“hostel no, mine tour yes!”

Hostal La Casona Potosi
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Potosi
Bocholt
“hostel no, mine tour yes!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hostel was one of the worst I stayed in. Everything is cold, not very clean, the staff was unfriendly and our room smelled very bad and had mold on the walls. Internet was only working in the reception but very slow and when you pay for the internet at their computers in the reception, it is still slow but compared to the Wifi much better. Breakfast was standard.
Only pro at this hostel: the mine tour we booked through them was very very good (80BOB with an English Guide). Our guide Johnny was knowledgable, fun and his English was good too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We arrived in Potosi at 11 pm and the only place we knew of was the Hostal Casona. (Lonely Planet) It was a dump, literally. In front of the door to my room was a pile of dirt they must have been using to fix the place up. 1 meter high and about 3 meters long. The man at the desk told us they had WiFi, but he forgot to mention it was only in the lobby AND the lobby was closed. He also told me that I would get a towel with my room, forgot to mention I'd have to rent it for 5 bs. The place smelled like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time there were live wires coming out the walls, none of the sockets in the room had covers on them. The bedside table had 2 legs and was propped up against the wall. I figured it was nailed up or supported somehow, of course not so when I sat my toiletries on it, if fell down. Normally I'm the type of person that would clean up the mess but in this place I thought why bother.
The morning staff was no better than the night staff. The woman in front of us in line to get our breakfast ticket asked where the her tour company was located in the city. The man behind the desk was very upset that she had not used the hostal to book her tour. He ended the conversation by saying "I don't know or care where your tour company is, if you want to find it rent one the computers and look it up." She had booked with the same mine tour company as us, it was 2 blocks away.
I got a towel and breakfast ticket, poured a cup of coffee and took it outside so I could smoke. He came outside and asked me what I thought I was doing. At that point I was in no mood to talk to him, so I was quite rude back. I went inside for a second cup of coffee and was told it would cost me.
The people that showered before breakfast all said they had hot water, but there was none left when I tried to have a shower.
Check out time is 10:30 and trust me don't be a minute late. They have a large sign that says ALWAYS get a receipt if you pay for something at the desk, so I did. I didn't get a receipt but got a long song and dance about why the man behind the desk couldn't make a receipt.
It's not the cheapest in town, it smells very bad, there are piles of dirt everywhere, probably mold infested and has very poor service. I wouldn't let a street dog spend a night there. I would have checked out 2 mins after checking in if I had any idea where another hostal was located. The 5 people I went to Potosi with all agreed, it was horrible.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Potosi hotels

NYC
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Find anywhere else to stay, try the place across the street actually. Something with Jesus in the name.

This place is disgusting. I wouldn't recommend it even if it were free. They have the most unfriendly guy running the front desk. The room we stayed in had a mold problem, which I tried to overlook because it had a heater. The second night it pooped out and they weren't willing to make any concessions. The mold is a real health issue, not just cleanliness issue. I have pictures too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Centrally located hostel in Potosi based around a charming glass roofed courtyard.

Helpful staff who booked taxis, recommended restaurants, spoke good English and sold drinks at decent price.

DVD hire free and nightly viewing of 'The Devils Miner' for bs5, a must see if visiting the mines.

Private room was big and heating worked well at night as it gets very cold in Potosi!

Problems:
Few toilets & showers on shared facilities
Based round a courtyard meaning noise echoes at night when other backpackers may come in.
Internet only in reception.

Do not book mine tour through the hostel as the company is not good.

• Stayed July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The wifi doesn't work (only slowly in reception), the staff are rude, the place is cold as hell and they claim heating but keep it turned down almost to off and it is not clean. We stayed in the twin room and there were pubes all through my bed and the sheets were dirty. Oh And the toilet door locks you in. It's the cheapest place in town so if you don't care about that stuff it's a bed.

• Stayed July 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Reviews are always subjective, and sometimes depend on how lucky you are. Ho(s)tels can be under repairing during your dates there or you can find some others better than yours after you get there. That's what has happened in Potosi. My bathroom was actually a swimming pool and the price was higher than another, which was pretty much more good value. Well, better luck for me next time. Overall evaluation, average.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Potosi was freezing and La Casona boasting 'central heating.' Hmmm, technically true, but it worked luke warm for about 2 hours and that was it...but at least the shower was hot which is not a given in Bolivia by any means. Good location, awful breakfast, but that's Bolivia for you, never expect too much when it comes to service, just enjoy the scenery.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family