“Worth going”

Ranked #42 of 76 Vina del Mar B&B and Inns
Santiago, Chile
“Worth going”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have stayed there many times for the last 8 years. Miguel, the host and owner is really warm and makes you feel at ease. This B and B has an astonishing view of Valparaiso and Viña del Mar Bay. It is located up in the hills with easy and comfortable transport. The pries are totally affordable.
The gardens big enough to make a barbecue and enjoy the pool at the same time.

Room Tip: The ones with a private bathroom
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Our family groups of 14 stayed here 3 nights. It is nothing like advertised on line. Everything is in need of maintenance and is rundown badly . Broken windows with large open areas, Most light fixtures don't work. The fridge that is for guests to use is very dirty inside and out. Not clean. We all 14 were disappointed . You are also car/bus dependant here but that was Ok, the bus is easy, or 50 minute walk to downtown. On the up side, the views are gorgeous and it is quiet. He has a large open common room for get togethers that worked well for us. Overall, highly misrepresented online.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Ottawa, a Capital town
Reviewed January 15, 2010

The house is located part-way up one of the many hills rising up from the coast, and every room has large windows and balcony views of the town and surrounding beaches. The house was built in a quiet, safe neighbourhood and with the panorama in mind, and the living/dining area has large picture winodows all round, with yet another balcony. The swimming pool and garden add to the amenities. If you want to go into town, or to one of the local beaches, you are just a short bus or taxi ride away. The distance would even be a reasonable walk.
Miguel, our host, is friendly, helpful, gracious and a valuable source of information. He is very enthusiastic about using his English wherever possible. His personal interest certainly adds to the overall charm and warmth of the B&B.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2009

We had been recommended to stay at this B&B in VDM and were not disappointed. We were treated to a comfortable room, magnificent views, warm sun when on the verandahs and a beautiful log fire in the cool evenings - in a uniquely designed lounge room. Miguel & Sylvia are very caring hosts and made sure that we always comfortable. My Fathers House is a 20-30 minute walk to the city or a hair-raising 5 minute bus trip uphill from town. Not to be missed. Highly recommended. Rick Marg Australia

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I discovered this B&B completly by chance; I was traveling alone in Chili and after paying
several hundred dollars for a very noisy hotel room on San Martin Avenue I felt I needed peace and quietness. Supprisingly the concierge at my hotel told me about this place. She immediatly phoned Miguel the owner and reserved a place for me. As I said earlier I was traveling alone and I am a woman speaking only french and english so I was looking for a safe environment and there it was. I was greeted with warmth and Miguel spoke to me as best he could in english. His english is better than my spanish . My room was clean and offered a spectacular view of the city and ocean. Miguel gave me good tips on where to go and what to see in Vina del Mar and even accompanied me to the bus.
I slept really well. Next morning Sylvia prepared a nice continental breakfast for me in the dinning area.I felt right at home. I recommend this place to people traveling alone or with others that want a safe place to stay at a more than affordable price.I did not get a chance to swim in the pool but it was very inviting.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Oslo
Reviewed January 20, 2009

We came to My Fathers House after staying at another nice hostel in Vina del Mar, Chile. The owner of this place is extremly welcomming and friendly and he'll make you feel as home away from home immidiatly. We had stayed for a few nights when he offered to make us a special traditional chilenian barbeque -and what a barbeque! Really nice food in romantic surroundings -the garden just beside the pool with the magnificent view of Vina del Mar. -The hostel is just on a hillside so you overlook the entire city of Vina del Mar and some parts of Valpareiso.

Migoel (the owner) is more than happy to help out with excursions of any kind, he knows the area of this coastline very well (and of course the wine districts) so he phones around and make appointments for you at your request. A service that we more than once took advantage of, as we went both horsebackriding (extremely cheap here! and you'll remember the gallops on the beaches for a long time...) and winetasting.

The four friends of us that stayed here really enjoyed the hospitality and warmth of this guy and we truly recommend it as a place to stay if you go to Vina del Mar area. It's cheap, 34 000 pesos for a night -double room (two beds) or 39 000 (double room but on first floor with the sea view). There are constantly buses straight outside the door or he'll call a cab for you. (Our phones didn't work here for some odd reason so that's why he had to help us so much).

• Liked — The owner, the place, the service, the view
  • Disliked — nothing in particular
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed December 4, 2008

This place was a total let down!! Just like "sunseeker76" we booked vias the internet site as the place looked wonderfully. Unfortunately the pictures on the internet are twenty years old and no maintainence has been done to the property since those photos were taken. The owner said he has owned it for the last five years. The place is so run down. We booked a triple room with a view for $39,000 pesos a night - so so overpriced. The third single bed was actually a mattress on the floor. The sheets were so thin and the pillows only filled a third of the pillowslip. There was only one light bulb working in the room. We shared a bathroom with two other rooms, with the toilet door not shutting, tiles falling off the walls and old toothpaste all over the basins in the bathroom. The towels we were given to used must have been 20 yrs old and we had to ask for toilet paper as there was none in the bathroom The keys we were given for our rooms were all bent, that we were lucky that they worked. The grass around the pool area was very overgrown. The BBQ hadn't been used in years. The breakfast was really bad and we thanked our luck stars we were only staying one night. I almost forgot the view which was the only good thing about the place. Also its too far away from the town & restaurants.

• Liked — The view but then you forgot about that!
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gksmith