“Deserves its great reviews”
Review of Big Deal Tours

Big Deal Tours
Ranked #1 of 5 Tours in Potosi
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Recommended by several friends we had met travelling we chose real{big} deal for our Potosi mine tour. It is more expensive but its is the only one run by a cooperative of ex miners, not by a tour company. You also get a bandana to keep as a souvenir.

The guys were funny, charming and helpful from the moment we stepped into the office to book with them, also offering free tourist info about Potosi.

The tour was fascinating and very informative, we bought gifts for the miners, saw them at work and learnt all about the history of the mines.

All safety equipment and clothing was provided, as was transport.

A thouroughly enjoyable ,and tiring, morning which I highly recommend

There are newer reviews for Big Deal Tours

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having looked into a few different agencies, this seemed to be the winner. From the moment we walked in, they were welcoming, funny and informative. It was also great to know that you were dealing with ex-miners.

The tour itself ran very smoothly, with no more than 6-8 in a group and very informative, we also felt safe at all times. The guides are very frank with you and tell you what it is to be a miner but also how proud they are of their heritage. You can really feel the sincerity with everything they do.

A must do if you are in Potosi, the only real choice for tour company. If you are tall and big, prepare to be bent double, but don't worry as they will explain, Scooby doesn't crawl!!!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were recommended this company by our hostel and another traveler. We checked out Koala tours as we were staying at that hostel, the only information we were given was a start time and cost. As soon as we stepped into Big Deal Tours we were welcomed with jokes and friendly chatter. We were shown a basic presentation which put me at ease (I was not originally going but attended as my boyfriend was) but everything seemed so well thought out that I ended up signing up also. It was more expensive than other companies but worth it.
The day was hard at times crouching down through some parts of the mines, but it was really worth it and very interesting. It is amazing how many myths surround conditions and lives of miners. We always felt safe and well looked after.
In all a very different but none the less memorable tour.

1  Thank Hildred87
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This guyz will take you on a unique experience trought the mines, not chat chat or blablas but real information based on their life experience inside the mines, will put a real positive perspective, they are fun and will make your day unforgettable, contact Pedro or Efra. try their local service, worth everyminute! i ve been taking groups over 6 months now with em and had only been 10/10 thank u guyz!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This tour is not easy, but if you've never been in a mine before, it's worth the 'pain' to see go.

I'm 48 and 192 cm. and hurt for 2 days after the tour because it's not easy.

You start with checking in and waiting for the crowd to show up and fill up the bus. You then drive part way up the mountain where you can buy 'presents' for the miners. A lot of the miners are independent and have made their own shaft in the mine and have yet to find much, so you can buy them cocoa leaves to chew on, bottles of juices or even sticks of dynamite to use in the mine when they need it.
From there you continue up to a small room where you put on your mining gear. Hardhat, boots, pants and a jacket. It's quite warm after get about 250 meters into the mine so don't wear a lot of clothes even if it is cold outside. I left my jacket in this room as did many people on the trip and it was there, untouched when we got back.
Dressed and ready to go we got back on the bus and did a quick tour of a refining factory where you could see how they got silver and zinc out of the rocks the miners brought them.
The tour guides were good, and spoke English and Spanish. I guide per 6 people. Bewared however they aren't always politically correct when trying to make jokes.
Up the mountain to the mine. The air is very thin so if you take altitude pills do not forget to take one on the day of the tour.
We went in the mine and everything was quite good for the first 400 - 500 meters, but I was already starting to feel the exhaustion. I however was determined to do the full 3 km. of the mine. There are no 'emergency exits' so make sure you are capable of doing the full 3 km.
MANY parts of the mine seem to be about 1 - 1.5 meters high. For someone tall this is a lot more work than for others. I realized I needed to break a lot more often then the guide was stopping to explain things. This is because my legs were burning from trying to walk 100 meters in a tunnel only 1 meter high. When the ceiling was high enough for me to stand up, my legs wanted me to sit. The guide that was in charge of walking at the end of the group to make sure no one got lost then became my 'private guide'. She shouted up to the group and politely told the lead guide to go on without us as we were going to take our time to get through the rest of the 3 km. She was absolutely wonderful. I'd walk like a duck to get through the short areas only capable of seeing my feet, she'd cheer me on tell me when I could stand up. She'd find spots where I could sit and catch my breath and she also took the time to explain all the different things in the mine as we walked passed them. It was like I had my own private tour guide. At one point we caught up to the group who were listening to the guide talk about a cavern and we passed them (A) because I didn't really care about the cavern and (B) she felt if we did the 3 ladders before them we'd finish around the same time as they could only go up the ladders one at a time.
It was exciting when we finally got to daylight but of course it was again in a section of the mine that had a very low ceiling so even though the exit was only 20 meters away my legs said "sit down for a minute". The group passed us at this point, but that was okay because I essentially ended the mine tour at the same time as them.
Exhausting and painful, but it was still a lot of fun. 2 days for my legs to recover, but they didn't hurt so bad that I couldn't walk around the city.
Great experience, great guides, but be warned half the mine has ceiling between 1 and 1.5 meters so be prepared, you can't crawl because you are walking in 5 cm of water for most of the trip.

1  Thank JymMorton