“Nice Hotel,great location and staff needs some updating”
Review of Bell Tower Hotel

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Bermuda2010
“Nice Hotel,great location and staff needs some updating”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We only spent a night at the Bell Tower, but had a lovely time.It is a charming hotel with great staff in a central campus location. We had to switch rooms (nothing major) and the staff was so kind and accommodating I noticed the 2nd room had been refurbished and had a beautiful bathroom, the first room bath was rundown.. Some rooms can be noisy due to location and I think the doors to the rooms in general are thin. We actually though someone was in the room with us at times, sincerely!

Thank you Bell Tower Hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us. I am sorry that you had to change rooms, we never want to inconvenience our guests in any way.

I agree with you in regards to the bathrooms. We have renovated half of the bathrooms and will continue with the other side of the hotel in two months. We look forward to having top of the line bathrooms in the hotel. We are even mocking up televisions in the mirrors and heated bathroom floors.

Again, thank you for your patronage and we look forward to your next stay in Ann Arbor.

Bell Tower Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The Bell Tower is a cute hotel located right on the University of Michigan campus. I stay at either this hotel or its sister hotel, the Campus Inn, during most of my visits to Ann Arbor. It is in a terrific location and one can enjoy nearly all of Ann Arbor without a car. In addition to being near the University, it is walking distance to the restaurants on Main Street and well as the student orientated areas of State Street and South University. (I prefer some of the more modern hotels out by the highway but they necessitate a car so the Bell Tower or Campus Inn are much easier.)

The staff at the Bell Tower are friendly and helpful. There is a nice continental breakfast and free wi-fi in the rooms and in the lobby. They also have a computer in the lobby to print boarding passes. The hotel recently added coffee machines in the rooms which for me is an important innovation. The rooms are small but clean but could use some updating--the mattresses are sagging, the televisions are quite small, the showers need new heads. They still have the old fashioned bedspreads rather than the new duvet-style comforters most hotels now use. Adding refrigerators to the rooms and updating the bedding and towels would go a long way to improving the quality of the hotel.

There is a tiny fitness center with one treadmill and one elliptical machine located in the basement. I would encourage the management to expand the fitness room as they have done at the Campus Inn, as it stands, it is not really possible for more than one person to use the fitness room at a time. Because Ann Arbor is on the western edge of the eastern time zone, it is typically too dark to run outside in the morning and a more useable fitness center would be a nice feature.

All in all, a good choice for Ann Arbor but could easily be made much better.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty quiet.
1 Thank kmrunnerLA
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank for taking the time to respond about your recent stay at the Bell Tower Hotel. I am happy to hear that our employees did everything in our power to get you in the room before our guaranteed check in time.

Our hotel has completed bathroom renovations in half of the hotel. We are continuing with the other half after this year's football season.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond. We look forward to your next trip to the Bell Tower Hotel.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed at the Bell Tower Hotel while on campus for an event at the Michigan Union.

Valet parking was complimentary and prompt, so that was great. The hotel is fairly small, so I actually had to wait for my room to be ready, but at the same time, when the staff learned I had an event to attend, they did everything they could to get my room ready ahead of the guaranteed check-in time by directing the housekeeping staff to go to my room first for cleaning. That was greatly appreciated.

The rooms were fairly outdated (I think I heard the last renovation was in the 1980s), but they were clean. Some chips around the door frames and such, but nothing glaring. The hotel also offered free wi-fi and a continental breakfast the next morning (as well as chocolate on the night stand during check-in).

The best thing the Bell Tower Hotel had going for it, though, was the location. You couldn't ask for a better location to campus and State Street. It was a short walk to the Union, and all the restaurants and shops. I was thankful, especially since the parking in Ann Arbor can be so atrocious. I was able to walk to Ashley's, grab some food and a beer, and just walk back. I wanted some Starbucks the next morning and it was just around the block!

I think this hotel would be a 10 with just some modernizing in the rooms.

1 Thank millennialdad2621
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Thank you for your response to your recent stay. I am very happy to hear we were able to accommodate you before our guaranteed check in time. I agree our bathrooms are outdated in half of the hotel. Half of the hotel's bathrooms were completely renovated and the remainder will be renovated shortly after the football season. We also recently added new flat screen televisions to each guest room.

Again, I are happy you enjoyed your stay and loved the downtown location.

Regards,

Peabody
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Accompanied my daughter for a two day visit to Univ. of Michigan, highly recomend this hotel since it is in the the heart of the campus, walking distance to most points of interest, free valet parking, the staff was very accomodating. It is in an older building so the bathroom in our room was dated but overall it was very clean & comfortable with a certain amount of expected city noise. Free wi-fi was a big plus for my dauther.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We always appreciate guests sharing.
I agree with your comment about the outdated bathrooms. We just completed bathroom renovations in half of the hotel and will continue on the other half the day after football season. We are mocking up two bathrooms with top of the line amenities like heated floors, televisions in the mirrors and the highest quality granite for the counter tops. I am excited for this project to continue and you to experience these updates during your next visit.
Thank you again!

Lake Stevens, Washington
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have stayed at The Bell Tower the fisrt week of August every year for the past 3 years. I was attending NTI with the IBEW and there was not much "on campus" with regard to rooms. We got lucky and our training director picked it the first year. After that it was a hands-down unanimous vote that we make sure and book early. Chocolate on the pillow every night, beautifully refurbished bathrooms, friendly staff, and a decent continental breakfast each morning.

Room Tip: I always stayed on the second floor, mainly just luck of the draw, I don't think it matters whic...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We are very happy that you had an excellent experience.

Nurember
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I had heard nice reviews for this hotel, and it was very pretty, but not nice to stay in. There were 3 problems:

1. very loud. I could hear the man on the phone in the next room, and could very clearly hear someone else while I was in the bathroom. So clearly that if the bathroom had not been so small, I would have thought there was someone else in there with me. There was also LOTS of street noise, including many trucks reversing into the alley below my window: beep beep beep beep beep beep

2. the free breakfast was terrible. I could find nothing to eat. there were no hot food selections at all.

3. the shower head was not adjustable and was clearly designed for someone taller than me (I am 5'6"). In the very small shower stall I could not get far enough away from the shower head to get the water to fall on me properly.

Pros: free and good wireless!

1 Thank Stephanie E
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at The Bell Tower Hotel for an overnight prospective college visit to the University of Michigan. Apparently, my Father stayed at The Bell Tower many times for business 40+ years ago! We loved the small, "boutique" nature of the Hotel and the great location in the heart of Ann Arbor. The staff was extremely friendly. A special shout out to "Bill," who helped us with directions and restaurant selections! All in all a great trip. If my daughter decides to go Blue...I'll be back regularly!

-Heidi

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words. We are truly happy that we are able to please you as much as your father was years ago. We look forward to having you stay with us throughout your daughter's schooling at U of M. Best of luck to her decision! Go Blue