“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cellar - CLOSED

The Cellar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Alpena
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved The Cellar! The food is amazing and I love looking out at the river while eating dinner! I recommend this place to everyone!

• Visited July 2014

Fort Myers, Florida
“Hit or Miss....”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

The first time that I visited the Cellar it was a wonderful dining experience- comparable to 5 star NY restaurants. However, future experiences were not quite as nice. My last visit was truly disappointing. I'd taken family for a celebration of a monumental birthday - there were only 4 in our party, so manageable. Our waitress was not attentive. In fact disinterested in our questions and seemingly put out by our dissatisfaction. We ate our meals and paid our bills.

I later contacted the owners via e-mail and they really didn't seem to care about customer satisfaction. I would choose the much better Courtyard, with freshly grown greens and garden herbs and superb attention to patron satisfaction. A shame, because there is definitely potential here.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank rlynn2014
Muskegon MI
“Unexpected dining experience in a small town.”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

We celebrated our wedding anniversary by going to The Cellar Restaurant in Alpena, MI. The food was excellent, beginning with the appetizer of Ahi Tuna with Ocean Salad followed by entrees of Chilean Sea Bass and the Gyro. The wine was very nice, as was the selection of micro brewed beers. We finished our meal with a flourless torte. It was wonderful. The entire experience was highlighted and enhanced by our server, Lauren. She is a professional server, and this type of service is a rarity. It was very much appreciated.

• Visited May 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best restaurant in NE Michigan”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I love this restaurant. The married couple who own it also work it..he is the chef and she not only serves his wonderful creations to customers, but bakes the best desserts I have ever had anywhere. Be sure to make this a stop when visiting Alpena. It is located on the Thunder Bay River, so there is a very pleasant view out the window. Please note they are only open Friday and Saturday evenings as this time. Note: it can be a little noisy if the restaurant is busy.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Vicki B
Temecula, California
“This chef is very talented...unfortunately the surrounding areas are not quite up to par with fine cuisine....”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Folks, adventure out of the box, no need to walk out of a restaurant because you are unfamiliar with a certain cuisine. Meat & potatoes is great, however its not the God of all foods. Expand your palette, you most likely will enjoy it.

Cocktails:
Patron margaritas were amazing!
My husband ordered a "Belgian wheat" Jeffe beer. Not to heavy, quite nice.

Appetizers:
Calamari- so unique (not the typical) salt, pepper a bit of spice accompanied with a sweet spicy dip. No tentacles, they are cut into strips. So much more appealing.

Entrees:
The duck was excellent (best I have ever had). Tender, not fatty, perfect profile of spices vs. curry, as curry (can be overbearing) not this one, it was superb.

Hanger steak was so ridiculously tasty, rare (as I requested) the sauce was not overpowering, it was right on point. The redskin mash potatoes were tasty.

Soup:
My husbands "beet soup" was incredible. Creamy, although light in taste but full of flavor.

Salads:
Their homemade blue cheese ....wow where do I start, one of the better blue cheese salads I've had in quite a while. The candy pecans & grapes added the perfect texture. Cold lettuce (crispy) just perfect!

Dessert:
The bread pudding was slightly to sweet (for our liking) great taste although a bit too rich.

Ambiance:
Unfortunately, I had to deduct a point ( -1) for the ambiance bringing it to a 4 star rating.

Service:
Michelle (owner) handled our table...she is super engaging, accommodating and just real open to listening to her customers likes & dislikes. A true professional to the full extent of the word!

Thanks Michelle for such stellar service & great recommendations.

Hang in there, your reviews speak volumes ...the folks in Alpena as well as neighboring cities hopefully will come around to venture out and experience new dishes besides the same old pedestrian "meat & potatoes".

Tell chef (hubby) good things happen to those that take risks :)

Verdict:
As far as the "food" truly the best in NE MICHIGAN!

The Cellar delivers, I highly recommend!!!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank billionsandnocure