“A real gem”

Casa de Huespedes WASI-MASI
Ranked #22 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Sucre
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a GREAT hostel only two blocks off the main plaza, offering restaurant, pubs, cafes all with a really nice ´vibe´ Fortunatelu unlike other hostels on this website it does not attract the loud, drunken, jelly vodka shot slamming, 18-30 teenage crowd. A nice mix of German, Dutch, Swiss, Spanish and English travellers when I was there. A converted court yard property with heaps of character and finished to a high standard, beautiful dorms designed cleverly for maximum privacy, lovely HOT shower

Room Tip: I was in the mixed dorm... cleverly partitioned for privacy
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I had a reservation for a 3 persons private room and when we arrived, the unfriendly woman told me that the price was 450blv instead of the 150 annonced on hostelworlds website. I know she was lying and she finally admitted it. After, she told me that the breakfast wasnt included in the price. I asked a guest who was closed to us and who confirmed me the opposite. The color of the face of the Señora Roxana changed suddenly! And me and my friends took our bags to go into another hostel.

Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Wasi masi, where to start!

Wasi masi was a mixed bag for us! First off we got there at 4am and had to knock the owner out of bed which took a while but we were under the impression it was 24h reception! That's minor to be fair!

After sleeping on the couch in the community room for a good few hours we asked about our room and were told to come back at 11am and our room would be ready! Again this wasn't so bad so we went for breakfast and came back...

The guy walked us to a private room with bathroom and we explained that this wasn't right and that we ordered a dorm, he said that was fine and that we could have this one... I asked him a few times if he was sure because we had booked the dorm because it was cheap and didn't want to have a big bill at the end of our stay... Again, fine he said so we basically were given the impression that we were being given an upgrade because the dorms had clearly been full the night before and we made it perfectly clear what we ordered!

I honestly think it had been overbooked and we got a fleeced but hey, I can't say for certain and and I'm not gonna throw unfounded accusations over!

Anyway, the room were given was actually really good, clean and the ensuite was nice! Cannot knock it to be fair!

The Internet worked fine and the breakfast fair and it's location is fine although I never moan about location as people know exactly where they are staying before they book or walk in off the street!

The real issue came when we wanted to check out! The owner then all of a sudden couldn't speak English which was rich bearing in mind we spoke to her on check on and insisted we paid for the private room! I argued the point with her that this was not our fault but she refused to budge and started shouting! This is the one time on my travels I've been really upset with any hostel owner and hope its the last!

Be careful if they show you to a different room even if they state it's the same price! Maybe pay in advance but don't think they are giving you anything for free!

This really spoiled what could have been a decent hostel! I feel it's the staff that let it down!

Maybe this is a one off, I don't know but either way I was very disappointed!

Oh, we also started a few Spanish lessons but the owners son would not leave the room and was being an utter pest te whole time, needless to say I learned zero and didn't bother doing anymore there!

Could be a good place but my time was ruined, felt the need to share, cannot recommend!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked beds in a dorm online because it seemed like a good idea not to look for a hostel after a long bus ride. When we arrived, it took the staff a while to figure out why we are there :) But after the intitial obstacles, it was fairly fine. The room was nice (unlike the people who stayed there who decided that vomiting in the room at night is a way to behave in a shared dorm). The bathrooms were nice although getting hot water in the shower can be tricky since the C tap stands for Caliente, hot, and not cold :)
So once you figure out all the quirks, it is actually a nice and central place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

i had the most amazing time in this hostel. its very cheap and has everything u will need. tv room with lots of dvd's and cable, a kitchen, a great breakfast, and a small restaurant that makes lunch. the rooms r big and even in the dorms there is a sense of privacy.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Nice hostal, cosy place outside to eat and meet other travellers. Clean rooms and large lockers. In my opinion Sucre is the most beautifull city in Bolivia, and this hostal is close to the city center.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The hostal is good, but we started off quite frustrated. Our nightbus arrived at 4am so we were at wasmasi at 4:15. We made reservations online and told them that we would arrive early. Once we were there nobody opened the door. We phoned them and than somebody told us to get lost because we did not have reservations! Not the kinda street you wanna hangout in de middle of the night. The nearest hostal San Fransisco did let us in fortunately! Te next morning we went back and they did not have bookings in a computer(???) but somehow they could fix us a room. This was fine. Bed was a matras on the ground, hard but okay. Fine warm shower. Great breakfast and laundry service. Good wifi. Friendly lady the owner, she works hard! A lot of hipster backpackers.

• Stayed: July 2012