on our next stay in Ann Arbor.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms 101,201, 301 and 401. These rooms are small and face the street and probably a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. You are correct, we were sold out that weekend due to a few wedding groups or we would have moved you in an instant. I am happy to hear that you received excellent guest service (of course minus the ability to move you to another room).

I had the Director of Housekeeping inspect the mattress in that room since they are only a year old and he requested a new mattress from Serta. We don't expect mattresses to fail that soon, especially since we have a top of the line double pillow top Presidential mattresses.

I agree that our small queens are our smallest rooms and are not designed to allow you to stretch out and relax as much as our standard rooms or suites. I would like to personally book your next stay and offer you a complimentary upgrade to a suite that would offer extra room to relax.

Please contact me directly at 734-769-3010 when booking your next room and I would be more than happy to work with you on your travel plans.