“The Winner”

El Hotel de Su Merced
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Sucre
Reviewed April 14, 2013

It is not just by pure luck that this sublimely beautiful Hostal has won Trip Advisor's " Winners Award " 2013 . The Colonial building owned by generations of the family has been loveingly restored & furnished with antiques & beautiful paintings , the ceiling of the reception is paneled , painted & gold leafed . Three stories of verandah's are decked with potted plants glowing with good health & overhung with Bougainvillea , the effect of the colors of terra cotta tiles , the bright white painted masonry , classic colonial architecture & the flowers is stunning .
I had booked weeks ahead as I needed a base to receive urgent mail , before I arrived the owners had emailed to inform me that mail was awaiting , which was an enormous relief to know .
It is really impossible to describe suitably how greatful I feel towards the owners & staff for all their kind help , they took it upon themselves to help me track parcels & release a parcel from customs !
After living at Hostal du Su Merced for two weeks it was very hard to leave kind people , beautiful bedroom , roof top views of the town & surrounding mountains & a breakfast banquet but I left fully restored & ready for more adventure .

Room Tip: Room 20 at the top had 3 large windows looking onto famous old buildings & the distant mountains...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
rafo0202, Owner at El Hotel de Su Merced, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Siri,

We want to thank you for taking the time and writing so lovely review. I will forward with proud to our team.
Our philosophy is based on this quote, “No request is too large, no detail too small”. And, we are pleased to make justice of this mindset.

Just let us know when you are coming back and your room 20 will be waiting for you.
With warmth,

Carmen GANTIER

Reviewed April 13, 2013

A fabulous place! Beautifully restored and filled with antiques,the rooms are lovely. The open-air courtyards are inviting and tranquil, and the nighttime view of Sucre from the rooftop is beautiful.
The location is great - a short walk to the plaza, museums, markets and park plus restaurants etc.
Most importantly, the service is terrific. Family-run and with excellent staff, we felt very comfortable and were greeted like old friends when returning after a few days away. They organised a car to Potosi for us which worked out extremely well.

Room Tip: All are delightful with windows opening onto the terrace
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for your more than kind feedback!

We will forward your compliments to all our team as a motivation in our future work, as it shows us that we are on the right way as passionate hosts.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed: our lovely rooms, our open-air courtyards and specially our friendly staff.

We will be waiting for you in your Sucre’s second home,
With warmth
Carmen GANTIER

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel, spacious rooms with lovely large bathrooms and bathtubs. We had a room at the top with great views of the city. Friendly staff. The only two negative points: the cab driver they booked for us was 25 mins late, and drove like a lunatic to Potosi. And they recommend we stay in hotel colonial in Potosi which was one of the worst places we have stayed in our entire trip in s.america

• Stayed: February 2013
Carmen G, Owner at El Hotel de Su Merced, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your stay with us.

It’s encouraging for me and the whole team to know that you loved: the spacious rooms and bathrooms, the great views of the city and specially our friendly atmosphere.

While I wish you had a better experience with the services we suggested you in Potosi, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve, so:
1.- We would try to select better cab services to Potosi.
2.- Our clients suggested us that hotel in Potosi, but we would try to be more conservative in our future recommendations.

We will be waiting for you in your “Sucre’s second home”.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Old school and I mean Bolivian style. Antique furniture, huge rooms, multi-level, flowered, terrace patios. (Take your pick and relax!) Fantastic breakfast with REAL coffee, and try the pies...excellent! Very friendly and helpful service. Let them arrange a cab for your trip to Potosi. Don't miss the rooftop view of Sucre.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Texipateno
Carmen G, Owner at El Hotel de Su Merced, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

I would like to thank you for your comments following your stay at Hotel de Su Merced.

I’m glad to share with the entire team your opinions about: our stylish and spacious rooms, our buffet breakfast with its wide range of homemade products, and specially our friendly and helpful service.

We are all expecting to receive you soon in your “second home” in Sucre.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Definitely more of a hotel than a hostel, this was an excellent place to stay for a bit of luxury and chilling out time. Extremely comfortable bed in large room, fluffy towels, hot shower AND BATH! (first in three months of hostelling) and a number of nice terraces.
The breakfast was - as many others have said - the best in several months of travelling in South America and all of the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
Would definitely recommend this place to others and wouldn´t hesitate to stay again if I ever have the chance to revisit Sucre.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Carmen G, Owner at El Hotel de Su Merced, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your recent stay with us.
It’s a pleasure to know that you appreciated our nice terraces, the comfort of our rooms and the kindness of our staff.
Your comment about our breakfast makes us feel very proud and encourages us to keep improving this service.
Awaiting for the pleasure to welcome you again in Sucre.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Booked in for 4 nights but ended up staying for 8 in room 17. Lovely large rooms with comfortable bed and separate living area. Super friendly staff who asked if we had any problems or recommendations to improve the facilities (we didn't) and probably the best breakfast we have experienced in all of South America. We had very secure parking for our motorcycle too. Great views from the roof terrace. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CuppaTforme
Carmen G, Propietario at El Hotel de Su Merced, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

It is always a pleasure for me and our team to know that guests stay more time than expected in Hotel Su Merced!!
It’s encouraging to know that guests appreciate the quality of our rooms, the views from the terrace, our varied breakfast and our friendly staff.
Awaiting for the pleasure to welcome you again in Sucre.

Sincerly,

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been traveling for 3 months in South America and I finally I meet the staff that are always willing to please :)
The breakfast is the most natural, home made, diverse one I have seen in Bolivia.
I enjoyed the quality and the cleanliness of the sheets.
The terrace has fantastic views of the city, the layout gives me a cozy feeling :)
Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: I loved the light of room nr 10 because of the bay windows.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Rafael G, Owner at El Hotel de Su Merced, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Madame,

I am happy you enjoyed the quality of the cleanliness, the fantastic views of the city and of course the personal treat of our staff.
The entire team and I hope to see you again for your next visit in Sucre.

Sincerely

I enjoyed the quality and the cleanliness of the sheets.
Excellent value for money.
Room Tip: I loved the light of room nr 10 because of the bay windows.