“Another great stay”

Ranked #21 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Cheshire
“Another great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

We decided to return to stay at the Intercontinental Festival City as we had enjoyed our visit so much last year. Yet again, we asked for an upgrade to a Club Room, at extra cost, in order to use the Club Lounge on the 26th Floor. We were told that we might not be able to upgrade as the hotel was very busy, but, on checking in, we found that we had the upgrade. The room, with a creek view, was lovely and the bed very comfortable. The only little thing that could be improved, would be the resumption of the ‘turn-back service’ with the little Elemis treats left on the pillow. I’m not sure why this has been discontinued, but we did receive this service on our last night in the Crown Plaza.
The experience in the Club Lounge was even better than last year. At breakfast, you can order eggs or cooked breakfast, but there is also a well-stocked buffet with breads, pastries, fresh fruit, cheeses and juices.
A proper afternoon tea has been started since our last visit, which we sampled one day. It was very well presented, with little sandwiches, gorgeous tiny cakes and warm scones and cream.
A new buffet with hot dishes has just been introduced, which was excellent. There are different little hot and cold dishes on offer everyday, with one speciality freshly prepared to order. There are also delightful little desserts and a great cheese board.
The staff in the lounge were attentive, professional and friendly and are a credit to the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble, and they even helped us extend our stay for two nights even though we had to move to the Crown Plaza next door as the hotel was full.
The Crown Plaza was very good too. Our room was again, very clean and very comfortable. We would certainly be very happy to stay there again if the Intercontinental was full.
The extensive pool area is well-staffed, clean towels appearing and being arranged on your lounger as you approach your chosen bed! Fresh fruit is sometimes brought round by the staff, and the bar serves drinks and food.
Another special stay, and we would definitely love to return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a creek view room, which also looks towards the city and the Burj Khalifa
3 Thank Julie1Cheshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

I have just paid my 4th visit to this hotel and have always enjoyed my visits immensely. As a Royal Ambassador member you are made to feel very welcome indeed and the perks that go with membership are very welcome and very useful. I would say that things have improved on this visit especially the quality of the food in the Club room which was simply excellent. As per previous visits the quality of the rooms, pool area, gym and the staff were all exceptional. I am very much looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: A high floor room overlooking the creek offers exceptional views
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed here with my wife for 4 nights in December for New Year. We had a great time and would stay here again without hesitation. The hotel was very busy when we were there, so my comments reflect the effect on its overall infastructure.

The highlights

+ Club Intercontinental Lounge
Definately the highlight, the club lounge is one of the best I have experienced in the InterContinental portfolio. A la carte breakfast service was very good and made a nice change from the mass hotel buffet I have grown to hate. Afternoon tea is superb, very well presented. Evening cocktails also very good selection of food, which changed daily. I also enjoyed the signature tasting dishes showcasing the hotels restaurants that were served each evening.

The service in the lounge was excellent and very attentive. The entire staff were extremely well trained and could not have been more helpful and gracious.

+ Location and amenities
The location is very good and close to the airport, about 10-15 minutes drive. You can get everywhere you need to be in Dubai quickly by taxi.

+ Ambassador Recognition
They recognise InterContinental Gold Ambassador members in this hotel and provide benefits as advertised.

+ Service/Staff at the Pool area
While I find the morning 'scramble' to get a deckchair tiresome and not really something I would expect at an InterContinental property - the staff overseeing them were polite and did their best to get you one if they were all occupied.

The negatives

- Not enough space at the pool deck
While the pool area looks big, it simply is not large enough to accomadate the number of people who want to use its facilities. Therefore it is very crowded at peak times and this lowers the quality of the entire experience. This is a design flaw - they should have made more space here to begin with.

- Small Pool
The pool, while beautiful, is too small to accomadate the number of swimmers, especially if you want to do laps.

- Elevators
I lost track of how many times the elevators caused problems during our stay. You need to insert your key card to go to your floor, but most of the time it doesnt work and you usually have gone past your floor by the time the light goes green. It appears there is some 'trick', inserting it quickly, which I learned, but other guests always had this problem too. Sometimes it didn't work at all and I had to get the keys reset a few times. Annoying - particularly as management must know about this issue.

- Concierge
I visited the concierge once on my stay to ask about reserving a table at an in-hotel bar where I was meeting friends one evening. They appeared to be rather inept and didn't even know if their own bars could do this. After phoning around I was told they don't have this "policy". I wasn't impressed at all.

- Bar food in the Vista Bar
We eat here one evening while having cocktails, which were nice. Unfortunately the crab-cakes (defrosted from the freezer) and sharma (tasteless and unseasoned) were inedible and had to be sent back. Complaint was handled well on the spot.

- Local area in the evening
The mall/marina area is nice to walk around in the day time, but in the evening a lot of teenagers/skateboarders hang around here in large groups. While by no means dangerous or intimidating, I didn't really find it gelled well with the overall atmosphere of the hotel.

Would I stay here again? Yes, I really like this hotel overall despite the few flaws. We were on holiday so it wasn't a big deal (the pool deckchair thing would really annoy me if I was here just for sun), but the service (especially the great Club Lounge) and overall value I found very good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is a new build hotel with excellent facilities. You are a little way out of the main drag of Dubai and you can be kept waiting for a taxi for a bit but that also means that it's nice and quiet - it's not a beach hotel but very handy for Old Dubai, Sheikh Zayed Road and the airport. Only gripe is that it does appear to take a lot of group bookings which can mean rate and occupancy can be a bit out of kilter with the (extensive) competition. Not up to the standard of the Interconti in Amman but solid hotel.

If you want non smoking stay at the Crowne Plaza next door - the only non smoking CP in the world - which is why I stayed at the Intercontinental!

It's close to a very big mall with a good food court and excellent shopping.

I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Low rome are quite quiet because it's on the water but go high - better views!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
MIDLANDS UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

We completed our 60 days epic journey through Asia, Australia, New Zealand by staying at the Intercontinental --- wow --- wow --- wow !!!

It is impossible to find any fault with this property or indeed the wonderful staff. We stayed on the Intercontinental Club Room (Marina View) and it has to be said that the facilities and service in the Club Lounge are up with the very best. Club Lounge provides Buffet Breakfast, Afternoon Tea and Evening Cocktails with Snacks to be enjoyed in wonderful relaxing surroundings. Just a wonderful way to end a truly amazing vacation with many memorable moments. To the management and staff very well done -- keep up the good work !

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

I went for a little minibreak with my partner, and the hotel didn't disappoint. We were very impressed with the helpfulness and efficiency of the staff. The hotel recognised and honoured our loyalty card exactly as promised. Although a little way removed from downtown we found this to be no problem and in fact found the location near a mall and marina both convenient and rather fun in the weekend evenings, as families and friends came out to dine, take a walk and shop. In short, the hotel was not one of those which are suitable exclusively for business trips. The main restaurant Anise works on a buffet basis and we noticed that this was popular with hotel guests and some local businesspeople and leisure users. I am not in general a fan of buffets - often the food looks much better than it tastes - but again, in this respect the offer exceeded my expectations, with choices which ought to satisfy anyone's tastes.

Room Tip: A view of the Creek is the nicer option.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on a brief stopover on our way back home to Singapore. Overall, the hotel is what you would come to expect from an InterContinental property. The local is quite convenient from the airport and though seemingly a distance from downtown Dubai or Old Dubai, taxis are cheap and there is a line of them always waiting for a fare just outside the hotel entrance. The only downside to our stay was the arrival - after a 12 hour overnight flight from JFK we were anxious to drop our bags and relax and specifically requested an early check-in. In addition, I'm a Platinum Priority Club member. Upon arrival, we were told that there were no available rooms but that we would be first in line for a room. They offered us a complimentary breakfast though, which was a nice gesture. Upon checking back in with the front desk 45 minutes later, we were told that the room that was promised to us was no longer an option and that the next room would not be ready for 45 minutes. It ended up taking another hour before we were able to check in to the room and the room we were given had clearly been smoked in. They sprayed the room with a deodorizer to mask the smell and offered to move us later, but by that point we just wanted to be settled.

The facilities are quite nice. Aside from the breakfast buffet the first day, which was amazing, we opted to eat outside of the hotel for other meals. There are, however, numerous restaurants onsite to choose from. The bar on the top floor has a decent view and the prices are not completely outrageous.

Overall, I was satisfied with our stay and would probably opt to stay there again. The only criticism is that they should make a better effort to take care of their Priority Club guests. Other IHG properties include a lot more perks including free internet and automatic upgrades for platinum members, something I was never offered.

1 Thank danmaus