“Loved it.”
Review of Hostal Koala Den

Hostal Koala Den
Ranked #1 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Potosi
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I can´t fault the place. The staff were really friendly, always busy and willing to help. Breakfast was BRILLIANT (basket of bread, butter, jam, scrambled eggs, tea/coffee/hot chocolate, melon, pineapple, bananas) We were almost sick from eating every morning!!! It´s located just off the central plaza and they give any info you want on the map. You can also book anything you want there, bus, taxi, trips, etc. There is free internet, a tv/dvd room, book exchange and kitchen facilities. The BEST hot shower I´ve had in Bolivia and the rooms were lovely, spacious, individual lamps and really comfy beds!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hostal Koala Den

Reviewed April 30, 2012

I stayed in Koala Den for a couple of days during my time in Potosi, Bolivia.
Had no reservation, but they could find me a bed. The place is popular, so I would recommend a reservation, because I'm sure not everybody was as lucky as me.

The hostal is placed about 5 minutes walk from the main sqaure, and is located in a nice and quite street, where very few cars are driving due the day, and almost none by night.
There is a common room just at the reception, and from there you can go to the Wi-Fi.
Besides that there is a TV-room (lots of DVD's!), free computer use (eventough 2 or 3 of the 4 computers doesn't work) and kitchen access.

The breakfast is included in the prize, and it's actually pretty cool. You get your standard bread, jam and butter. But besides that great jugo (juice), whatever you want to drink (coffe, tea, water or chocolate) and scrample eggs.
Note that if your during a mining-tour with Koala Den, you will get your breakfast upgraded and recieve batido (kind of milkshake) and pancakes.
There is also all the bananas you can eat(!).

The reason I liked it so much was the price. When I stayed there the price was 40 bolivianos for a night in a dorm-bed (the breakfast included) and I saw that as great value-for-money.

Room Tip: I stayed in a matrimonial with a shared bathroom in the common room. It's often in use, so try t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Koala den was a nice comfortable place to stay the night in Potosi. We rented a nice private room that was comfortable and included cable tv which was nice. The room was clean, and the private bathroom was as well. The showers were hot and great. The kitchen facilities were usable, although a bit cramped. The tv room was ok, although pretty much every DVD was missing. Staff needs to brush up on their knowledge. We were told it's better to book a bus the morning we were leaving then book it in advance at the hostel due to their commission. We arrived at the bus station and the tickets were the exact same price, but sold out until the following day. If we wouldn't have been misled we would have made our bus. Too bad.

Room Tip: Top floor to escape from the noises below.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelready7
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Koala Den is a nice and cheap hostel. The room was OK, with one matrimonial bed and one window to the street (quiet street, so no problem with noise). The shower was good and hot. There was heating but actually the room was quite warm so we used it very little. The complimentary breakfast was also quite good, with fruit, bread (one of the best breads we had in Bolivia), tea/coffee and eggs. We booked the mine tours with the hostel and we were very happy about it. The hostel is quite busy, but after 12 they close the kitchen so that means you can actually get some good sleep. I would definitely return there.

Room Tip: I think that if you book in advance you have more chances of having a good room. We did it (in the d...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Even though this hostel has nice facilities, like a kitchen and hot showers, it was overall a dreadful experience. The bed had fleas and when I courteosly asked if they had something I could spray on it they accused ME of bringing them to the hotel. I spent my birthday in this place and at 12pm they asked me to go to my room. This is a youth hostel, yet at 11-12pm they disconnect wifi, close the doors and turn off all the lights... isn't it supposed to be a young, fun hostel?
We made a reservation 3 days in advance, and called on the day to confirm it. When we arrived, we were sent to another hostel, to a shared room (when we booked a private one) with a shared bathroom which was in AWFUL conditions. When we complained, the receptionist started insulting us for being argentinian (!!), LIED to us about the price (it costed 40bs, and she told us she was making as a discount when she wasn't) and she didn't even apologize or attempted to resolve the situation.
After that, one of my friend's MP3 was stolen, and all the answer we could get (when we were expecting at least a "we are sorry to hear that, we'll ask if anyone saw it) was "oh yes, you Argentinians are always complaining, when you are a bunch of thieves"
A very upsetting experience. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mariana R
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We arrived in tired at 4am and we were greeted with a big smile from Maria. She also immediately showed us to our room and put the heating on. Then in the morning the breakfast was great too, fruit, breads, eggs.. Well worth staying here. Very social too.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Allowed us early check in, and a late checkout becUse i was sick at the time and and left the extra amount charged up to us! Also conveniently arranged a tour to the mines right from the hostal. Breakfast was included and there was a good bunch of people staying here!

• Stayed: January 2012