“Fun fall time camp ground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Allendale
Allendale/Grand Rapids West KOA
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We went on the trick or treat weekend and it was a great time for all. Everyone decorated their campers, the kids got to go trick or treating, paint pumpkins, do a scavenger hunt, and even had a costume competition. The staff is so friendly and the kids have plenty to do.
The fishing ponds are kind of weak and the pool is a little old looking but they have a cool water balloon launch game that lets you do head to head battle with your loved ones and all you have to do is buy the balloons.
If you dont have a camper, there are little log cabins you can rent.
We have stayed at this camp ground several time and never get sick of it.

• Stayed: October 2013
There are newer reviews for Allendale/Grand Rapids West KOA

Reviewed January 27, 2014

DO NOT stay at KOA Allendale you WILL regret it. I called to reserve a 2 bedroom rental unit for this upcoming summer 2014. When I called to make the reservation no one was in office due to them operating on special winter hours. The next day they returned my phone call and left a rude voicemail haggling me for calling during winter hours. Ignoring their rude behavior I decided to return the phone call and continue on with my reservation because I was very interested in traveling to Grand Rapids Michigan. I spoke with Theresa who returned my phone call. She was extremely rude, ignorant and offensive to me the entire time. Against my better judgement I confirmed the reservation anyway and figured I would continue to search for campgrounds. Within 3 days my better judgement hit me and I decided there was no way I was going to give this awful campground $600+ dollars of my hard earned money when they are extremely rude to the guests, before they even check-in! I called to cancel my reservation. Of course no one picked up the phone so I left a voicemail and within a couple hours my reservation was canceled, confirmed by email with not a single returned phone call. To top off this horrific expirience with Allendale KOA they charged my $20.00 as a cancellation fee instead of the $10.00 that was clearly stated in their cancellation policy. (I canceled the reservation 8 months in advance!) I called KOA Allendale and did not receive a single phone call back. The moral of this story is DO NOT waste your time with this campground they are not worth it! I never even made it to the campground and they made my experience hell. KOA Allendale is not worth the time, the money or the applied effort for what you get in return. You can do MUCH better for the price and maybe you'll actually get a little bit of customer appreciation! DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Jake R
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We called to book a campsite and requested a woodsy site. We were told they only had one tent site available. This site had electricity. (Although we didn't need or would not use electricity, we booked it anyways as it was the only site). Upon arrival we noticed they had many open sites and asked if we could switch to another site because we preferred to be in a woodsy area. We were told we could and so we pitched our tent in a different site without electricity. When I went into the office to pay for wood I asked if we could use the difference in price from the two sites for the wood. This is when I encountered the how horrible the customer service at this place is. I was told no because I booked an electricity site and the rule is no refunds. Please remember that I only booked the more expensive site because it was all they had. I reminded the lady of this and was again told I'm sorry you didn't have to book the electricity site. This campground used to be a nice campground, years ago when it was privately owed. We will never return. If they are this anal over a few dollars, I can't imagine how they would act if we had a bigger concern.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Jamie5959
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Too bad we had not read the review by iadoreprince or we may have changed out plans. In July 2012 we booked what KOA described as a camping lodge to end up with a circa 1970’s single wide trailer with rickety stairs, rotten floors and previous camper “debris” in the unit.
Once we had booked the unit we read a review of no air conditioning. We contacted the KOA to ask if the unit had A/C and was told by an office rep that the unit did have A/C and everything had been updated since the campground has become part of the KOA chain.
We were traveling to the area for participation in the TGA being held in Grand Rapids with our two dogs and then staying on for 3 additional days so a place that allows pets was vital. We arrived late afternoon on Saturday and headed directly to Grand Rapids for the opening of the TGA and had not enough time to thoroughly review the unit until later that evening. What a discovery that was!!
• Sliding door that did not lock from the outside
• Back door entrance only door to use which had three steps up without a railing
• These same stairs that slanted forward
• Previous renters, I’ll use debris to describe the items found inside the unit
• Water faucet outside that had no water
We made a number of calls to KOA customer service without success until late Monday afternoon when we were told we had to deal with the campground owner and NOT KOA. Number of visits to the office and calls to the owner resulted in nothing until late Tuesday when we finally got a call from the owner. The conversation went from bad to awful to having the owner hang up on us without any resolution.
Not only will we NEVER camp at the Allendale KOA again we have been telling this camping horror story around campfires across the USA as we continue to camp but at campgr4ound not under the KOA flag after being a Reward Card holder for almost 10 years!

Room Tip: Would not even recommend this campground to anyone coming with their own RV since the owner is such...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank timbertoes
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I am very very upset with what should have been a fun FOUR night mom and kid trip from a Wed-Sunday. I would like to say I am a KOA rewards member and have stayed at many KOA'S and booked online and I have never had the trouble we had at this koa !!

We booked online on the KOA website for a two bedroom SLEEPS SIX unit with full bath and kitchen for 327.60 for four nights. After driving three hours we arrive to our site and we get an itty bitty smelly old camper that SLEEPS FOUR ! I walked in and they had not stabilized the camper because they had moved it from another site so it shook all over the place. It also smelled like there was a dead mouse some where. There were a small set of bunks and a double bed. Not happy but keeping an open mind we went and talked to the front desk. The lady was polite and said we could look at a different park model that could sleep six but there would be an up charge from our 90 a night we were paying for the nasty itty bitty camper to 125 for what we were about to see. We decide well lets go have a look and if it's nice maybe we could pay the extra. We get to the site and it's a two bedroom OLD park model ( I believe this is what we were supposed to be booked in in the first place but whatever ). We were told we couldn't use the main sliders ( not sure why ) that we had to use the side door. The side door has a small set of stairs that were for sure a safety hazard. They need a few nails in them. They were very shaky and totally unstable. The range hood was rusty and the microwave looked like it was a filthy mess from the 1980's. Heading to the bedroom by the slider the floor was soft and mushy ? My friend and I look at each other and head back to the office for some help. Here is where it turns from maybe we can make the best of it to WE WILL NEVER EVER try this KOA again and we would not recommend it to anyone ever !! Please keep in mind there are two adults and four kids who have driven to this koa for a four night stay......We go back to the office and ask seeing your website booked us wrong and put us in a camper that sleeps four can we have a price cut on the one that actually sleeps six ( WHICH IS WHAT WE BOOKED IN THE FIRST PLACE ) The lady who is the owner I believe said oh no we can't do that !!!! And in the last five minutes while we were looking at the park model someone booked the park model for Friday for one night and it is not available to us to rent anyways. So here we are late afternoon two ladies with four kids with no where to go for four nights. They let us borrow their phone and we call five other koa's that are all booked for our four nights, Never once were we offered to stay in the park model for two nights while we found another place or offered the one room cabins that were all empty !! Yes they may have been booked for the weekend but they could have offered them to us until we could find something else. They did give us our money back but there was NEVER an I'm sorry or it was our mistake please stay a night on us until you can find something.

We took our 327.60 and sat in our van wondering where in the world were we going to stay. We ended up staying at a KOA in Covert/ South Haven Michigan for two nights and another Koa in Middlebury Indiana for one night. Both were more then helpful and the Middlebury Koa even apologized for our bad experience with another koa and what about the fourth night you ask. We ended up having to come home because there was no where open to stay.

For our three nights we ended up having to spend more money because we had to get two cabins instead of one. We ended up throwing food away because we thought we were going to have a full kitchen to cook and didn't have a cooler big enough to store all our food and used an extra $50.00 in gas because we drove three hours from home then had to turn around and drive back to two other koa's. The thing that makes me the most upset is I am sitting writing this from home when we should still be at the campground sitting around a fire enjoying time with family and friends. It was not fair to us or our children that we had to pay for someone else's mistake computer or human.

I will say they did have a nice new playground and the water wars looked fun and both ladies we talked with were polite but sometimes polite just isn't enough.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank iadoreprince
Reviewed June 15, 2010

DO NOT stay in park model units!!! Unless you don't mind carpet that is filthy, matresses where two people end up in the middle together, peeling and warping formica walls that have been their since the early 80's (maybe even since 70's), the smell of old cigarette smoke and mildew, dirty furniture, and sharing your space with many earwigs . . . I would recommend that you book their newer camping cabins or bring your own camper.
We could not sleep because it was extremely HOT inside the unit (no air) and because the earwigs were abundant on the walls and carpet. My eleven year old woke up with a smooshed earwig on her pillow. It is a good thing is was hot, because we needed our bedding to cover the furniture we were too grossed out to sit on. When I told the staff our complaints in the morning, they did bring down an air conditioner that was at least as old as the unit itself. It did the job to be fair. We were told regarding the bugs and such that "it is camping after all" so earwigs are to be expected. I do expect bugs while camping (we own a 5th wheel), but when you discover them, I also expect they be sprayed for. We opted to leave this campground after 1 night. We would have opted to leave sooner, but the office was closed when we arrived and it was too late to find another place to stay. The owners charged us for two nights instead of one, which was their option. They told us they did this because a park unit requires a two night stay to book.
THE REST OF THE CAMPGROUND WAS NICE. New pool, huge play unit, and private wooded lots on the north side of campground and in back. If I were the owners, I would not want my business name on those park model units. I would remodel them, or explain to guest at booking that they are very old. They were something I would expect to find at the bad end of town. I know their are all degrees of campers. Some could sleep on the ground under the stars and some in nothing less than a quarter of a million dollar motorhome. I would understand as an owner that there are some that could not sleep in a dirty, old trailer with two young girls and accomodate them.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank ibutterfly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allendale
Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites
Rodeway Inn Coopersville
#1 of 1 in Coopersville
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Haven
Hampton Inn Grand Rapids-North

Been to Allendale/Grand Rapids West KOA? Share your experiences!