“Should have gone to a known four Star hotel for the price.”
Review of Bell Tower Hotel

Bell Tower Hotel
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
“Should have gone to a known four Star hotel for the price.”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was very disappointed for The price I was charged and The amenities received. I was given a price upon booking over The phone for two adults, but charged a higher price after arriving to The hotel. Also, The water had to run for a really long time In The bathroom basin before it actually got hot. Finally, The free breakfast was not a hot breakfast. It was continental, and I was not pleased at all.

• Stayed January 2013
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I am sorry if you received a different rate upon arrival. While booking, some guests state they only have 1 occupant but upon arrival they have 2. That is the reason for the rate increase.

As for the breakfast, we advertise that it is a continental breakfast. As for the variety, we currently offer fresh squeezed orange juice, grapefruit juice, tropical blend V8 splash, teas, local brewed Bearclaw coffee, cereal, oatmeal, fresh whole fruit, fresh cut up orange and grapefruit, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, donuts, muffins, English muffins, whole wheat and raisin bread and bagels. I am sorry you were not able to find the selection you were looking for.

I am happy to say that we will add a hot breakfast in about a month. We will then have the luxury of adding scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and potatoes but we are not advertising that yet since we are not offering it.

I believe we have a lot to offer and the best guest service in town. You have the luxury of utilizing our complimentary valet service and not the ability to walk anywhere on campus or downtown or you could enjoy your complimentary New York Times delivered to your door while surfing on the complimentary wireless internet if you choose to stay in your room.

Regards,

DeWayne Grann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed two nights while on a medical visit to the U of M hospital. Staff very friendly and helpful. Car service quick. Highlight was the excellent dinner and lunch at Mercy's Restaurant downstairs. Room a bit small but clean, neat and quiet. Will be returning next month.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed dinner at Mercy's and the valet service. We look forward to hosting your next stay in Ann Arbor and I hope your medical appointments went well.

London, UK
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

When i placed my reservation I was told there was valet parking and continental breakfast. When I arrived I was told that I should park between hotel and building next door but that I should leave keys in case construction workers needed to move my Range Rover. When I came down for continental breakfast that was promised when I made reservation, I was told that the hotel was closing after today for renovations and that there was no breakfast today. I was then handed $5 Panera Bread gift card and told to get my own breakfast.
When I checked in I asked for a different room, as I was located above an alley where a couple of bums chatted throughout most of night and I was told sorry that was only room due to construction. The alley location was convenient as I was rudely awakened by delivery trucks and garbage men who chatted below my window at 530 am. This hotel pretends to be world class however other than terrific location it is an expensive joke.

Stayed December 2012
I am sorry you were unhappy with the service you received during your December stay with us. It is true that were were offering $10 Panera gift cards in lieu of our breakfast service. Panera is two doors away from the hotel and most guests enjoy the breakfast selection Panera offers.

You are also correct about the valet service, we only have valet service from 7AM to 11PM. Again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations with that service. Upon check out, there was a valet in house and you walked by him while exiting the building.

We hope you try us again so we are able to prove we are better than your previous stay. Please contact me directly to discuss this situation further as I am always available to listen and react to any guest concern!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed December 4, 2012

AA has a very limited selection of nice hotels downtown which makes the cost more than if they were a mile outside of campus. Hotel has charm and is convenient but is a bit dated for the price. We had a nice stay overnight and free valet is a plus. We were married at the Campus Inn and that hotel has a bit more to offer but the prices were even higher. I like both hotels and since we weren't able to get away for a nice vacation it was a nice overnight stay for us. Close to everything so walking is the way to go. Elevator is very slow so at busy times of the year I can imagine a long wait.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CRK24
Sorry for the delay in responding to this posting. I am glad you liked the continental breakfast and selection we offered.
I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed being right on U of M's campus. It is nice to park your car and not worry about needing it until you check out.
Have a great week.

Melbourne Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I enjoyed my two night stay at the Bell Tower, one of two hotels that are just a few minutes away from UM campus. If you're visiting the university for whatever reason you can't get better than this for convenience. Its an older hotel with a bit of charm. Room are on the small side but I didn't feel cramped. Good free internet was a very definite plus as was the complimentary breakfast which served up coffee, juices, bagels, yoghurt, the usual cereals and hard boiled eggs along with some delicious looking donuts. This is a superior breakfast spread and while there was no hot food didn't miss the awful gluggy and disgusting powdered scrambled egg that many hotels offer up. This hotel just hot the spot perfectly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thanks for your positive feedback about the hotel's amenities and location. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Ann Arbor.

Los Angeles
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Bell Tower Hotel is owned by the same people that own the Campus Inn. While they each have some distinct features they are quite similar. The Bell Tower is a bit closer to the University and State Street, but the rooms can be a bit noisy—they are next to a restaurant and an alley so there is noise late at night as the restaurant dumps its garbage and with college kids hanging out, and in the mornings there is noise from garbage trucks a couple of times a week. The hotel restaurant does not serve a hot breakfast but does have a free buffet breakfast with cold cereals, bagels, juice, etc. There is also a bowl of apples in the lobby which is a nice touch. There isn’t a fitness center to speak of, a single treadmill and bike in the basement, but the hotel provides access to a UM facility. There is valet parking only, I have never used it but I have frequently heard people complain. The staff are very helpful and friendly, particularly the breakfast attendant. A turndown service leaves a chocolate on the nightstand along with a weather report for the next day. It is a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank runkate
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and its location. Our complimentary continental breakfast offers a bit more than you mentioned. 100% fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh local bagels, fresh local donuts that guests rave about, three juices, yogurt, a variety of fresh fruit, muffins, waffles, a selection of cereals, and hard boiled eggs.

I also am not sure about the complaints you hear about the valet service. This by far is one of the most complimented complimentary services we offer. Hopefully, you will have the opportunity to experience it for yourself next time you are here and comment on your personal experience. I guarantee you will appreciate it and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Regards,

Grand Isle, Vermont
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The hotel is in a great location for business at U of Michigan, next to campus. It's an old style small hotel, rather European in style. Rooms are on the small side but very nicely appointed. Okay free internet access although a bit slow. Service is very friendly. Valet parking is free. Free NY Times. All in all a very nice place to stay, one of the best choices in Ann Arbor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of the hotel. Hopefully next time your are in, you will be able to enjoy the in house restaurant, Mercy's. They offer each and every guest a complimentary appetizer throughout their stay.

Thanks again.