“An insult to vegetarians”
Review of El Germen

El Germen
Ranked #18 of 128 Restaurants in Sucre
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I am not a vegetarian, but I strongly believe that they deserve to eat as well as non-vegetarians. This place was simply appalling.

We went into the restaurant and the lights were off, despite there being a paying customer already eating there. We asked the lady there (cook and waitress - the only staff member!) to turn the lights on and we got a menu. The menu is only in Spanish (not a problem for us, but it is meant to be a tourist friendly place).

We ordered a mixed salad to share, a pastel de quinoa for my girlfriend and a pastel de papas for me. The salad came out after about 15 minutes and was one of the worst salads I have ever eaten. It tasted dirty and none of the elements tasted as they should have. We sent it back.

After 40 minutes our pastels came out. The words flavourless and stodgy immediately come to mind. They were both heavy and tasted of very little. Mine also had undercooked potatoes in it.

In the end we had to argue in order for the salad to be taken off the bill and we left feeling highly dissatisfied. I felt a little sorry for the girl who was working there, as she was under too much pressure (doing everything), but really the whole experience was terrible.

Basically, serving bad vegetarian food is bad enough these days, but if you are a vegetarian restaurant it is inexcusable, especially when you are charging above standard prices for the city.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

Firstly I will say that we went here on a public holiday so I'm hoping that explains the fact that this was solely run by one woman, doing serving, cooking and all. It is a small restaurant with very basic style.

The food was lovely and very good value, no complaints there. But take note, they don't sell water (or coke), which is a bit strange!

Reviewed May 11, 2011

We had a very good dinner in this restaurant, which is not right in the centre (about 5-10 minutes walking). They serve local food with a great vegetarian choice. Especially mention we would like the Tofu-Curry as well as the dishes with Quinoa. To drink we had a very good Bolivian-Wine for a really good price! We highly recommand this "German-Restaurant"!

Reviewed April 15, 2011

Definetly worth a visit delicious food!! I had tofu curry which exceeded all expectations, my boyfriend had spaghetti bolognase which he loved too!

Reviewed January 11, 2011

The owner is a German woman who is married to a Bolivian. She is an excellent cook & her desserts are amazing. The food uses local ingredients & is Bolivian fare. The desserts on the other hand must be German inspired!

There is a main menu that stays the same that you can order from. The veggie burgers & the papas a la huaincaina are very good.

The lunch special is a set menu & changes everyday. It is a great deal maybe $3 USD total. It includes a typical Bolivian lunch vegetarian style: soup, main dish, fruit drink & dessert.
However the lunch special doesn't include the best dessert the place has to offer. My favorite is the Nanaimo bar which I never had before El German. It is a square layered with cream & chocolate. I would sometimes go in just to grab one for on the go! They also have a yummy chocolate cake & sometimes have a yogurt cake which to this day I have had no where else. The desserts change as well so you have to drop by frequently to see what they have to offer!