“An enjoyable Friday brunch at the Palace” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Palace Downtown Dubai

The Palace Downtown Dubai
Ranked #19 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“An enjoyable Friday brunch at the Palace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Friday brunch is a weekend tradition for many expats and tourists who live in or vist Dubai. As a regular bruncher I have experienced many of the Hotels and enjoyed 90% of them. However I must say that my first brunch at The Palace was surprisingly better than I thought it would be.
The setting and ambience was always going to be good simply because of the high standard of the Hotel, but what made it extra special was the excellent service provided by the waiters and food servers and the sheer selection of food available.
Brunches are made or broken by the attitude and speed of the waiters; is service is slow it can be quite annoying, especially if you're paying a lot of money. No need to worry here. They were superb, speedy and polite. They deserved their tip at the end.
The food at brunches is always good but there were many different things to choose from that aren't usually offered at others I've been to. A quite fantastic seafood selection too.
Another difference was that the drinks included everything that was on their normal menu rather than selected beers which is the norm.
If you live in Dubai I recommend you try this one. Well worth the money at AED390 for a high end brunch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MarkForrester
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at The Palace Downtown Dubai, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your your kind review about the Brunch experience at our Ewaan restaurant. Your feedback has been shared with the entire team who is truly delighted to see that through the superb service that they delivered to you in addition to the good food, the value and the quality of the entire Brunch exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back here for another Brunch or maybe even to experience our other restaurants as well.

Michael Sorgenfrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband had arranged for a little birthday surprise for me this Jan. He booked us a room at The Palace Downtown Dubai, arranged for a couple's spa treatment and lots of shopping the next day at the adjacent Dubai Mall. Since we only had the weekend, this was intended to be a short 1 night stay. The purpose was also to watch unlimited fountain shows hence we took up a deluxe room, fountain view.

We drove to Dubai and arrived only at about 3.30pm. I was instantly disappointed when I saw the dimly lit lobby, pretty congested due to a wedding function. We were escorted to the couches and drinks were served almost immediately. However, the check in formality took ages, and I must say the receptionist handling our check in was not overtly approachable and she tends to have this forced smile or not smiling at all. She was too task-focused that she didn't like to engage in conversation much. She casually mentioned that our room was not ready, hence we may have to wait awhile longer. I was very discouraged by this as I assumed that since we've arrived way past the standard check in time, we could just dash into the room and enjoy the last bit of the day in the hotel. We waited for another 20mins before being given a key. The same receptionist was about to lead us to our room, when a concierge offered to do so on behalf. He was very cheerful and helpful. He made us feel welcome and this was a good start to our stay.

He then led us to a suite room, we were surprised as we thought that we have booked a Deluxe room instead. The arrangement for the upgrade was made in such a subtle way, it was really a pleasant surprise. My initial feeling of being disappointed was wiped away instantly.

The moment we arrived our room, the entire experience started to change from good to great. The room was spacious, luxuriously furnished and has an amazing view of Burj Khalifa, the lake and the fountain. It also overlooks the hotel's main pool. This is by far the cleanest hotel we've stayed in, evidenced through spotless bathroom tiles and appliances. The decor is a combination of Arabian charm with modern technology. The hotel was very generous with its Penhaligons' toiletries, chocolate selections and we were even pampered with a special towel arrangement of rose petals on the bed.

We both had spa treatments for 80mins, (quite costly), but the therapists made the experience worthwhile. They even prepared a surprise birthday cake for me.

When night fell, we spent the entire evening watching the spectacular fountain from our room balcony. We even ordered room service and had the food at the balcony. There was an amazing light show in addition to the fountain show every half and hour.

All in all, even though we've had a short experience in this hotel, we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. We will surely come back again. Thank you for the subtle but unlimited surprises which made my birthday a day to remember forever.

2 Thank AndreasWiegand
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your detailed review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

We are very sorry to see that your arrival experience was not up to your expectations and you did not feel welcome. At the same time I was truly delighted to read how much you enjoyed the rest of your stay with the upgrade, the fountain view, the spa treatment, complimentary cake and all the other facilities which made your stay memorable.

Thank you once again and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the very near future even maybe for your next birthday.

vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel is in a good location and right next to Souk-Al-Bahar, Dubai Mall, Dubai Fountain, and Burj Khalifa. Hotel decor was generally good but we found that the hotel room and the staff attitude to be short of a world class hotel and it was really expensive for what we actually got.

The plus were the location, free Wifi, beautiful decor.

Here are some of the shortcomings:

1) The pool area is infested with flies. It was really annoying as the flies would come sit on your body while you are taking a sun-nap. The staff is aware of the problem but didnt do much about it.

2) We were on our honeymoon and were hoping that the hotel could make it special, but no effort was taken. My friends told me that when they were on their honeymoon, the hotel they went to, gave them a nice cake, and the room had special decorations etc

3) The staff doesn't tend to acknowledge women, at least when the husband is with them. For example, if we met the staff in the hallway, they only greeted me (husband) and my wife was completely ignored. Is this just a Middle-Eastern culture thing?

4) We had couple of other issues with our stay which was six days. I guess if you stayed in a hotel long enough, the odds of a perfect stay drop down significantly. Anyways, we mentioned our issues to the front desk staff during checkout in hopes that we may get some compensation, but we were completely baffled by their apathy. They didn't seem one bit concerned and basically processed us out ASAP. We repeatedly informed them that we don't intend to come back but nobody seemed to care.

I would recommend that people find another hotel in this area as the expensive room prices are not worth the value. In retrospect, we should have done hotel-hopping and not stayed in this hotel for more than 2 days, and maybe my review then would have been more positive.

Room Tip: Pick a room with fountain view or if on ground floor, get a room near the pool/amenities to reduce y...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Rahul_and_Eshrat
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at The Palace Downtown Dubai, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the shortfall in service standards during your visit regarding the greetings from our Associates, the name not being used correctly and that you did not feel the care while sharing your concerns with us. I also regret to know that no amenities were provided in the room as you were on honeymoon and certainly you were entitled for special set up and cake. We truly appreciate your valid comments and we will certainly look into it to enhance our guests’ experience.

I apologize once again and I hope you will honor us with an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I would love to share my experiences at The Palace in Dubai.
My trip to Dubai consisted of staying in different hotels and experiencing the different restaurants, malls and activities. Of the hotels I stayed at, The Palace was most definitely one of the top hotels I stayed at during my trip. As soon as you pull into the entrance, it made you feel like you were royalty. The driveway leading up to the hotel was very grand and it gave you the sense that you were a Saudi Arabian prince or king. Upon arriving to the front door, there were many staff to help with luggage. As you walk in, the first thing that hits you is an extremely soothing and relaxing aroma which smells absolutely amazing!!! I wound up buying a bottle of this air scent for $100. Upon entering, you turn right to the front desk and immediately we were escorted to the lounge and was greeted with a hot towel and a exotic juice drink which tasted incredible. The staff asked for my passport and it was very quick for her to get us our keys to the room. As we walked around the hotel ground, the decor is very classy and extremely clean. The rooms were big enough. Again, very clean interiors, comfortable beds, very modern bathrooms and we had a balcony looking over at Burj Khalifa Lake. The buffet downstairs is absolutely incredible. The foods were extremely fresh with many different varieties. The views of the lake are beautiful and relaxing.
I had one minor incident involving a pool attendant that was resolved by a Ms. Hasna Gass. She was eloquent, well spoken, articulate and professional. Extremely classy individual. I wanted to leave to another hotel and she assured me that the rest of my stay would be without difficulty and trouble. She certainly kept her word. I believe that it is the staff members that make a resort or hotel remarkable, enjoyable and memorable. Ms. Gass definitely is that staff member who will make your trip memorable. She is a true asset to the company. I have traveled to many resorts around the world and stayed in many 5 star hotels. This hotel is definitely a 5 star resort, not because of the name The Palace but because of individuals such as Ms. Gass.
I can stay at Armani in Burj Khalifa or other nearby hotels but this hotel is very unique filled with a lot of class and elegance. I will definitely come back and stay with them when I return to Dubai!

Matthew Loh

Room Tip: Ask Ms. Gass or any other staff member which view is good. I stayed in a room with a view of the lak...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Matt L
Dear Guest,

It is an absolute pleasure to read your feedback and how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very thankful for the time you spend on sharing your thoughts with us which gives the opportunity to optimize our services and to find out more about our individual associates such as Ms. Hasna who is a real asset for the hotel. I am truly happy to see how much you appreciated the service from Ms. Hasna and she really deserves a ‘special’ recognition as she went an extra mile while convincing you to stay with us. We are very happy to have her in our Front Office team and certainly consider her as our future talent within the company.

I would like to thank you once again for your extended feedback and on behalf of the entire team we look forward to welcoming you back here at The Palace.

riyadh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is its location, just a 5 minute walk to Dubai mall. The hotel entrance is magnificent and the pool area is really nice. The lobby can be crowded at times which was ok with us. The reception and check-in & check-out process was smooth.The rooms were quite good and we had no issues with the service.

I would put on the same standard as the Address Downtown, but with a completely different design and style.

3 Thank Rakan A
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at The Palace Downtown Dubai, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor.

We are truly delighted to know that you had enjoyed your stay and were pleased with the hotel proximity to Dubai Mall, the service as well as the room.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I Spent another wonderful 4 days at the Palace in early December. I booked a Junior Suite and although it was slightly smaller than the last Junior suite I stayed in it was lovely and we had a partial view of the Dubai Foutain which was fun.
There were 2 functions by the pool while we stayed at the Hotel which meant the pool was closed but as we were not using it it did not bother us and alternative arrangements at a sister hotel were provided.
One of the functions was an Indian wedding which was loud but it did not bother us too much and my daughter enjoyed a quick peak through the lobby windows at the indian dancing and we enjoyed it, However I did feel that had I had a room closer to the function and had I needed to sleep it would have been a disturbance.

The service was excellent as usual. The room was clean and lovely, the bed is probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in.
The staff is so courteous and helpful and even though the hotel seemed to be at full capacity the stress levels of the staff were well disguised even at the busiest of times.
I have to say that of all the hotels in Dubai (I have stayed in most of the 5 star ones) I always return to the palace. It is a cocoon of peace and tranquility in the most busy and central location.
I love The Palace Old Town and I will be back.
R.Wild

Room Tip: The rooms with fountain view are lovely but you hear the fountain so this could disturb people who l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JetsetZurich
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Being one of our regular and loyal guests, we are truly delighted to know that you had once again enjoyed your stay with us and were extremely pleased with the service of our Associates. I am glad to know that even though we had the few events held in the hotel you did not face any inconvenience as we try as much as possible to make all our guests comfortable.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Beautifully appointed with exquisite interiors, a great pool with cabanas, fountains, some fantastic restaurants. Well positioned, shoirt walk to the Dubai Mall, yet secluded and private. The rooms are spacious and beautiful - loved the Nespresso touch and use of Penhaligons toileteries. I arrived in Dubai at an ugodly hour and checked in at another hotel which had been booked for me - one belonging to a big US chain ... say no more. It was in a suburb miles away from anywhere, the hotel room was shabby, in desperate need of rfenovation and I simply didnt want this to be my abode in Dubai. I remembered a friend mentioned the Palace so I booked it and managed to get out of this hotel penalty free, took a cab to the Palace and entered an enchanted world. Enjoyed every minute of my stay there - in fact it was so relaxing, at one point I walked over to the busy mall... ten minutes away , but returned to the sanctuary soon after.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HKFrequentFlyer
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to learn that you had a very relaxing stay with us and are happy that you got to enjoy Dubai after choosing our hotel following your friend’s recommendation.

Thank you again for your kind words and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.