“Strong smoke smell in non-smoking room”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Days Inn Alpena

Days Inn Alpena
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Alpena
Detroit, Michigan
“Strong smoke smell in non-smoking room”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We reserved 3 rooms in non-smoking section. After reading reviews which were negative about older section, we specifically asked for newer section and were told it was all booked (a month ahead of stay). We even asked to be put on a waiting list if any rooms might become available. (We were told this was not possible.) Turns out 1 of the rooms when we arrived had VERY strong smoke smell. When reported to front desk, we were told no other rooms were available but they could spray in 1/2 hr. if wanted. Desk said she'd note smell in customer info so we wouldn't get charged for smoking at check-out time. (There are numerous signs in non-smoking rooms about $100 charge if smoke is detected in room.) We were in Alpena for formal affair so clothes from smoky room were put in our other 2 rooms overnight to avoid smelling smoky the following day. Turns out that note of our complaint was not in the records at check-out. Manager said we would not be assured $100 wouldn't be added to our bill until desk person from sign-in was contacted. When that person couldn't be reached, they refused to give us anything in writing -we'd just have to take their word. (Like we had the night before that our complaint would be entered in records which never happened.) The smoke in the non-smoking room and management's handling of the complaint ruined our experience at Alpena Days Inn. Too bad because the experience in the other 2 rooms was very positive. It makes you wonder what they are doing with the $100 fine they supposedly collected from the person who smoked. Obviously it's not being used to correct the problem. The overwhelming smoke smell in the non-smoking room was enough to keep us from using Days Inn again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Cleanliness consistent. Coffee hot. Pool fun. Mattresses could use updating.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Lake Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I travelled from Australia and stayed here with my husband and teenage daughter. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The staff were all lovely, and the breakfast was plentiful. We stayed in what I understand to be the "new" part of the hotel, and there was definitely no musty smell as stated in other reviews. The pool was clean and great entertainment when relatives travelled from Lansing to come and visit us. It is walking distance to walmart, applebees and mc donalds. The computer was available for use in the lobby, and there was free wi-fi which was greatly appreciated by myself and my daughter so we could keep in touch with family back at home. We will deifintely stay here on our yearly visits to Alpena!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the New section.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Gardiner, Maine
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Would not stay there again on business--for families, it could be fine. The staff are friendly--to a point. The rooms are decent and clean. But don't expect much else. When I was there, the computer they had in lobby was unavailable for two days. All rooms are along one main corridor, which means screaming kids will go by on their way to pool. I tried to use fitness room, but had to go back to front desk to get key. A clerk was training someone. When I asked for key, she took it out and instead of giving it to me, handed it to the trainee and said, "She'll give it to you when she's finished with this customer," which pretty much blew me away. I walked back again to the room and found neither the TV nor the treadmill worked--called and was told there was a switch on the side of treadmill which I couldn't find, so gave up. Finally, because my flight was canceled and then postponed, I asked if I could check out an hour or two late. The place was half empty and I'd been up since 3:30 AM. Nope, I had to leave and when I checked out, the clerk neither looked at me nor thanked me. I'd go with the Holiday Inn or Best Western. Not worth the hassle.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Orland Park, Illinois
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Stayed two days in musty room . Room was clean ,but smelled bad. Was told this is [ old section.....]
Clerk could not upgrade due to rules by manager???? Room sprayed by clerk: left can tor us to use latter. Strayed here times time past 8 years. Internet connection hard to connect. Front desk could help .. After some time got connected.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Room smelled moldy had trouble sleeping due to allergies. Good continental breakfast nice shower mattress was old. Near apple bees which gets packed close to walmart

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I traveled up to Alpena to meet a friend and I needed a place to stay for a few hours. Just a place to shower, take a nap, and entertain my friend. The staff was very friendly and since I'd be napping in the afternoon found me a very quiet room in the back. Later in the evening there was some traffic in the hall (mostly kids on the way to the pool) but that did not bother my friend and I.

I checked out about 3am and since I paid cash I had to leave a deposit. The desk clerk was so nice in refunding my deposit without checking the room. I will definitely use this hotel again on future trips.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpena
Ramada Alpena
#1 of 3 in Alpena
Water's Edge Motel
Water's Edge Motel
#3 of 4 in Alpena

Been to Days Inn Alpena? Share your experiences!