“Smoked pork chops & apple pancakes for dessert”
Review of El Austriaco

El Austriaco
Ranked #1 of 491 Restaurants in Vina del Mar
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Baltimore, Maryland
“Smoked pork chops & apple pancakes for dessert”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Thanks for Trip Advisor for sending us here for lunch. My husband was a bit reluctant, in that he thought the food might be too heavy for a summer lunch. There were plenty of choices of fish & salads for him so he was surprised and happy. I went for the smoked pork chops, which were wonderful, & finished it up with the apple pancake dessert. The dessert was great also, and not very heavy like you might think. It was based mainly on fresh lightly spiced sliced apples, and a thin pancake (like a crepe). The wine list is extensive. Glad we went!

PS: look carefully at TA reviews for anywhere in Chile. The ones that have lots of 1 review contributors are suspect, in my opinion.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank alb32

“Delicious, kitschy and legit”
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Hubby and I just returned from a happy dinner at EL AUSTRIACO (The Austrian) after reading reviews here and we were NOT disappointed... Pictures are authentic- that's exactly what you'll be served... Old school Austrian/German/ meat and potatoes type fare with a Chilean flair run by husband and wife team who come out to say hello to you! Food was beautifully cooked, meats tender and flavorful, sauces delectable, spatzel FRESH and buttery. TRY the lamb- moist, fall off the bone and not too "lamb-y" deliciousness. Prices same as back in states. Unpretentious small restaurant a block from casino. Yum.

3 Thank Alwxa
“One word - delicious!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

At first I was unsure whether eating Austrian food in Chilean resort town is the best option. After all, I realized that it was the best selection I could make. Maybe, we were lucky, as when we came in, the restaurant was quite empty, so we could get a nice table without a reservation. Later on the place was full. There is nothing special about the decorations or atmosphere, but looks quite luxury within its simpleness.
The most amazing thing was, of course, the food itself - we had shrimps with garlic as appetizer, beef meet in sweet and sour sauce with Sauerkraut as a side dish and Apfelstrudel for a desert. I lived in Berlin for 2 years and I can judge German-Austrian food somehow. Everything was super tasty, I am here in Chile for 3 months so far and it was one of the rare times I enjoyed the food very much, I still remember the taste. I would go back if I have a chance to return to Vina del Mar anytime soon. Highly recommend as for couples so for families with children, as there were many around.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Esmira M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Original, Warm Service, Great Food”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

In Viña for a couple days with my family, we picked El Austriaco for dinner one night based entirely on Tripadvisor reviews. We weren't disappointed! It's a fairly unassuming place, but you definitely know you're in a European restaurant when you sit down. The owner and his wife run the place, and they've been in Viña for about 12 years.

Service was great, from the friendly greeting, to having the chef come out and talk us through the menu. We never felt overwhelmed or lacking anything. Most of the staff speak some English, as well.

The food was great. They offer a very interesting variety of meats and game (I've never had ostrich carpaccio before!), and the food is cooked superbly. The deer steak was fantastic, and of course you can't go wrong with a nice bottle of Chilean carmenere to go with it.

Overall, it was a nice stop for dinner. Next time we're in Viña del Mar, we'll be back!

3 Thank Pfdr17
Ottawa, Canada
“A wonderful night in Vina”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I selected El Austriaco based on the reviews and once again, wasn't disappointed. What a wonderful night with good friends far from home. Dieter welcomed us into his "home", and created an unbelievable meal - my filet was as good as I have ever had. When I'm far from home, I want a great night out, and El Austriaco delivered. I'm in Valparaiso/Vina every 2 years, and my dance card for dinner in 2014 is now complete.

• Visited December 2012