“Excellent BBQ, watch how you rack up the bill”
Review of Westside Barbecue

Westside Barbecue
Ranked #124 of 634 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Reviewed August 18, 2017

I visited on a Tuesday for lunch before all the students returned to town. Wasn't too busy - can't imagine what the school year traffic will bring to this place.

The typical entree is $14-15. I ordered a pork shoulder, brisket and two dirty rice entrees for four of us. Everyone enjoyed their food immensely, all done perfectly. Although at the time I thought my dirty rice portion was smaller than the large portions everyone was raving about - turns out they gave me the sandwich entrees and two dirty rice SIDES...no wonder they were smaller than I expected, but for $5.00, it served a very nice lunch.

It would have been close to a $60 lunch, but those sides served its purpose and allowed us to reduce the bill a little. I think a little creative ordering can keep your bill down. The food is worth it, I hope they can keep this good work going for a long time.

1  Thank Amge55

Reviewed August 16, 2017

I had the Pulled Pork sandwich, my wife had the brisket sandwich. Tasty, the side of slaw was sharp and good. Small menu, but if it is all as good as those, you don't need more. to drink, water or sweet tea for $1.

Once the students arrive, this place will be mobbed.

1  Thank ProPhotowriter
Reviewed June 19, 2017

On a whim we decided to get takeout from WB's for Father's Day. Checking out the menu online we at first thought it was limited, but once you think about it...what more do they need? They have 5 main items, 4 side items with fish, beef ribs and lamb on Friday, Saturday, Sunday as specials. Leaving Spencer to relax (it was Father's Day) I jumped in the car thinking 'this should be easy' - not! Word is out about WB and the small parking lot was jammed and there was a line out the door. Luckily, this place not only has amazing food - they are also super efficient! By the time I parked the line was contained to inside. TIP: Know what you want before you walk in. After you walk in, queue up, order, pay, step aside and wait for your name to be called. As I waited, I took it all in. The young man at the register was an excellent multitasker - taking orders and payments, balancing containers stuffed full of food and calling out names, handing out containers and getting information from another gentleman on the status of what they are out of and for how long. There is a table with chairs, but I didn't see anyone staying to eat - it was all take out. TIP: If you have multiple containers, they have bags available - you just have to ask and might want to bag it yourself, this dude is BUSY! Once home with this delicious smelling food, we dug right in without waiting for dinner. The portions are LARGE and there was plenty to have another meal later. Spencer had a full rack with mac and cheese. M&C is really creamy and rich - perfect with the tangy ribs that were fall-off-the-bone delicious! I had the pork shoulder with the bun on the side. The coleslaw was very good as well, not too wet and with tasty pickles on top. Total price $40 which is a good deal for this high quality, large servings of barbecue. So if you haven't been - go and embrace the experience!

Reviewed June 6, 2017

There is a small woodpile out back. Good sign. Inside, well, there is a counter, and one communal table with perhaps eight stools. Picnic tables in front of the building. All the ambiance of a Costco food court. This is not where you want to take your true love when you are ready to pop the question.

Menu selections, rightly, are few. Brisket, pulled pork, chicken, ribs, and sometimes fish and lamb chops. Usual sides. My brisket sandwich with a wee little side dollop of slaw was about fifteen bucks. That is high dollar for something you eat with your hands and a spork. However, the amount of meat was significant, thus explaining to some extent the charge. Some of the beef was a bit fatty, and there were no burnt ends, but it was tasty enough. The sauce was middle of the road good. Alas, the slaw was meh.

It is, I think, a work in progress, with great potential. For research purposes I will return to try other menu choices.

Reviewed March 25, 2017 via mobile

This was a very pleasant surprise
I was told the place is new about seven months old
Been from Chicago and traveling over the south I am fussy about my barbecue this was as good as anybody's anywhere
Forget about ambience there isn't any and that's fine the food is great
There is only one oversize community style table in the restaurant does mainly carry out
I had two meals there one ribs and one brisket both were great
Eat there you won't be sorry