“Arabian ambience.”

Ranked #35 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Sydney, Australia
“Arabian ambience.”
Reviewed December 17, 2011

What a fantastic stay Ihave had here at The Palace The Old Town with my 9 year old son. From the moment we arrived up to the moment we left we have been surrounded by gracious staff and beautiful Arabian architecture. The lobby is tastfully designed-with relaxing Arabic music in the background, cosy yet authentic Arabian furniture, Moroccan styled lamps and the scent of incense. You immediately feel you have been transported to the old Arabia. The hotel rooms are generous in size with either a fountain view or lake view. We chose the lake view and it was lovely to sit on the balcony after a full day of sightseeing and relax. Breakfast by the pool was a pleasure every morning. The staff were attentive and cared enough to remember your specific requests. They were personal without being intrusive. The hotel is a short stroll through the adjacent Souk Al Bahar to the Dubai Mall. Through the Souk you have easy access to loads of restaurants that are strategically placed around the lake so you can see the Fountain Show. There is no need to catch a taxi anywhere as most things are on your doorstep. Designer shops, banks, the Burj Khalifa, restaurants, a gold souk and more. I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel. I plan to return to stay again next year with all my family. Thank you to all the Palace staff for making this trip with my son a truly memorable occasion.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Roloush

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Their website has fantastic photos that accurately describe the hotel's environment. I arrived later in the evening and had no difficulties with check-in; likewise with early check-out and no difficulties.

The room was well appointed & well equipped and the bed was luxurious and comfortable. I used the free internet with no difficulty-they provided an adapter. This room was on the canal with a part-view from the balcony of the Burj Khalifa, and the Dubai Fountains (& their spectacular music/water show nightly 7-11PM).

The staff were friendly and attentive, especially the concierge, who was very helpful to secure restaurant & spa reservations. The spa facility was also well appointed & well equipped and rates were consistent with similar services back home. Professional staff met all needs, as requested. All areas of the hotel were spotlessly clean.

Only a few minor items were missed by the cleaning staff during the 10 days that I was there-the 'real' white rose wilted in 4 days and was not automatically replaced, the milk for complimentary coffee in the room was not replaced on one occasion and the nail clippers that they lost during their routine daily clean were not found/replaced, as requested.

The buffet breakfast was extensive with both local and 'western' fare and the staff accommodated every request, whether for seating arrangements or food-related.

Although taxis are very reasonable forms of transportation, the bus stop for the shuttle to the 'Dubai Mall' metro station is at the front driveway entrance of the hotel.

Room Tip: When booking a reservation, consider a package that includes breakfast, as the cost for breakfast is...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Anne M
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Couldn't fault this hotel.
The room was lovely ,it had everything you could possibly have wanted, and very quiet.The breakfast buffet was very extensive and an experience to walk round and see what you could get.
The staff were very helpful without being in your face all the time, the food was also excellent and a variety of places to eat but you needed to book as the popular times were all taken.
Would definitely visit again

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Basel
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We normally stay once a year in Dubai. Therefore we visited different hotels there.
In the Palace Hotel we stayed the third time, however this time we were not satisified at all. Why?

We arrived after midnight in the hotel. We booked two deluxe rooms connected doors, non smoking (one with two double beds, the other with a King size bed). We got smoking rooms, not connected and with King size beds. The most curious thing was that the hotel promised as to have these rooms as requested until we had a look at our rooms. It seems that they have no ideas about the rooms...
Anyway we stayed in the room and we accepted that the rooms will be exchanged the other day. However we stayed the next 2 days there, as they were not able to give us other rooms. We just got different explanations and excusions.

The first day we were at the Pool. We saw that there is no shade at the Pool, so we ask to get an umbrella. However they told us, that the only have cabanas (which are not that comfortable than the chairs) otherwise we have to stay in the sun. I think that should not happen in a ***** Hotel.
At the end of the say one of the lifeguard at the Pool told us that the Pool will be closed the next day. They will have a private party.
So we went to the hotel recepetion. They told us that it unfortunately the ppol is closed. After having some discussions they promised us that we could go to pool of the Address Hotel. I can accept that private parties are quite common in UAE however at least the guests have to be informed accordingly.

In the evening we found out that not all restaurants are open due to a private party as well. No information at all.

After 2 days staying in the Palace we had some discussions with the Management of the Address Hotel. We could change to this hotel and got a nice room.

For the future I recommend not staying in Palace. However the restaurants especially Ewaans is quite nice and worth to visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Bet T
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2011

incredibly positive experience all around. we arrived 6 hours befor check in, but only had to wait 1 hour for our room. we loved the casual dining poolside/lakeside every evening. it is expensive, but every now and then, I figure we're worth it. the route F13 bus to the metro station stops out front. the burj khalifa filling the sky, the private viewing area for the fountains on the 4th floor, the dubai mall, what more could anyone ask for? we'll stay here next time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Myself and my husband stayed at The Palace for a week in October. We knew we were in for something special as our taxi pulled up into the drive to the hotel! Absolutely stunning and it got better when we stepped into the hotel, such a beautiful lobby and the flowery smell when you enter is gorgeous. We booked a Diplomatic Suite and had requested views of the Burj but were told on arrival that the room we booked did not have views of the Burj but as it was our honeymoon they would move us to a room with views of it. After a little wait in reception while our room was made up, we were taken up by the lovely Dinesh to our room and we were in awe!! Absolutely stunning room (massive!) with unobstructed views of the Burj from the balconies and partial views of the dancing fountains as well! I could watch those fountains all day everyday, so amazing!

The Diplomatic Suite (room 555) had a large living room area with a little kitchen (sink, tea/coffee facilities and an empty fridge which was great as we would buy drinks from Spinneys in the Souk next door and keep them in the fridge) There was a small toilet just off the living area (I say small it was bigger than our bathroom at home!) The bedroom was very large as well with the biggest bed I'd ever seen! I can honestly say I had the best sleep ever that week! The bathroom is beautifully decorated with 2 sinks, walk in shower and large tub and another toilet.
We left the hotel to explore that evening and came back to the bedroom and bathroom adorned with rose petals and towel hearts and swans!! Also a complimentary bottle of sparkling date juice on ice and a delicious honeymoon cake...it just got better and better!

Breakfast at The Palace was probably one of the best hotel breakfast's we've had. We loved sitting outside in the cabanas and filled up on whatever we could fit on our plates from the endless array of breakfast dishes!

Do have drinks by the Pool in the evening, I had a drink made just for me by the staff one night as I wanted a non alcoholic cocktail and did they deliver!! Even went the next day and they were happy to make it again for me :)
We also had drinks at Fai which was great. One of the staff in Fai told us the fountains had started and let me and my husband go into Thiptara (Thai restaurant) so that we could have a brilliant view of the fountains!

The location of the hotel is perfect if you want to be 15 minutes from pretty much everywhere! The walk to the Dubai Mall was only 5/10mins and you could take a short cut through the Souk Al Bahar which was next to the hotel. There's also a smaller souk across the road in the Al Manzil district.
The staff at The Palace are one of a kind, they made sure our stay was perfect and it truly was. I wish I could remember everyone's names because you were all so great but a special thanks to Miki at the Concierge desk and Dinesh, William and Rosario for always going out of their way to say and hello and ask us about our stay and how we were.

We've agreed that when we do go back to Dubai, The Palace is the only place we will ever stay in.

Thank you all for making our trip so special. Mr & Mrs S

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing Burj/fountains
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ShaliS83
Spencer W, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Dear ShaliS83,

Thank you for choosing the Palace for your wonderful occasion and congratulations.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

We are honored to have played a small part in creating a memory that will last a lifetime. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and providing us with a wonderful responce. Thank you as well for recognizing my team individually, know I will recognize them for their efforts. I would agree, the Palace is a very special place and the team is who really brings the place to life.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary and wish you and you new family al the best in a wonderful healthy future.

Best,

Spencer
Singapore
Reviewed November 14, 2011

When you are paying AED2100 / USD 575 per night for a standard room you have the right to hold the property to a higher standard than you would a similar hotel at half the price. Unfortunately, despite charging huge fees over the Dubai airshow weekend, the management of The Palace seem intent on further gouging their customers the moment they have checked in. The whole ethos of the property seems to be to suck their customers dry. Service for anything comes at a price, usually a high one, and is delivered by immaculately dressed staff in unusual costumes, who seem to possess very little training or knowledge, however.

I wanted to post a single sheet of paper to the UK in an envelope and was told it cost AED15 (nearly five dollars!). I protested and said that there was no way a single letter could cost that much by regular mail. Two hours later the conceirge said he had made a mistake and it was really AED6. The receptionist, who was lacking in absolutely any initiative whatsoever, had earlier called me twice on my foreign mobile phone to ask me what I wanted to do with the letter, which I had handed to her saying "please post this and charge my room 118".

Despite the boutique status of the hotel there is rarely more than one receptionist on duty, so I had to wait to check in. When I asked about tennis courts I was told simply "talk to the concierge".

The hotel has beautiful furniture and fittings in the style of an Arabic palace.The scent of incense wafts through the corridor, and the room was large and comfortable with a very soft bed and rain style shower. However, charging AED 48 to press a two piece suit is just greedy. If you want a protein shake in the gym, you find the gym mini fridge locked before 9am, despite the fact that the management have installed a camera especially pointing at it to see anyone who does try to sample one of their AED35 tetrapacks. Either install the camera, or lock the fridge, but to do both is plain silly.

The lighting in the room is dim. The turndown service offers only rosepetals, not chocolates, and that sums up the ethos of this elegant but ultimately fake establishment. If you want to play tennis, bad luck, as the hotel has no court despite its alleged five star status, but you can pay AED160 for an hour at the Al Murooj Rotana nearby, plus a taxi fare there. The conceirge did an excellent job of arranging that and I thank him. That hotel has 3 good courts with floodlights, but they are available only after 9am - despite the fact that early morning is the coolest and most pleasant time to play.

The Palace Hotel has many restaurants, and the food offering was good in terms of quality, especially breakfast, which has a huge selection. Meals were expensive (breakfast for one is AED115), as you'd expect, and the service at the Thai was decidedly flakey with a lack of English language skills among some of the staff. AED 90+ for a small portion of green chicken curry with no rice is indicative of the pricing there. The Thai is surrounded by bowls of flames in a melodramatic manner.

If money is no object and you you can happily blow a thousand dollars a night on a room and dinner available in other regional hotels of almost identical design and standard, then by all means stay at The Palace. But if you are looking for anything resembling value, look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank George H
Spencer W, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear TheHorseys,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the Air Show in Dubai.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am very disappointed by your review and take all your comments very seriously. Please know that we have no intention of gouging our guests as you state, but I also understand where your perception comes from. Our staff works tirelessly to ensure the best in service for our guests, yet it seems we failed in your case, my apology. I only wish you could have asked for me during your stay so I could address the situation immediately.

Please know that I will reach out to you directly as well with a point of contact so I can apologize personally. I will share with my team and address your points individually.

Please know that we are very focused on guest service and providing value for our guests. I will ensure we stay true to that.

I hope that we can welcome you again in the future and wish you the best.

Spencer