“Worst service ever”

Cruz de Popayan Hostel
Ranked #29 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Sucre
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I actually didn't want to go here, but some other hostals nearby were full because of the celebrations for some virgin (I believe it was Guadelupe).
From the start the service was lousy.. I had to pay directly for the room without seeing it, and actually it isn't cheap at all (90 bolivianos). I felt I did't have an option so I paid right on. I guess he also didn't really care handing me towels and toilet paper although I noticed later on this is part of the official hotel offered services. But that service was nothing compared to what happened the day after. Breakfast was lousy, the bread was at least one day old, and the girl that served didn't really want to listen (and yes I do speak Spanish fairly well).
The hot water of the shower didn't function and the girl at the reception told me she would solve it but really didn't do anything..
Don't go here.. the personel doesn't really care about your well-being. Moreover, there are cheaper hostals around!!

Room Tip: There are lots of hostals nearby.. please look for another one.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank horseyman

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Although the building itself was very old and full of character, I have never met such unfriendly staff in all my time backpacking around South America. At one point, the gentleman on the front desk was shouting at me telling me to get off of the computer, evern though all of my pictures were on there being transferred across and no one was waiting for its use. The service is disgraceful and I do not pay to stay somewhere where the staff are agressive and rude. When we arrived, I wondered why there was only a handful of people staying in such a large hostel with such a central location, however, if you make the same mistake that we did of staying there and experiencing the terrible service you will soon see why this hostel is so empty and why it will undoubtedly- if they don't change their ways- go bust very, very soon. An awful experience and I would recommend this disgrace of a hostel to no one.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, go for any other hostel that has staff which won't shout at you.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Charles N
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here as part of a basic tour, so not sure of the exact price. It was a few blocks from the centre of town. We had a very cold room adjoining the spacious courtyard, but there was a lot of renovation work going on at the time. Staff were helpful but not over-friendly. The breakfast was very minimal, but that's common in Bolivia.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Basic and clean, a little walk from the centre but pleasant enough. Work started on fixing drains before 8 am which is unreasonable and let the place down.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This hostel was ok, but nothing special. Old building with a nice outside courtyard, but meant the rooms were large and a bit basic. Bit of damp in the bathroom, which wasn't a problem, but place needs dome care and attention I suppose. Good location 5/10 mins from the main square. I would shop around before going again (it was a reco/sister hostel to the one we stayed at in Potosi which was nicer)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed here only because the place we wanted to stay was booked up and on the basis that we needed wifi to plan the next part of our trip and we were told they had it. After paying for the room, we were then told the wifi didnt work anymore. The room was dirty, damp with plaster falling off the wall and the toilet didnt flush. We then asked for a nearby laundry and were told they are all shut on sundays. It turned out there was one open just round the corner. We then asked for more toilet roll for the room and were told we would have to buy it ourselves.
The staff were so rude, verging on horrible. the rooms were terrible. Do Not stay here if you want somewhere nice to stay, there are lots of other options in Sucre

Room Tip: do not stay in any room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank johnnymc17
Reviewed November 11, 2010

We just stayed two nights at this hostal. It was a horrible experiance. Although the building itself has lots of potential, we would'nt recommand it to anyone! After travelling for five months through central and south america, this was sertanly the most negative experiance we had with a hostal. The staff was extremely unfriendly and lasy. They were of no help at all. Although they say they have a kitchen, there wasen't anything like that when we got there. They told us they were rebuilding it. We noticed it at night: while there were several ghuests at the hostal they started making noice and dust around seven in the evening and kept going on till long after midnight. When we complaned about it because we could not sleep, they told us very rude that it was not there problem and that we had to make our complaints about it to the manager. But they would'nt give us his contact information. Before all that they also sold us bustickets to La Paz when they already knew there was a roadblock and therefor the bus would'nt go. We can't understand how people can work like that. Throwing in their own windows. What a waste of potencial. We strongly recommend to find an other hostal. Don't go to hostal Amigo, it's the same owner and the same staff!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends