“What a great historic restaurant in a beautiful setting”
Review of John A Lau Saloon

John A Lau Saloon
Ranked #7 of 77 Restaurants in Alpena
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“What a great historic restaurant in a beautiful setting”
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

There is just so much atmosphere to absorb in this restaurant. Even their outdoor Beer Garden is enchanting. The food and drink was excellent. We highly recommend the perch and salmon dishes. The service was excellent. This is a must see destination for any visitors coming to Alpena.

Mason, Michigan, USA
“Saloon”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Easy to find in Old Town Alpena. A nice old saloon atmosphere and deco. The food was delicious and the service was Great.

New England
“50-50”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Generally, I focus on solid positive reviews and warnings to really bad visits. The in between I avoid unless I make several visits and determine a trend. This is a rare - 50-50 review. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the selection of beer & wine, the food and service was below average, especially for the price and number of patrons the night my group visited. Part of my group has returned several times with same result and returned for specific good beers and deserts. Being a little longer in the tooth look for a B+ in all categories as opposed to A's in one and C's & below in others. So the tap menu for beers are very good. Well served, when you can have the wait staff close the loop of what you want, i.e. a long wait and within 10 feet of the bar. Wines are equally very good. The food was small portion and very long in arriving. I understood a large group were ahead of us, but for an overall evening of around 60% capacity it was to long. I will return to Saloon. For the beer & wine, for maybe an appetizer, or dessert but probably not a main meal.

• Visited August 2014
Camden,Oh
“Give this a Pass”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

My husband and I ate here our last day in Alpena. A volunteer at the Besser museum recommended it. When we walked in the front door we asked"Is this the haunted restaurant'"? She replied this is John Lau.Not so friendly. Ok.It was a cool rainy day. I ordered hot tea. No sugar, no tea spoon. Got the sugar,used my fork to stir. I ordered yellow perch cooked on cedar plank. I got fried fish,yellow perch, I do not know.Bread was good as was the chicken soup. My husband got the burger,steak fries which were good. Can't mess up a burger.Our server was not rude,just really not engaged,seemed distracted.With all the wonderful places to eat in Alpena,I might give this a pass. Very pricy. Next time we will try JJ'S across the street.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Susan S
Farmington, MI
“Food was Average”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Great atmosphere for seating - both indoors and outside on patio decorated with antiques. The food was average for the price. Service was acceptable for a large group of eight adults. Nice beer choices.

1 Thank myxbze