“Fine inexpensive motel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oak Park, Illinois
“Fine inexpensive motel”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed here two nights while in Alma to participate in my college class's fiftieth reunion.

The very reasonable price reflects the fact that the accommodations are basic. But, surprisingly for the price, the details of the various basic elements were quite perfectly implemented. My room was immaculate, attractively decorated and featured a very comfortable bed, other useful pieces of furniture, a large modern TV, a small refrigerator and plenty of hanging space (and hangers) for clothes. The bathroom was also spotless, featured a good quality European-style shower head (usable fixed or hand-held) - and provided truly hot water around the clock. Nowhere in either room did I find evidence of wear and tear or shabbiness of any sort. There was easy-to-use WiFi .

The location, for a very conveniently close to the main north/south highway establishment, was definitely above average - with a large grassy treed area across a small driveway from the room doors. There was occasionally some engine noise from vehicles on the smaller road into Alma on the other (rear) side of the building, but it did not interfere with my sleep. This sturdy older (though beautifully renovated and maintained) building provided excellent insulation from the bit of traffic noise and from the sounds of other visitors (the place was full up both nights I was there - but I never heard any evidence of the other people through the apparently thick walls).

Lastly, the two women who have long owned and operated this small motel are terrific - professional, friendly and helpful. For example, since I ended up arriving long after the time they generally close up the office (I got in close to 11 p.m. rather than the 7 or 8 I'd been aiming for) they left the room open for me and let me take care of the formalities the next morning. And though I had taken the room for three nights (to cover the unlikely possibility that I might want to stay one more night after the festivities ended), I decided to head out after the first two nights. But when I insisted that I pay, as I'd promised to, for all three nights they were equally insistent that I get my money back for the third night. The matter was resolved, happily for both sides, by their managing in just a quick call or two, to arrange for someone on their "wait list" (yes, they had one!) to take the newly available room.

By the way, small can be very nice: with no more than ten rooms, all are ground-level, so it is simple to pull in and park - so very conveniently - right in from of one's door. And the office is just a few steps walk for any visitor.

If I visit my old alma mater another time, I'll certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank grandmaEthel
MichellePs, Owner at Triangle Motel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review. We appreciate all the reviews and it's always interesting to see what "amenities" and features are important to and noticed by guests. We have tried to anticipate guests needs and are pleased when it seems we have met those needs. We wish you well and hope to see you for the next reunion!
Michelle & Judy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Glencoe, Ontario Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at the Triangle Motel on a weekend trip for races at Stanton Michigan. What a treat is was to stay there. We were welcomed at the desk, and they were so helpful with directions and other questions we had. The rooms were spotless, the beds comfy and we really enjoyed our stay there. Im sure we will head back to Stantan races again, and will most definitely stay at the Triangle! Thanks
Carrie De Schutter

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CarrieFD
MichellePs, Owner at Triangle Motel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are glad that your room matched your expectations and that you were pleasantly surprised. We hope to see you (and your friends) next time you are in the area. Thanks again,
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have stayed three nights at the Triangle Motel on two separate occasions. It is superb in every way. Michelle and Judy are true professionals: friendly, courteous, and efficient. We will always stay with them whenever in the Alma/Ithaca environs. Daniel and June Walcott

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MichellePs, Owner at Triangle Motel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Mr. & Mrs. Walcott~
Thank you for your review. It has been a pleasure getting to know you and we are thrilled to be your go to place when in the Alma/Ithaca environs. We look forward to your next visit and we will always do our best to continue to earn your business.
Park Forest, Illinois
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was in Alma for a work assignment. Yes it is true that you can not judge this place from outside. This was the best place I had stayed the whole week. It was comfortable, cozy, and quiet. It felt like I was in a friend's well kept home. Everything was clean and I felt very safe taking my shoes off. Bathroom was awesome. Great WiFi. The young lady was very customer friendly. I hope to find a reason to go back for leisure.

Green Features: This was very environmentally friendly regarding lighting, appliances and no smoking in rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking your time to write a review for us. "A friend's well kept home", what a compliment. That is truly the feeling we strive for.
Thank you so much.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Excellent value and very very clean!!!!! We will be staying here again when our travels take us to Alma!! The staff are friendly and very ready to accommodate our needs. The carpet was even clean next to the wall! The bathroom was spotless!! Great place to stay!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our motel. We are pleased that you were happy with your room. The fact that you made mention of the cleanliness always means a lot, but considering it's what you do for a living, makes us proud! We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the Alma area.
Manistee, Michigan
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband races at Spartan Speedway in Mason Michigan (when time allows) and we needed to find a nice clean reasonably priced place to sleep for a few hours to break up the drive home after a long day of practicing and racing. After reading the reviews here on tripadvisor we were able to find the perfect place for us to rest our heads. This hotel was clean and owners were very accommodating to our needs. We'll be staying here again for sure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MichellePs, Owner at Triangle Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are so glad to have met your needs and look forward to seeing you next time you are in our area.
Thanks again~
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Enjoyed for many stays
Excellent value & clean. A gem. Best in Alma area rooms always clean. A piece of enjoyment locally. Don't look any further for perfection. A plus motel for family & friends. Will recommend to my friends for their Alma stays.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank cpimji2
MichellePs, Owner at Triangle Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your review and for your recommendation, as word of mouth is our best form of advertisement. We are pleased to have you as a repeat guest and will do our best to continue to earn your business.
Michelle & Judy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alma
Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites
Baymont Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant
Maxfield's Inn
Maxfield's Inn
#1 of 1 in Edmore

Been to Triangle Motel? Share your experiences!