“Stay here!”
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #3 of 59 Specialty Lodging in Sucre
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Beehive is a great, cosy hostel in Sucre run by a American woman and a local Bolivian woman. There are 3 dorms, two with ensuites, and a matrimonial room, as well as a kitchen, garden, three shared bathrooms, and two common areas. The owners also run several events every week, including wallyball (Bolivian volleyball, lots of fun!), pilates classes, and communal Sunday dinners. The breakfasts are also amazing, probably the best I've had in South America, and are included in the price (65BOB for a dorm bed). The showers are usually nice and hot, although as with everywhere in Bolivia they can be temperamental. There is wifi throughout the house, but when everyone is using it it can be quite slow. The location is great, a 10 minute walk from the main square on a quiet street (no traffic noise!). There is no sign outside, but it's the only green door on the street. My friend and I came to stay for a week and ended up staying for three instead, so be warned that you might not want to leave!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Beehive has a warm friendly vibe with very helpful staff and an amazing breakfast. My husband and I came to visit the Beehive in late May this year and we stayed in the matrimonial. The bed was super comfortable and shower was nice and hot! I was told by the staff that they hand make they're own candied ginger for the oatmeal for breakfast, so good! They have fun events like scavenger hunts, language exchange nights and Spanish classes. The Beehive is not only a Hostal but a community center that helps bring foreigners and locals together through various fun activists! I also know that the Beehive is completely by woman which I think is pretty rad! My husband and I actually like it so much that we decided to come back and live in Sucre! I could spend all day reading a book/ falling asleep one of the hammocks soaking in beautiful scenery. I love this place and highly recommend the Beehive! <3

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Having stayed in several Sucre hostels we experienced nothing but disappointment so we decided to come here after reading some good reviews. We found our welcome to be an inconvenience to one of the owners but we thought it could not get any worse and stayed.

We were shown to our room and told that the shower takes a few minutes to get hot. I stepped in and it got cold after 30 seconds which happened every day which meant getting dressed again and moving to the other shower in the main room. There was a robbery during our stay and several things went missing, they leave the front gate open during the day which means anyone can walk in and take stuff. It was their fault for not using lockers but you should not feel so unsafe in a hostel.

There is a curfew here which does not seem fair. The hostel is very expensive for a dorm and there is nothing to keep you cool on those hot nights. The mornings are awful because the room is like a greenhouse, you wake up at sunrise because of the heat which is where the cold shower comes in I suppose.

The owner charges you to rent a DVD even though there is no TV, only a laptop that overheats. The internet is the worst I have experienced in South America (and I have used it in the jungle).

The laundry is cheap but the owner insists on using cold water with washing powder and only puts the wash on for 20 minutes. All this does is make the clothes wet and then you have to hang the clothes your self.

The most disturbing thing about the hostel is the owner. She can be a great host but then the next minute she is snappy, rude and unhelpful. It was hard for us to keep up with this.

On the bright side the cleaner is very friendly and really cheers your day up.

1  Thank Leafybugtravel
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I *thoroughly* enjoyed my time at the Beehive - so much, that I stayed here on two separate occasions in my three-week stay in Sucre. As others have mentioned, the breakfast is fantastic (choice of egg frittata and toast, cinnamon oatmeal topped with candied ginger and coconut, or fruit salad with yogurt and granola during the week; whole wheat pancakes with fruit on Saturdays; and french toast with fruit on Sundays). Everything is homemade to boot - I've seen Amanda whipping up that granola and candied ginger myself.

But what made me return to Beehive was the friendly vibe. The staff is warm and helpful, and they focus on integrating the foreign visitors into the local culture. There are community events throughout the week to bring these groups together, including Sunday dinners, Wallyball (imagine if volleyball and squash had a Bolivian baby), scavenger hunts, and Pilates classes. Plus, many of the guests are longish-term visitors taking Spanish classes, so it was great to have people not only understand the need to do homework, but encourage it.

The facilities are clean and cozy, there's a fully-stocked kitchen that guests can use to cook, and there are two community laptops for watching movies or getting work done. Although this place attracts a younger crowd since most rooms are dorms (there's one matrimonial), it's not a party hostel. While it's really easy to get a group together to go out for dinner, drinks or dancing, it's not common for parties to last late at the hostel. I was initially put off by the curfew (midnight during the week and 3am on weekends), but after a couple nights in Sucre, I realized that there's not a ton going on late during the week anyway and the curfew never cramped my style.

I'd definitely recommend anyone stay at the Beehive!

Room Tip: The green room has the best access to internet, but the coldest showers. Blue room has the hottest s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We got in a little over two weeks ago and keep finding excuses to stay "just one more night". Everyone here seems to have the same problem though - between home-cooked dinners, amazing breakfasts, excursions organised by Amanda, and pilates and Wally (my favourite), there is a real family feel about the Beehive. It's hard to find that on the road so we just keep hanging around with our new Beehive family. There is a curfew but there's also not much to do after curfew in Sucre, so it's not too bad.
The Beehive is clean, welcoming, comfortable in every way, and they're always so helpful if people (like me) are having issues with stolen items, sickness etc. Definitely recommend this place for short or long stays in Sucre - you can also organise cheap Spanish lessons through the hostel.

Room Tip: The Orange room has the least light in the morning, the Green and Blue rooms have their own bathroom...
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

we stayed 2 nights in a private double room with private bath.

+ big and clean room
+ cozy common area
+ hot shower (however pressure could be better)
+ friendly and nice hosts
+ great fruit, yogurth, granola breakfast (however portions could be bigger)
+ free wifi (although not very reliable)

what could be improved in our view:
- make sure that breakfast is ready on time
- improve the isolation of the door to the garden so that it is less noisy and smoky in the room (since other guests smoke and talk right in front of this door...)

our conclusion: recommended, if you do not look for a private room as a couple.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Absolutely loved this hostel. Real family feel, comfortable beds and awesome breakfasts. Did not want to leave! Only thing there is a curfew, BUT was worth it to come back early and share stories over a good glass of rum/wine with your new extended family. Highly recommended! Did I mention how good the breakfasts were?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo