“Great food if you wait a while”
Review of El Germen

El Germen
Ranked #20 of 120 Restaurants in Sucre
“Great food if you wait a while”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I ate here numerous times. The vegetarian food is excellent, but don't expect speedy service - especially at night. Sometimes there's only one person working who seems to do everything!

Visited March 2012

“Best place for lunch, expect waits”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Try to get here early, or else lunch is likely to be all gone. But it is definitely worth the wait if you need to pace around until a table is free.

Visited April 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Delicious food, great priced menu del dia, lovely staff!”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I were in Sucre for three weeks and I have lost count of the amount of times we at at El German. We are vegetarian and are constantly looking out for even okay vegetarian options on our travels but El German went above and beyond. For almuerzo, at a price of 20 Bolivianos you get a jugo, soup, main and dessert, all of which are very generous portions.

The vegetarian food was great and there is a selection of meat dishes, also. It was also the first time we had delicious wholewheat bread in months, it was freshly baked and delicious.

Be sure to order the falafels and tomatoe rellenos from the regular menu, too!

We'll certainly miss eating here for lunch everyday.

Visited April 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“An insult to vegetarians”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I am not a vegetarian, but I strongly believe that they deserve to eat as well as non-vegetarians. This place was simply appalling.

We went into the restaurant and the lights were off, despite there being a paying customer already eating there. We asked the lady there (cook and waitress - the only staff member!) to turn the lights on and we got a menu. The menu is only in Spanish (not a problem for us, but it is meant to be a tourist friendly place).

We ordered a mixed salad to share, a pastel de quinoa for my girlfriend and a pastel de papas for me. The salad came out after about 15 minutes and was one of the worst salads I have ever eaten. It tasted dirty and none of the elements tasted as they should have. We sent it back.

After 40 minutes our pastels came out. The words flavourless and stodgy immediately come to mind. They were both heavy and tasted of very little. Mine also had undercooked potatoes in it.

In the end we had to argue in order for the salad to be taken off the bill and we left feeling highly dissatisfied. I felt a little sorry for the girl who was working there, as she was under too much pressure (doing everything), but really the whole experience was terrible.

Basically, serving bad vegetarian food is bad enough these days, but if you are a vegetarian restaurant it is inexcusable, especially when you are charging above standard prices for the city.

• Visited January 2012
“Good food but very slow service”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Firstly I will say that we went here on a public holiday so I'm hoping that explains the fact that this was solely run by one woman, doing serving, cooking and all. It is a small restaurant with very basic style.

The food was lovely and very good value, no complaints there. But take note, they don't sell water (or coke), which is a bit strange!