“Home away from home”

The Beehive
Ranked #3 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Sucre
“Home away from home”
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

The Beehive Project was recomended to me by a friend who stayed there because they provided everything I required, a hostel, spanish lessons, a community whilst I was in Sucre and the BEST breakfast on my travels ao far! I would dearly love to stay there again and continue my Spanish tuition soon!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 16, 2014

First of all, the Beehive covers all the basics well. The beds, rooms, bathrooms, kitchens and common areas are clean, comfortable and spacious. Amanda and the staff are super friendly and knowledgeable about Sucre and the surrounding region in Bolivia and are always ready to provide helpful tips on transportation, food options and trips. Breakfast is served daily and the hostel is very centrally located so that all of the best restaurants in Sucre are only minutes walking distance.

The Beehive organizes kick boxing and pilates classes in addition to walley (a type of volleyball game) and with permission additional activities maybe organized by guests themselves. When I was there in December of last year, a visiting couple taught guests acro-yoga. This is really the best feature of the Beehive, the owner, staff and volunteers have created a space which promotes community. Close to 20 guests were present when I visited and everyone seemed to genuinely get along, sharing information and even organizing trips and social events together despite only having recently met.

The Beehive is excellent. Many stay longer than planned and others come back, sometimes even to volunteer. My only regret was not being able to stay longer.

Room Tip: The blue room has the best shower, the orange room is the quietest, and the green room has the best...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sucre, Bolivia
Reviewed December 30, 2013

In my four months of travel across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, and Ecuador, I have never came across a better hostel. Amanda and the gang have created the perfect atmosphere here at the hostel complete with staff or guest lead events such as Sunday dinners, Bolivian Walleye (volleyball with a twist), kick boxing, and pilates for those who can bare the asian tiger mom instructor. Simply having a hostel that entices and creates a family vibe is something worth every boliviano in my opinion, especially if you are a solo traveler!

P.S. I liked it so much here that I came back today to volunteer today.

- Miles

Room Tip: Orange room is for hipsters!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 24, 2013

This place is an all-around great hostel, but it's a bit different from your standard hostel experience.

First of all, this place has all the basics you expect in a hostel: clean rooms; professional, friendly staff; comfy beds. The location is just a few blocks from the center, and it's both peaceful and convenient.

The proprietors go a bit above and beyond on the hostel experience. Breakfast is served daily and all available options are very good. There is a family dinner on Sundays as well. I can't speak for its quality in general, because I was there only one Sunday, but the vegetarian lasagna I had that Sunday was the best I've had, ever. (For some reason people seem to think vegetarians will be okay with mediocre lasagna. Or maybe it's just treacherously difficult to make well without meat. Not sure. In this case, anyway, it was the only entree and meat-eaters and vegetarians alike devoured it until there was nothing left.)

The proprietors, a North American (USA) woman and a Bolivian woman, seem to know their way around the town very well, and had no trouble connecting me with a very good Spanish teacher. It helps that the Bolivian proprietor happened to be a very good Spanish teacher, so the search in this case was brief. Both proprietors are bi-lingual.

They are also aware of various treks and activities going on about town, and should be able to advise you on finding fun things to do around Sucre. Sometimes one or more of them will accompany guests on outings. They are both very smart, interesting people. I talked more with the American. She is very friendly with all decent people, regardless of age/race/class (from my experience), goofy, and full of very original, interesting ideas. She leads rigorous Pilates classes twice a week at the hostel, and does a completely professional job of it, which impressed me, because she is trained as an urban planner.

Some hostels--I would say most hostels---you go in, crash, maybe chat with people at breakfast if they have breakfast, and then go on your merry way. This hostel has more of a family feel. It attracts a very interesting, good group of people who enjoy each other's company. You could go and not talk to anyone and still have a very pleasant stay. It's just that you probably won't end up doing that, even if you're kind of an introvert like me.

I should mention the curfew. I forget what it was, but I thought it was very reasonable. The guests when I was there included many fun-loving backpacking 20-somethings--myself included--and we had no trouble getting in the kind of youthful frivolity we would hope to. Sucre is not a town for nightlife, really, though. That said, if you are travelling in South America primarily for partying or narcotics use, I don't recommend this hostel to you. The proprietors and the volunteers are really decent people, but I can't promise they will be nice to you if you treat their guests or the property with disrespect.

Finally, this hostel is intended to be more than just a hostel. It is cooperatively owned between the two proprietors. The hostel offers workshops to the guests and the broader community. For example, both times I went to Pilates there were also a few Bolivian women in attendance. This makes the workshops more fun and also adds something of value to the community.

It's the kind of place you'd want to stay for several weeks, if you could. Many of the guests when I was there had only intended to stay a few days, and ended up extending their stay significantly. If I hadn't had a job to return to back home, I would have done the same. Sadly, I had only a week.

So, in short I would say, this place is great if you just want to crash for a few nights and have a pleasant hostel stay. But if you're looking to get to know people and learn something, it offers a lot more than that.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed December 19, 2013

The Beehive is a lovely place to stay, but what really makes it special are the people. While there is a rotating cast of characters, no matter what you always feel at home. There are lots of activities to keep you busy and there will always be someone willing to go do stuff around town. Even better, there is a bigger purpose to the hostel. They offer Spanish lessons and the teachers--who are marvelous--make 100% of the profit from their work, which is VERY different from all of the language schools in town. It is the best place possible to improve your Spanish at a cheap cost.

I can't say enough great things about The Beehive. I would go back for another month in a heartbeat. Yes, that's how long I stayed...

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Following staying at the Wild Rover, this was a welcome escape from the madness. This was probably the best hostel I stayed in while in South America, absolutely loved it, while you also get a free night if you run a course for other people staying there.
The breakfast is really good. Only one insult, one shower between a lot of people.
You can also read my full review on Spaghettitraveller.com

Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is by far the nicest hostel I have ever stayed in and most people have a hard time leaving and delay :) I felt at home after a couple hours already, not only enjoying the great atmosphere and delicious home made breakfast but also the healthy life style created by a good mix of being able to study in the cosy quiet garden area in the afternoons, going for concerts, movies or walley at nights with everybody. Not to forget the Sunday night meals at "home" when everybody sits around the big table to enjoy healthy home cooked food.
It's the perfect hostel for solo travelers and couples who are looking for a break in-between all the moving around and just want a homely place to stay and enjoy life for a couple days.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo