“Bit expensive for what it is”
Review of Hostal Koala Den

Hostal Koala Den
Ranked #1 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Potosi
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I guess it's the place everyone goes, but I wasn't too impressed. It looks good, and the breakfast is really yumm, but the staff were unfriendly and I almost didn't stay for that reason. But the rooms have heating and that is so welcome!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Koala Den is quite expensive for Bolivia, and it houses a huge amount of people. Everything looks a bit old, especially the rooms. The place is very clean, the breakfast is good. The staff was helpful although they really tried to push us to do the mining tour with them. There is a bar, but the drinks are cheaper in the shop next door.
If you're looking to do the mining tour, you might consider going with Big Deal tours. This company is created by former guides from the Koala Den (ex-miners). You're still not sure if any of your money goes to the miners, but at least it goes to ex-miners and not some rich guy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Definitely one of the best breakfasts I have had in South America! Lovely staff that were helpful and friendly. There was a great atmosphere. I found it easy to get talking to other guests. I very much enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed at this hostel for one night, in the 4-bed dorm. This hostel has a good location, up a quiet street. It has a large common area, internet cafe and tv-room. The staff are happy to help with bus-times, ordering of taxis, etc. Those are the positives.
Negatives: Our dorm room had an en-suite bathroom. The door did not close, which was a bit uncomfortable as we shared the room with strangers. There was no soap in the room. The shower is too close to the toilet. The wifi was veeeeery slow, however it is like this all over Bolivia. The worst part about this hostel is that the breakfast is included in the cost of the room, it is not optional. Our bus left at 8.30am the next morning, and breakfast started at 8am, when we were leaving. We asked them if we could have breakfast at 7.45, but this is apparently impossible. Next morning, several other people were also leaving around 8am , and also ate their own breakfast around 7.30 - while the breakfast-lady was making pancakes in the kitchen. They could have at least offered us some pancakes, as we had actually already paid for them... but no, she was really rude when we made our own coffee, did not even say good morning.
All in all, this place is ok, but do not expect any hospitality.

Room Tip: The 4-bed dorm has got single beds, so choose this one if you can live with the bathroom door not cl...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Torunn B
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Hostal Koala Den is close to the main square of Potosi. It's a large hostel with 45 beds (that's the number I've heard). They have a dvd-room where you can watch lots of movies, a pc-area, large breakfasttable and lot's of places to sit and relax.

We stayed in a 4p-room and it was ok, though the smell of dust and moist wasn't a good combination. The sheets are clean, but the covering blankets still make me feel itchy.

The staff was great: it was like staying over at yor friends parents house. They are all a bit older and made us feel very welcome. Booking tours and making reservations for taxis was already part of the fun.

The only downside was the bad WiFi-connection. With so many people in the hostal you can imagine that the bandwith would be a problem, but in this case it was more often completely out of order. But well, you're here for the travel, not for staying in touch with the friends back home, aren't you?

Room Tip: They are probably all the same. So no worries.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed in a double room with private bathroom for 180BOB. The bed was enormous and really comfortable and the shower was hot and powerful.We also had a good TV and a safe.
The breakfast was great (hot drink, rolls, scrambled egg, jam, pineapple and bananas) and the owner was really friendly. The wifi was pretty rubbish (no good for streaming) and didn't work at all on the second day, although there are 5 (very slow) PCs that can be used for free. Our only other ciriticism was that our bathroom smelt of damp and this came through to the main room too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I found the hostal in the guidebook I was using (2012 Footprints Handbook). While they are great guides, they aren't bibles, and I realized over time that the recos are sometimes overrated or outdated. So always cross reference on other sites, like Tripadvisor, for more up to date reviews...

NOTE: This review is for the annex. There was no availability in the main building. And I stayed April 2012.

I decided to splurge on a private room. I ended up getting a room with two beds and a TV on the second floor, which is where the better bathroom and computer room are. The downstairs bathroom is a bit dilapidated and the kitchen is tiny and can get dirty pretty fast. Lights go out around midnight, so you can be sure that there aren't going to be late night parties, but if you want to turn in early, just note that the rooms surround the courtyard (common area), so be prepared to use your earplugs to block out the loud laughing and guitar playing. And I remember that one night, music was blasting from next door. Not sure if it's a night club, but it overtook the common area noise once the lights went out. Other than that, I met super cool travelers here. Definitely a social hostel if that is your cup of tea.

They offer breakfast too, but it is only served in the main building, so those in the annex just need to walk over. It was pretty phenomenal...more than most hostels offer: fresh squeezed orange juice, eggs, pancakes, fruit, and bread with the typical fixings, then your choice of cocoa, tea, or coffee.

Koala also offers the silver mine tours. I went with another tour operator, a bit cheaper and that I would recommend, but there's really no need to shop around. If I go back to Potosi, which is a high possibility as I lost my photos from a robbery (sigh...), I will do it with Koala. The tours are all the same...around 100 Bs and after speaking with fellow guests, they all highly recommended it. The only difference is the route they take in the mines. I think to prevent a ton of backup, different agencies use different tunnels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo