“Average with mediocre service”
Review of Hostal Colonial

Hostal Colonial
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Potosi
Orlando
“Average with mediocre service”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The facility is nice enough and the location is great. There must just be something about the level of service in Potosi judging from all the other reviews of all the properties. The room was clean, plenty big enough for a single and the bed was comfortable. My issue was that despite having at least three different conversations with various front desk attendants in Spanish and English, not one of them bothered to mention that there would be a planned electrical shut down throughout the entire city starting at 4 am and lasting till 4 pm on the following day. I first figured out when the WiFI didn't work, then though may just be the hotel when the lights didn't work, but was surprised when mentioned on the way out the door to find some coffee and Wifi that whole town was down. I know it would not have changed much, but it does seem like something the front desk staff might mention and maybe even post a note in a conspicuous location. I think it just captured the essence of the lack of customer service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CharlieOrlando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The hotel has got a good location and a beutifull courtyard and that is the only good thing we can say about it. We felt unwelcome all the time. Nobody was friendly or helpfull. Very small rooms. I would suggest a facelift!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mari k

Travelers are raving about these Potosi hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2013

No question the location is excellent, being half a block from the main square. However, the room we got was very tiny. Once we put down our luggage, there was hardly any space to turn around. The bathroom was clean but not the carpet in the room. The bed was a double bed which is small for the two of us. But then, if we had difficulties walking around the double bed, I can't imagine what it would be like with a queen bed in it. The front desk staff was fine for during the day and evening. Actually the lady that worked the evening shift spoke fairly good English and was very helpful. Unfortunately, the man that worked the overnight shift tried to get some extra money out of us on the day of our departure. He wanted me to pay an extra 10 Bolivianos for the orange juice that I drank at breakfast (the breakfast was included as part of the room rental). On this trip we traveled through Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia and stayed at at least a dozen different hotels. Juices have always been included with the breakfast. Perhaps the man was trying get some money for himself because it was 6 a.m. and nobody else was around. In the end, i paid him 5 Bolivianos, No receipt was issued. 5 Bolivianos is a tiny amount of money but it makes the memory of staying at this hotel unpleasant. Wifi worked well in the room though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mikol
UK
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

This was an awful hotel- perhaps the best place to stay in Potosi, but that tells you all you need to know about Potosi.
We stayed here for one night. The rooms were poky, the service was surly and unhelpful. The worst thing was the value for money- over 400 bolivianos which is at the very high end of Bolivian hotels, but for very little in return. Do yourself a favour and sty elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank welikethehouse
Vancouver
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Average hotel and tiny room - stayed here twice on my way to and from Uyuni so had two different rooms. Didn't see much difference in the rooms although my travel companion was quite happy with hers. She loved her bath tub. I think it may have to do with where your room was. I was at the back of the second courtyard and felt I could barely turn around in my room. Bathroom was also small as was my bed. The hotel is old and although it seemed clean, I didn't feel very comfortable. Having said all that, the location is good and this hotel is probably as good as you'll get in Potosi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sanspen
Melbourne
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Relatively speaking for Bolivia, this hotel was expensive without the addition of features not found at cheaper hotels. Location was very convenient to everything, the shower was hot and wifi was excellent. There was a problem with the lock on my door and I had to keep getting the reception staff (none of whom spoke English) to open it for me. There is a laundry around the corner which is much cheaper than using the hotel laundry service.

I planned to catch a morning bus to Sucre but the reception staff told me (with lots of sign language and my basic words of Spanish) there wasn't a bus until 1pm. Turned out this wasn't true. There are many daily buses to Sucre, but obviously not with the company preferred by this hotel.

Reading other reviews, it seems like the hotel provides breakfast.... I was never told about breakfast so I'm not sure what the situation was with that....

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank MelbourneTed
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Average hotel, pokey little room, that whilst adequate and clean was extremely small and a bit dated. The same with the bathroom.

The communal areas were nicer with large courtyards with seating.

The good things were the location, being very central and opposite a good restaurant called 4060. It had a good choice of TV channels and the wifi was consistently good throughout our stay.

Breakfast was better than average with a good amount of food, if a little dull. It was brought to you by the waitress, no buffet here. There is no restaurant here for food other than breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple