“Very tasty and filling for a reasonable price.”
Review of Kan Zaman

Kan Zaman
Ranked #1,713 of 9,701 Restaurants in Dubai
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I'd been walking around Shindagha heritage village after work and by 8pm was feeling a bit peckish. I got a table by the creek and didn't have to wait long to place my order. The service was quick all evening, I was brought my drinks straight away (by the way, a large water is a 1.5l bottle - I didn't mind, I was very thirsty and polished that and my other drink off).

The food was very tasty, I had planned to get a pudding afterwards, but after the starter and main, I simply didn't have the space. Not being an expert in Arab food, I can't say if it was how it should be, I can say, however, that it was very tasty.

There are newer reviews for Kan Zaman

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went to Kan Zaman around 7pm and got a nice table by the creek without reservation. We both ate Arabian Shawarma since we hadn't tasted it before and saw it on the menu. I know it's not probably at the best in this kind of restaurant. The dish was huge and neither of us couldn't finish it. Shawarma was excellent although I don't have anything to compare it to. We also had a mixed pastry dish for starters which was a nice way to start the meal and was something that two could share.

I was told before that the correct way to end a meal is to enjoy apple sheesha (water pipe) but since I'm not a smoker, I didn't dare to try it. The restaurant had a nice selection of different aromas and most tables were smoking as they probably do in most places in the evening.

The view was nice to the creek and watching the dinner boats passing by in all the lights and colors was something nice while waiting for the food. The service was nice but nothing special in it. It took some time to get a waiter to the table but that didn't bother us that much since we were in no hurry and we had the boats to watch.

If you want classic Arabian food with a nice view, I highly recommend this place. It's also located very near to the heritage village so you can combine the two. We had a great dinner and left the restaurant full and satisfied.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We used to visit the place 2-3 times a week before. the whole experience there is unstable. sometimes the hospiatality is great sometimes you feel offended -sometimes we just move to the next restaurants-. the food is always great! but the main problem is in the mood swings of the staff there. you can really feel very welcomed, sometimes spoiled and at bad days, you feel like you'll even fight with them or just leave realy upset.
the shisha is good, the location is beautiful and the food is one of the best!

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Good varied local menu that doesn't stand out to what you get at other restaurants in the region. The location, however, overlooking the creek is great!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

To begin with.......we visit the restaurant every month as we are residents of Dubai. Today, was a very poor experience.

We were waited on by a staff named "SAMER". From the time we seated ourselves, to the time we placed the order and left, we made several observations to name a few.

1. We had to ask for Salt & Pepper 3 times....over a wait time of 15 minutes. I could understand if this was a busy hour but not in our case. We were there early in the evening and the restaurant was not at all busy. Our food was nearly cold by the time the Salt & Pepper arrived.

2. When the food was served......no diner plates, forks, knives served......How should we eat?

3. We ordered Pepsi for drinks.......we were served one glass for 2 Pepsi cans (2people). Now how do you explain that? One guest gets to sip the drink out of a glass and the other from the can.......We had to ask the wait staff of what is wrong with them. First the Salt & Pepper, next the glass. We thought that would be the last of it. But it gets worse......

4. As we were going through our meal, the good old Mr. SAMER was speaking to someone while an elderly couple went to occupy the table next to ours considering that they would enjoy their meal and the evening evening by the creek. But "Mr. SAMER" swoops in to tell the couple to move on to another table. We felt really bad for the couple as they looked pretty embarrased and "Mr. SAMER" very gently allowed the other person he was speaking with to accommodate himself on the now abandoned table.

5. ICING ON THE CAKE - When we asked for the Bill/Check.......we were offered a LOYALTY program. For being a regular customer and being there just 2 weeks ago, what we observed and experienced, we think that the restaurant management should train their staff how to behave with customers and more so how not to embarass other customers by asking them to relocate to other tables just because someone has buttered them.

To conclude my review, the service that we experienced on account of "Mr. Samer" and some of his team members (Black trousers and white shirts) was not only ours as "Mr. SAMER" and some of his selected team members were observed to be giving preference to certain tables only (supposedly for obvious reasons) and WILLFULLY ignoring others.

Verdict:
Good restaurant, good ambience, good food, good views but bad hospitality and biased service.