“Embrace The Experience and Enjoy The Food!”
Review of Westside Barbecue

Westside Barbecue
Ranked #126 of 645 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Reviewed June 19, 2017

On a whim we decided to get takeout from WB's for Father's Day. Checking out the menu online we at first thought it was limited, but once you think about it...what more do they need? They have 5 main items, 4 side items with fish, beef ribs and lamb on Friday, Saturday, Sunday as specials. Leaving Spencer to relax (it was Father's Day) I jumped in the car thinking 'this should be easy' - not! Word is out about WB and the small parking lot was jammed and there was a line out the door. Luckily, this place not only has amazing food - they are also super efficient! By the time I parked the line was contained to inside. TIP: Know what you want before you walk in. After you walk in, queue up, order, pay, step aside and wait for your name to be called. As I waited, I took it all in. The young man at the register was an excellent multitasker - taking orders and payments, balancing containers stuffed full of food and calling out names, handing out containers and getting information from another gentleman on the status of what they are out of and for how long. There is a table with chairs, but I didn't see anyone staying to eat - it was all take out. TIP: If you have multiple containers, they have bags available - you just have to ask and might want to bag it yourself, this dude is BUSY! Once home with this delicious smelling food, we dug right in without waiting for dinner. The portions are LARGE and there was plenty to have another meal later. Spencer had a full rack with mac and cheese. M&C is really creamy and rich - perfect with the tangy ribs that were fall-off-the-bone delicious! I had the pork shoulder with the bun on the side. The coleslaw was very good as well, not too wet and with tasty pickles on top. Total price $40 which is a good deal for this high quality, large servings of barbecue. So if you haven't been - go and embrace the experience!

Reviewed June 6, 2017

There is a small woodpile out back. Good sign. Inside, well, there is a counter, and one communal table with perhaps eight stools. Picnic tables in front of the building. All the ambiance of a Costco food court. This is not where you want to take your true love when you are ready to pop the question.

Menu selections, rightly, are few. Brisket, pulled pork, chicken, ribs, and sometimes fish and lamb chops. Usual sides. My brisket sandwich with a wee little side dollop of slaw was about fifteen bucks. That is high dollar for something you eat with your hands and a spork. However, the amount of meat was significant, thus explaining to some extent the charge. Some of the beef was a bit fatty, and there were no burnt ends, but it was tasty enough. The sauce was middle of the road good. Alas, the slaw was meh.

It is, I think, a work in progress, with great potential. For research purposes I will return to try other menu choices.

Reviewed March 25, 2017 via mobile

This was a very pleasant surprise
I was told the place is new about seven months old
Been from Chicago and traveling over the south I am fussy about my barbecue this was as good as anybody's anywhere
Forget about ambience there isn't any and that's fine the food is great
There is only one oversize community style table in the restaurant does mainly carry out
I had two meals there one ribs and one brisket both were great
Eat there you won't be sorry

Reviewed February 1, 2017

Nice selection of pulled pork, beef brisket and even smoked lamb chops on Sunday. Open most days or until food runs out (and it does often). Well done!

Reviewed October 20, 2016

I had the pork shoulder sandwich. I was a little concerned about the price, until I saw the size of the "sandwich." It was more than a meal size portion of meat, with the bun as a suggestion. The pork was delicious. It came with slaw that was also good. I got it to go, and one container of sauce was not enough for all that bbq. Normally I prefer a vinegar or mustard based bbq sauce, but the Westside sauce is very good.

I will definitely go back.