“Amazing huge room”
Review of Grand Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sucre
Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Sucre
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We came across this hotel by chance and were very happy with our luck. The room we were given looks out on to the first courtyard and had two huge beds, a big bathroom and a separate sitting area with comfy chairs. What luxury after the tiny cold rooms we were used to! The courtyard itself is very pretty and is a great place to sit and relax with a drink from the restaurant. It is close to the main square and while the street is busy the rooms are very quiet.The staff were very friendly and helped us with any enquiry we had. The only downside was that the hot water had an electric regulator and was a little difficult to control.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is seriously run down, and it's a pity, as it could be so much better. The internal patio is really nice. However in my room everything seemed to be broken. The hot water didn't work. The lamp had a broken bulb. The door handle was broken. When I inquired about the need to change the bulb, the receptionist looked at me as if I were a UFO. There are better choices in Sucre for the same price.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After traveling in Bolivia for awhile we came to cherish a good how shower, and the Gran Sucre had the best ever. The room was OK and clean, wifi worked well. The breakfast was good by Bolivian standards. All in all a good value for the money and the location in the city was convenient.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the Grand for two weeks, with a weekend break in the middle while studying Spanish in Sucre. The hotel was perfect for this situation. The building has a great colonia ambiance, there are two courtyards to read, relax or study (one with better WiFi than the other) and a friendly helpful staff. The location can't be beat, just a half block off the main square, but you do trade location for noise at times, as there seems to be one festivity or another going on most every night in and around the square. Its a trade I'd gladly make, especially armed with ear plugs for the occasional marching band. I stayed in two different rooms, one was much better than the other. Was good that the rooms the second week was a nice surprise and felt like an upgrade after being use to the perfectly aceptable first room. I would, therefore, recommend asking to see a couple of room options and picking which might be best for you based on your preferences. I felt the Grand Hotel was in the perfect sweet spot between a hostel and more upscale, i.e. expensive, hotel and was a great value.

Room Tip: Recommend checking available options, as appears to be wide range.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Disappointing place.

- made me move room
- no hot water in either room - barely lukewarm. No pressure either.
- staff forgot to send my laundry to be washed despite me filling out the form in front of them
- breakfast should be included - it's OK - papaya juice was nice, but the coffee sucks, and you could get a much cheaper breakfast elsewhere
- kids screaming in the courtyard from early morning

I knocked off a whole star for the quality of the showers which for this price should be better.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed 3 nights and the room was only serviced once. The room was average and could have done with some redecoration, looked a bit grubby too. Bathroom was swimming in water after a shower and didn’t drain so was wet and a mosquito breeding ground.They serve breakfast, if you want, which you pay for but I wouldn’t recommend it. The woman who served us was very rude, practically threw it at me and the crockery was filthy. On the positive side, It’s a central and not too expensive

Room Tip: One away from the courtyard.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and found it to be decent value for money ($19 for a single). The room was large, had 2 single beds, cable TV, private bathroom (electric hot water was variably hot or warm). The mattress was great (room 12) but the base it sat on was uneven, but I still slept well all nights.

There is wifi in the hotel that was decent but the router in the rear section (where my room was) was out of commission, so there was no wifi in the actual room. They told me every day that it was going to be fixed that day, which it never was.

There's a nice courtyard but it was pretty rainy when I was in Sucre so there wasn't really anywhere else to sit (apart from the room). They close the cafe if they're not serving, so you can't sit there either.

Oddly, as someone else mentioned, they did not clean the room even when I left the 'please clean' sign on the door. I asked the front desk about this and they said it was because I didn't leave the room key with them!

Breakfast is a good deal, at 20B's, but make sure you get all that is listed. The first time I ate there they only gave me my fruit salad when I chased them for it and then seemed to resent giving it to me. Weird.

Still, it's good value, and it's very close to the main square and the market. Just remember to leave your room key with reception if you want your room cleaned!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo