“Treated like a Sheik”
Review of Palace Downtown

Palace Downtown
Ranked #43 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Excellent facility with professional and attentive staff. Good location near the center of city. Extensive breakfast buffet. Well furnished room with all you would expect. Beautiful views of Burge Kahlifah from pool.

Room Tip: Request a Burge view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words that you shared in your review. I am glad to know you had an enjoyable stay with us and our Associates will be thrilled to know how much you appreciated their service and that you felt “like a Sheik”.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

A really good "Arabian Nights" theme of traditional middle eastern architectural styles make the hotel a joy to behold.while still being absolutely modern and well equipped.
The room was spacious and overlooked the fountains so there was the noise of the music a few times each evening but you barely heard it.
We were perfectly happy with both the hotel and staff and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to learn that you were happy with your recent stay with us and enjoyed our Associates’ service as well as the location and surroundings overlooking the fountains.

It was our pleasure to have you as a guest and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed two nights there to experience difference hotel in Dubai, this hotel is not too big compare with al QASR madinat jumeirah, location is perfect just next door to Dubai mall.you can walk down there.
The room is standard size, nothing special like other 5 stars hotel.my room was overlooking the Dubai fountain, when the show starts, I can see clearly from the balcony therefore suggest to stay in the fountain view rather than the pool view.
I didn't try their breakfast because I woke up too late,their swimming pool is quite big. has a nice view too. Valet parking also free of charge.however, their price is similar to al QASR madinat jumeirah, so I prefer to stay at al QASR, at least ,their outdoor area is huge,you have lot of things to do,

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your review following your stay with us. We are glad to know that you liked our location and the views from the room and swimming pool. At the same time we appreciate your thoughts on the hotel in comparison to Al Qasr which is actually a different concept from ours.

Thank you once again and the entire team hopes to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Beautiful hotel facing the Dubai Fountain and opposite the tallest building in the world, the setting of this property is outstanding. It is a pity that the service is not up to the same high standards.

First of all the TV reception was poor in our room and despite repeated phone calls and workmen visits, the problem was not resolved after our 5-day visit. Turn down service was skipped for one day after housekeeping enquired when they should make the visit. One evening, I was woken up by the door bell at 1:30am for a luggage delivery by the porter which had nothing to do with me.

Notwithstanding the above issues, I would still recommend staying at the hotel which is really lovely. The service problem I understand is a common problem in Dubai since most of the hotel workers are non-local and have only been there for a short period of time.

If Dubai is to excel in its tourism industry, they really have to do something about retaining good workers to adopt the city as their new home and to live & work there for the long term.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read from your review that during your stay with us you had enjoyed the location and were pleased with your overall experience despite the TV malfunctions you had faced. We are currently working on a project to improve this product as we are well aware of the necessity to do so.

At the same time I am truly sorry that you did not experience the high quality of service which we try to provide even though all the associates are from so many different countries. We will certainly consider all your comments for further improvement

Thank you again for your feedback and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was there for 3 nights and the way this was sold to me was Oasis on earth, I could see the earth but not the Oasis.

The hotel has a beautiful location, close to the biggest Mall in Dubai, as its in the centre of the city, traveling comes easy.

I was promised the fountain view room, I could only see the glimpse of the fountain, carpets in the room were stained. I'm sorry I need the water gun next to WC not there and bathrooms are small.

Staff is polite but over friendly.

Restaurants are always busy you better make reservations in advance, we were checking out on Saturday, so I asked to meet with the GM for the feedback, as you see his pictures everywhere in the hotel but you cant find him. As per the night manager he is off on Friday and works half days on Saturday.

Pay a bit more and stay in a better property.

Room Tip: Dont Ask for Club rooms they dnt have any !
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ahmed M

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time out to give us your feedback.

It is very regretful to read your review in regards to the room condition and view. It was brought to my attention that out our Director of Rooms met you during your stay to express apologies and rectify the situation by offering a room move however I believe you were not satisfied with the resolution. I am also sorry that I was not able to meet you upon departure but nevertheless was glad to speak to you over the phone when you were back home. I have discussed with the entire team your comments that you shared with me to be looked into for further improvement.

Once again I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you faced during your stay with us and we look forward to being able to welcome you back in the very near future

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Spent at this Hotel four nights, and must say that I was amazed by the location, the property (a resort style Hotel) in the hearth of Dubai's most vibrant spots, only a credit card throw away from the major shopping attractions a the Dubai Mall and on the footsteps on the Burj Al Khalifa. Make sure you don't miss the following:

1) Try the buffet restaurant, there is a good chef for japanese treats
2) Eat at the Thai restaurant, book OUTSIDE on the right handside terrace to enjoy the spectacular fountain and its "sons et lumber" show running at night every 30'.
3) Stay in one of the poolside cabanas and indulge with a shisha pipe while chatting with friends

A special mention goes to the GM, Mr.Sorgenfrey, a very dedicated professional and to all its team.
I would like to mention them all, since everyone has spend full effort to make my stay a most remarkable one; but a special mention goes to Eugene at the SPA, who made my 2 hours waiting time to my dinner a truly relaxing one offering me full experience of the facility and to SVITLANA, one of the best concierge I have ever met. Always smiling and truly attentive to my needs. She made a fantastic research to get me in the best Japanese restaurants in town and made me feel a truly important guest.

Way to go! I hope to have again the chance to stay in this property soon.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your extensive and very positive feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

We truly appreciate you commending our restaurants and we are very glad that you were delighted with the service from our associates while even mentioning Eugene and Svitlana who have been thrilled about your note.

The entire Palace Team hopes that we would be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were thoroughly impressed with this hotel! We stayed here for 6 nights over the Christmas period in December 2012.

The positives:
- Our room was beautiful, we were given a complimentary upgrade to a suite which faced the lake. The room was very well appointed - a blend of modern and Arabic design, with all of the little luxuries.
- The hotel's entrance and lobby is gorgeous - from the moment you step in you are greeted by the scent of sandalwood. They were serving guests with complementary Arabic coffee and dates - such a nice little touch :)
- The service was impeccable. Nothing was too much to ask for at all! The concierge in particular was great, we were looking for a table for 6 on Christmas Eve at any of the restaurants overlooking the Burj Khalifa fountains - a pretty tough ask - and the lovely concierge rang every single restaurant in the area to find us a table with a view. He did the same when we asked him to arrange a desert safari! Very helpful indeed.
- The breakfast was the best I have ever had at any hotel, and I have travelled a LOT! There was seriously enough of a choice for me to have had 10 full different types of meal each day if I wanted to (but I didn't, I got addicted to the Lebanese cheese spreads on the first day and couldn't go past them since...!).
- The pool area was beautiful
- Great location! Right next to the Dubai Mall and Souk Al Bahar, across from the Burj Khalifa (with amazing views of the Burj and the fountains), and not too far from Bur Dubai or Jumeirah either for that matter!

The only thing I could fault this hotel on is their policy to charge visitors 150AED for use of the pool area, even if they are not swimming. On Christmas day, we had a lazy lunch with family in one of the pavilions by the pool, relaxing with delicious Arabic food and sheesha, and invited over 3 family members who were not staying at the hotel. The hotel insisted on charging us 450AED (USD125) because they were using the pool area, even though none of them actually went for a swim - and despite the fact that we spent over 1000AED on food at lunch! The pool attendant came over swiftly after our guests arrived to ask whether they were guests of the hotel, then immediately brought over a bill for 450AED. We didn't want to embarrass our guests or ruin our moods and therefore we signed off on the bill. We were a bit irritated by this, but to our very pleasant surprise when we checked out and expressed that we were unhappy about this charge, management waived it - an example of great customer service (albeit stemming from a ridiculous policy)!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank nooree

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Trip Advisor.

We are truly delighted to know that you had enjoyed your stay while describing in details the ambiance, location and service from our associates. Your extensive comments are much appreciated and have been shared with the entire team. It is a great motivation for them to continue and keep up the good work. At the same time I regret to read about the charges at the pool which afterwards were well taken care of by our Front Office team.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.