“Black mold in bathrooms”
Review of Hostal Colonial

and 1 more site!
Hostal Colonial
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Potosi
Reviewed October 26, 2011

When I checked in I looked at four rooms in the first courtyard and chose the best one which was still pretty bad. There was black mold in the bathrooms and the shower was so dirty I didn't want to take a shower. A tour group arrived in the afternoon and they were assigned rooms in the first and second courtyard. When I told reception I didn't like the rooms he didn't mention there were additional rooms available in the second courtyard and from what I saw from the courtyard they are at least more spacious. When I checked out, I left a book that I no longer wanted in my room and they immediately went to clean it while I was sitting in the front area and I saw them look through my book but never mentioned to me that I may have forgotten a book. Although I hadn't forgotten it, most staff in other hotels would at least ask. If you forget anything in your room, it probably won't be returned. One good thing is the street was blocked off and someone from the hotel walked with me to get a taxi in another block. However, he seemed annoyed about helping me and even when I give him a dollar as a tip because I didn't have any small Bolivian bills he didn't say thank you even though it was a generous tip and even though I thanked him for helping me.

Potosi can be done as a day trip from Sucre or if you start out early from Sucre you can visit Potosi during the day and then continue on to Uyuni later in the day (last bus is 5 or 6PM). I recommend not staying overnight in Potosi.

The hotel booked a bus ticket for me and said they were charging me 5 bolivianos extra but it was really 10 bolivianos extra and they got the ticket from the office in the center so I would have saved money by going myself. I only bought it through them because they told me I would have to go to the bus stations so it would cost me more money. I took Trans Diana to Uyuni.

Very dirty hotel and very overpriced. But there is heat and it is warm inside.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
12  Thank toantarticaandbeyond
There are newer reviews for Hostal Colonial

Reviewed October 12, 2011

So kind, so welcoming! Our entrance into Potosi was difficult having inadvertently got involved in a quite nasty protest against the government. By the time we arrived in the hotel we were a little nervous and somewhat jaded. From the minute we walked in we felt completely safe & at home. An enormous, (slightly old) spotlessly clean room, with two large twin beds and large seating area greeted us. Wi-fi in our room acceptable. Staff, only want to please. The hotel is colonial so furniture may seem old, but it is appropriate to the whole style of the hotel which is like stepping back in time. (Check out the courtyards). Our room at the back of the hotel was quiet and the big bathroom had great towels & strong shower. Located directly opposite one of the best restaurants in town and one minute from the main square everything was within easy reach. Minor complaint - breakfast - great but all by order. How long can it really take to get that first cup of coffee? Too long!! Potosi is not a happy town. Hostal Colonial a very safe haven

Room Tip: Be at the back. Less traffic noise from a busy front rooms
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elsiek
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed in Hostal Colonial Potosi last August, 2011. The room was comfortable, although the bathroom was a little bit small. But the water was hot and the central heating worked very well. Breakfast was so so, without any cheeses, only bread and butter. But the fruits were good. We strongly recommend the Rosicler restaurant, where the llama meat with coca sauce is a dream.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Quiet atmosphere and very conveniently located a block from the main plaza. Most of the guests were middle-aged or older. The dining room ladies were very cheerful. The front desk staff were polite but more reserved. Room was clean and cozy. The bathroom was very spacious; the (double) bedroom a bit cramped. Wifi was fast and easy to use. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2011

By international standards this is far from a great hotel, but by Bolivian standards we thought it was pretty good. The location is great, and the building itself is lovely, set around 2 courtyards.

Our room was enormous (double room 360bs), with a big bathroom. The decor was dated but we didn't care, it was warm with 2 heaters and 24 hour hot water. It also has good free wifi. Breakfast is not amazing but it is free!

We put our valuables in the reception safe on one day and had no problems.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 9, 2011

On a two week tour of southern Bolivia, one night at this hotel was more than enough for me and my partner.

We loved the country, but this hotel was by far the most disappointing place we stayed; a shame, because the location is great and the buildings - laid out around two courtyards - are beautiful.

At the back of the hotel, our room was small and dark, with 2 tiny single beds (we'd requested a double). However, the worst thing about it was the old, grey carpet and the years of dust collected in it. Judging by the smell and the number of times we sneezed throughout the night, I don't think the floor had ever seen a vacuum cleaner.

On reflection, we shouldn't have accepted the room we were offered, but the aloof "greeting" on arrival meant we didn't feel able to challenge it. Unlike an earlier reviewer, we couldn't get excited about the breakfast.

A few simple, inexpensive changes to this hotel and it could be a wonderful place to stay. Unfortunately, aloof reception staff, a lack of investment in the interiors, cold service, and a stale, dusty smell throughout, mean it definitely is not. Sure, it has heating - but I regard that as a minimum from what is supposed to be the best accommodation in the city (which says a lot about Potosi, by the way - the only place in the country that we were glad to leave).

Room Tip: Challenge the first room you're offered...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ADL_London
Reviewed May 25, 2011

We spent 2 nice warm nights at the Colonial in May. The hotel is very centrally located. We asked for a room in the back and had a beautiful view of the patio. The rooms were dated and on a 3star level but the heat worked well. Breakfast, once you find the dining room, is lovely with delicious fresh juices. The hotel is a bit overpriced but discounts might be available

• Stayed: May 2011