“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
farmington,nm
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed May 20, 2008

My family had the pleasure of staying at the Bell Tower for a recent graduation celebration. Located on the Uof M campus you are within walking distance of many excellent restaurants,bars,shops,etc.
The staff were as friendly and professional as any I have ever encountered. The valet parking was convenient and efficient. Although it is an older hotel, the rooms and common areas are clean and interesting. The shower had unbelievably good water pressure. We had a great stay.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — location and staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank goorangemen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Michigan
Reviewed March 22, 2008

My husband and I really needed a quick getaway and chose the Bell Tower Hotel. We are very familiar with Ann Arbor and love to walk everywhere and stop into the shops and restaurants. The Bell Tower is very well situated for this. We were treated well by all the staff and the valet parking was a nice touch. Our car was brought to us promptly when requested and the nice young man had it all warmed up for us. The rooms are a little dated, but we found it quite comfortable. The bed and pillows were great, but I agree with the others re: the bedspreads. The room was spotless but could use a little paint to freshen them up. There is a very nice bar/restaurant in their lobby (The Earle Uptown). We did not eat dinner there but did have a cocktail at the bar. We have eaten at The Earle (downtown) and had an excellent meal so I would guess this one is similar. All and all we had a great time. I don't know that we would stay here again, I thought it was pretty expensive, but you are paying for location! It gave us just what we needed!

Stayed March 2008
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 23, 2008

Stayed here over a weekend with 4 other couples to celebrate a birthday. I'm pretty jaded (am a travel agent) so was delighted by the lovely hospitality. Staff could not have been more welcoming or attentive. I've learned that you have to compare apples with apples in this business. If you want to stay near the highway in a brand new building, this isn't it. But if you want a delightful little hotel with some personality in downtown Ann Arbor (where you can walk to everything, even in the winter) - then you can't do better! Comfortable bed, good hot shower (with a sliding glass door, not a soggy curtain), sparkling clean room. Loved the fresh, crispy apples in the lobby and the free valet parking. Only a few suggestions to management: Lose the heavy bedspreads that everyone hates today (because they can't possibly be kept clean enough) and replace them with duvets & washable duvet covers. In the interim, at least 3-sheet the beds. Also lose the artificial flowers - a single fresh one is worth a ton of dust-catching silk arrangements. Continental breakfast was just fair. Juice, coffee, bagels, yogurt are fine - but if you're going to serve baked goods like muffins or doughnuts, then make sure they're excellent quality or don't bother. Overall, we all had a lovely experience and would definitely stay here again. It deserves a much higher rating.

Stayed January 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed January 21, 2008

I visited the Bell Tower Hotel for a one night stay during my trip to interview at the U of M Medical Center. The website looked promising and the location on campus was ideal. I looked forward to a comfortable one night stay.

The hotel itself is mediocre and therefore very overpriced. They use metal keys for their doors, there is no option for on-demand movies on the TV, in house amenities are bare-bones (no fitness facilities etc.), and my room did not even provide a coffee-maker. Moreover, one of the bulbs in my room was burned out and not replaced. There is no convenient parking nearby and for parking in the Michigan campus garage, which is right adjacent to the hotel building, you are the mercy of the one-man (U of M college student) valet 'service' who parks the car there for you, since you can't park in the garage without a valid U of M parking card (said the sign outside the very ramp when I tried). I declined their turn down service, but was still accidentally disturbed late in the evening. But these are only small quips...

When initially making reservations by phone, I was guaranteed there was a late check out option, and that I could check out after my interview but before 4 pm for an extra charge of half the nightly rate. While checking in, I was told that the 4 pm deadline was on a space available basis only, and my late checkout could be at the latest 2 pm, for which I would still have to pay half the nightly rate! I was actually prepared to pay for another full night stay as I truly needed a place to change out of my interview suit and did not want to use a restroom (my flight out of DTW was not until ~10 pm anyway). However, the front desk lady (also a college student) promised me that she would provide me a guest room to change if I arrived by 4 pm after my interview the next day. More foolish I truly could not have been, to take her for her word!

Upon returning to the hotel from after interview and before 4 pm the next day, decked out in my french cuffed shirt, full suit, and overcoat (it was January in MI), I proceeded to ask the very same front desk lady to provide me a guest room to change and make good on her promise. At this point she proceeded to ask her supervisor who happened to be present, and the supervisor declined my request despite me explaining the prior verbal promise, stating that it was against hotel policy. She did not offer any consolation, but promptly directed me to a restroom in the basement level to change. Infuriated I just wanted to leave, but had to wait twenty-six minutes in the hotel lobby for the one-man valet service to bring me my vehicle. Luckily, I wasn't in a hurry to catch my flight...

The utter lack of concern for cusomer well being, lack of integrity in customer service, apparently lackluster and hap-hazard management, and truly mediocre overpriced facilities are the reasons I will never ever visit this hotel again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — dire lack of integrity in customer service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank sununit
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2008
The Bell Tower Hotel is a unique European décor hotel. The guest is correct; we are located on the University of Michigan’s campus and proudly offer an evening turndown service and complimentary valet parking and metal keys. Unfortunately, the guest was not aware of our state of the art fitness facility that is open 24 hours.

Our policies allow our guests to check out late if the room is available. We are not able to grant late check outs during the reservation process or any time other than the day of check out.

If the desk agent, valet and the manager on duty were all present at the desk, it didn’t take 26 minutes to retrieve the guests’ vehicle. As the guest stated, the structure is directly next door to the hotel and our average vehicle retrieval takes three minutes.

DeWayne Grann
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 18, 2007

The Bell Tower is a very pleasant, centrally-located hotel. The staff is helpful and friendly, and seemed extremely willing to help guests out with local information, dinner reservations, etc., although I personally did not use these services. My room was immaculate. And as I said, it's in a great location, within walking distance of most things you'd want to do see in Ann Arbor (although my definition of "walking distance" may be more generous than some people's).

That said, the hotel could maybe use a little updating. The small lobby decor was very tastefully decorated, but the bed had an old-fashioned polyester bedspread of the kind I nowadays associate with a lower-class hotel, and the lighting in the room was a little bit on the dim side. Extending wireless internet access throughout the hotel would also be a treat (currently it's available only in the lobby). It might be worth your while to try to get a room above the first floor -- my room looked out onto the busy side parking lot and was only a few feet above ground level, which was a little disconcerting.

All in all, I would totally recommend the Bell Tower -- a nice place to stay in nice town!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Scratchy bedspread
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
baltimore
Reviewed May 23, 2007

Small town motel quality for big city hotel prices. The rooms were NOT AIR CONDITIONED!!!!! The rooms were dirty and the service was thae worst that I have ever experienced. I will NEVER stay here again!!!!!

• Liked — Located on the UM campus
  • Disliked — The service and cleanliness. The hotel is NOT HANDICAP ACCESSIBLE!!!!~!!!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Sherlock1111
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 8, 2007

I was a student at Michigan and always looked to the Bell Tower hotel as a fancy place. I finally got a chance to stay there and I was pretty disappointed. I had expected a boutique hotel and instead found my room blase and boring. I found I wanted to get out on campus more than enjoy the comforts of my room. The location is fantastic - you're across the street from the Bell Tower and Hill Auditorium and the Michigan League. You're down the street from the Union - but if you brought a car, you'll pay for parking. If you're looking for convenience with the location - stay here. If you're looking for a fun and different hotel experience - the Bell Tower is not for you.

• Liked — If you want to visit Michigan's campus, this is in the heart of it.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business