“Love The Sanctuary Inn”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Alpena
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Love The Sanctuary Inn”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed at the Sanctuary Inn this month. Chad, the young man who checked us in was friendly and checked us in efficiently. The room was very clean and quiet. The hotel in general looked very well kept. The price was excellent and in line for a Northern Michigan stay. We were very pleased with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Diana L, General Manager at Ramada Alpena, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Our employees work very hard to please each guest. I will be sure to share this with Chad, who will be quite pleased that you remembered him by name. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We made a last minute trip to the Festival of Lighthouses, October 10 to 13. The room was extremely clean and comfortable. The beds gave a great nights sleep. Staff was friendly and nice. The price was good. Will go back and will suggest to friends.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the festival and the time you spent in our hotel. We hope you will join us for next year’s Lighthouse Festival, which will be October 9 – 12, 2014.
Lansing, MI
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few years. I do not see much change from when it was the Holiday Inn other than the name. It even appears that most of the staff are the same. I was here for business, and for the price I think this is an average to above average hotel. I found the property to be well landscaped and maintained. Parking was easy to find close to doorways, the exterior was well lit, and the doors were secured whenever I entered the building. I agree the rooms could use some updating, but I found my room to be very clean and overall well maintained. The beds were quite comfortable and the bed linens were nice. As with many hotels, there were inadequate outlets for charging various devices. Internet was very easy to access. The hotel was extremely quiet at night, and the curtains darken the room very well. I slept very good all three nights of my stay. Bathroom linens were lower quality, but the toiletries provided were quite nice. I did not use the pool area, but overall it does appear quite dated. I also attended a banquet in the hotel as part of my meeting. The food was slightly above average, but I thought the service was well above average. They had adequate wait staff to attend to all the tables, fresh food was continually brought out, and our dishes were politely cleared with little delay. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for business travel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Diana L, General Manager at Ramada Alpena, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you had a good stay and hope to have you stay with us again soon.
Bonita Springs
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Sanctuary Inn in Alpena is a very over priced hotel very much in need of a renovation. The wall paper is from the 80's. It was formerly the Holiday Inn and just changed hands in July or so. It was in need of renovation last year when it was the Holiday Inn too. The staff was fine but the room floors were not even clean. If you took a shower and walked on the floors your feet were black before you got to put your shoes on. It might be an OK place to stay for half the price but there would be no reason to pay the prices they are asking. Though we did not use the pool area we were told that it was also in need of renovation. The staff was friendly enough but that does not make up for the poor condition of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank BzyBug
Diana L, General Manager at Ramada Alpena, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay at the Sanctuary Inn. We agree that our wallpaper is dated. We are currently working on a plan to update the wall décor in our sleeping rooms. Most guests find our indoor recreation center to be a huge asset. Less than six months ago our swimming pool area was resurfaced with one of the highest quality products currently available. I hope that you will give us another try and go into the indoor recreation center to see for yourself that it’s really quite nice.

I am glad to hear that you found our staff friendly. We consider our highly-trained staff to be a great asset!

Travelers are raving about these Alpena hotels

Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel is in need of a remodel. Kids will love the large pool area. There is a small arcade and miniture golf and a pool table. Very big wide open play area with lots of tables to eat at right outside of your room (ground floor). Our kids loved it. The hubby and I were not quite so impressed. The thing I noticed the most was that everything seemed damp. The carpet in our room was damp and you needed to wear shoes in the room or have wet feet. The bedding and everything had just an overall damp feel to it. There was not vent fan in the bathroom so the feeling was compounded after a shower. Staff was friendly. No breakfast but the price was very decent.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with little ones ask for a ground floor room that opens to the pool area. You...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comment. We do experience a dampness in poolside rooms during very hot, humid weather. Unfortunately we experienced a few long periods of such weather this summer.

Our bathroom vent fans are extremely quiet. This should be a big plus, but it often causes people to think there is no fan. If you hold a piece of tissue up near the ceiling vent, you can watch it being pulled upward.

You are correct when you say that the kids will love the large pool area! I don’t think we have found a child yet who doesn’t.

We are happy that your overall visit was pleasant. We hope that you will continue to use the Sanctuary Inn for your lodging needs.
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

This used to be the holidayinn, the lobby is nice, the pool is great for kids. The hallways and lack of more than one elevator makes it a challenge lugging your baggage up the steps. The rooms are ok, the hallways and rooms could use a real up grade and detailed cleaninging. Wifi did not work in the room but did in the lobby bar. The bar staff were great and anyone arriving late, the restaurant closes at 9pm! And I mean doors locked and cook staff gone at 9:01pm!!!! For the cost it is just ok. I will try another hotel next time.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Albyfli
Gaylord, Michigan
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Seemed to be the highest priced hotel in the area while we were there for a softball tournament in July 2013. Didn't like that there was no continential breakfast for the price we paid. My teenage dautghter and I came back to the hotel after a movie around 11:45 at night. We had a room in the back of the hotel and I was unnerved to find three men sitting on coolers drinking beer next to the entrance by our room. They made some comments to us, but that was all. I was disappointed to find that the entrance also opened at that hour with no room key necessary. The hot water in our room barely came out resulting in a poor showers. If we attend next years tournament I will definately try another of the areas motels!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kimawrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpena
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpena - Downtown
#1 of 4 in Presque Isle
Thunder Bay Resort
Thunder Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Hillman

Been to Ramada Alpena? Share your experiences!