We were thoroughly impressed with this hotel! We stayed here for 6 nights over the Christmas period in December 2012.
- Our room was beautiful, we were given a complimentary upgrade to a suite which faced the lake. The room was very well appointed - a blend of modern and Arabic design, with all of the little luxuries.
- The hotel's entrance and lobby is gorgeous - from the moment you step in you are greeted by the scent of sandalwood. They were serving guests with complementary Arabic coffee and dates - such a nice little touch :)
- The service was impeccable. Nothing was too much to ask for at all! The concierge in particular was great, we were looking for a table for 6 on Christmas Eve at any of the restaurants overlooking the Burj Khalifa fountains - a pretty tough ask - and the lovely concierge rang every single restaurant in the area to find us a table with a view. He did the same when we asked him to arrange a desert safari! Very helpful indeed.
- The breakfast was the best I have ever had at any hotel, and I have travelled a LOT! There was seriously enough of a choice for me to have had 10 full different types of meal each day if I wanted to (but I didn't, I got addicted to the Lebanese cheese spreads on the first day and couldn't go past them since...!).
- The pool area was beautiful
- Great location! Right next to the Dubai Mall and Souk Al Bahar, across from the Burj Khalifa (with amazing views of the Burj and the fountains), and not too far from Bur Dubai or Jumeirah either for that matter!
The only thing I could fault this hotel on is their policy to charge visitors 150AED for use of the pool area, even if they are not swimming. On Christmas day, we had a lazy lunch with family in one of the pavilions by the pool, relaxing with delicious Arabic food and sheesha, and invited over 3 family members who were not staying at the hotel. The hotel insisted on charging us 450AED (USD125) because they were using the pool area, even though none of them actually went for a swim - and despite the fact that we spent over 1000AED on food at lunch! The pool attendant came over swiftly after our guests arrived to ask whether they were guests of the hotel, then immediately brought over a bill for 450AED. We didn't want to embarrass our guests or ruin our moods and therefore we signed off on the bill. We were a bit irritated by this, but to our very pleasant surprise when we checked out and expressed that we were unhappy about this charge, management waived it - an example of great customer service (albeit stemming from a ridiculous policy)!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palace, built on the edge of a lake, is a harmonious blend of the past and present of Dubai with 242 guest rooms and suites boasting a captivating Middle Eastern theme. The luxury hotel hosts an array of international restaurants featuring fine cuisine, a breathtaking luxury spa, recreational facilities, a large pool and a comprehensive business center. It is ideally located near the Dubai World Trade Center, several major business institutions, shopping malls and tourist attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Palace Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palace The Old Town Hotel Dubai
- The Palace Old Town
- Palace The Old Town Dubai
- Sofitel Dubai