Hotel Restaurant Cap Ducal
$255
  • Pool
Hotel Monterilla(Vina del Mar)
$150
$146
$109
$258
$180
Atton San Martin(Vina del Mar)
$129
  • Breakfast included
La Casa del Almirante(Vina del Mar)(Great Value!)
$150
  • Breakfast included
$86
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $96/night.

$105
$88
Priceline
Conference Town Hotel(Vina del Mar)
$119
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel was built in 1936. I love everything vintage, but this hotel shows some important run-down. It is painful to see and experience, because the place is a gem and could even have historical value for visitors of Viña if correctly refurbished. If you pay attention to old photos of the hotel (displayed by the hotel reception), you will even see a graffitti (in front of the beach now used by surfers) calling to vote for the Chilean Nazist party then existing in Chile.

This hotel was modeled after an ocean liner and is actually on the sea, so it almost feels like you are sailing. Room windows are so large that it is even scary getting too close to them, so imagine the fantastic views. This only aspect almost makes up for the hotel shortcomings. The same day we arrived, we saw a huge sea lion from our window, swimming along the surfers.

Our room was in front of the ocean and had a great view of the beautiful hotel/casino. Rooms on the other side of the hotel also have sea views, but are shared with a view to the street and are noisier.

Another very nice thing about this hotel is that it is placed at walking distance from most attractions and best dining places in Viña. The hotel restaurant itself is good and always busy, with amazing views too.

Hotel staff is kind in general and let us make late check-out without even calling us to leave. Be sure to leave your room keys at reception whenever you leave your room or they would not clean it. You enter the hotel and restaurant through the same door, so do not be surprised when the person welcoming restaurant customers is also your reception guy.

Our room had an extremely dirty big floor rug. I wanted to remove the rug, but the floor below it had not been cleaned in ages, so I finally decided to leave the rug where it was. Other than that, the room and hotel were clean in general. We had to keep begging for toilette paper, as they would not provide the standard amount you find in any other hotel.

When I was checking-out, they charged an additional surprise 19% VAT. I am a frequent traveler and this is the first time I have to pay a so high tax in a hotel. This was not my first time in Chile, so I suspect this is just a bad practice from this hotel and not an actual tax. I ended up paying USD 155 per night for a very small room, which I feel is way too expensive for this type of hotel. However, it is hard to find nice hotels in Viña for a similar price.

I do not discard staying at this hotel again, but it will not be my first option (mainly due to its lack of refurbishing).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank GuillermoP789
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel eight or nine times since 2005. It is always my only choice when I come to Vina (I have also stayed at the location in Santiago). This is definitely not your standard hotel. If you are from North America and want a standard business hotel, try the Sheraton up the road at over twice the price. The building was put up in 1936 by a famous architect, and has been altered over the years. The theme is nautical throughout, and no two rooms are the same. There are a number of great features about this place. One is that the beds are the most comfortable that I have slept in, and the sound of the waves outside is amazingly restful. Its true that the traffic noise can be heard from some of the road side rooms, but it gets quieter at night. I have stayed in many different rooms, and have never really been bothered by the noise. Some of the bathrooms are a bit on the small side, but then I am 6 foot 4, and Chile is designed for short people. However, some bathrooms are quite large with huge bathtubs. The staff are extremely helpful and polite, and dealt with all of my requests promptly. They really deserve their tip. Some reviews have commented on shabby carpets. Recently all of the carpets in the rooms have been replaced with hardwood flooring, which is a great improvement. New flat panel TV as well. All of the rooms give a sea view, but some are better than others. The breakfast is included, and has a good variety with fresh orange juice.

Now, to the restaurant. Even if you do not use the hotel, you have to come for dinner. The food is he best seafood in Vina, the service is impeccable and the wine selection fairly broad, mostly of Chilean wines. Most of the tables give a good view over the sea and the town. We watched the New Year's fireworks this year from our room, which is the best vantage point.

Overall this is a great hotel. I really recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for room 6 - enormous and overlooks the sea
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
15  Thank EdmontonDoctor
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We didn't stay overnight here but you can't walk by this ocean liner designed hotel/restaurant without being intrigued. We lingered over lunch, the view, watching the diving pelicans, enjoying the atmosphere. The food was okay - nothing special but after some really awful over salted, overcooked meals in Chile and Argentina 'average' worked for us. But the Chilean wines recommended by the friendly waiter were superb.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank FloridaMarvin
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We passed by this restaurant during the day while walking around Vina del Mar. Immediately we were intrigued by its unique location and structure however it seemed slightly run-down during the day. There were tons of pelicans sitting atop the building leaving droppings everywhere. Needless to say, we skipped the restaurant for lunch. However for dinner we really wanted to eat somewhere with an ocean view so we gave the restaurant another chance. Since it was dark out, most of the location's inferiorities were masked. We sat at a table lit by candlelight next to the window. It was an amazing experience with beautiful views of the city lights and the noise of the waves crashing against the building. The waiter was extremely courteous and even though he didn't speak much English, that didn't stop him from trying to impress my parents who don't speak any Spanish. We ordered a mixture of entrees at our table (beef, chicken and fish) and all were delicious. Everybody was a member of the clean-plate club that night.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank LAB017
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed at The Cap Ducal in Vina del Mar while visiting our daughter who did a study abroad in Valparaiso Jan.-Aug. 2011. The place is amazing!!! We had one of the suites on the top floor-- windows for 180 degrees. A view of a German Castle, the sea and the city of Vina del Mar.A huge bedroom, nothing but windows and a nice sitting area with a daybed. If you like a standard hotel room, don't stay here! The Sheraton is right up the street for twice the price. However, if you are a traveler rather than a tourist Cap Ducal is the place to stay. The staff were so helpful and the restaurant was great! Try the Conger Eel. Complimentary breakfast every morning with fresh strawberry, orange and grapefruit juices, meats, cheeses and local fruit. Our daughter's friends from school were even welcome to join us. If you really want a true Chilean experience, this is the place to stay!!!!!!

Room Tip: You can look at all the rooms, very unique
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family