“Top Ten- here we come?”
Review of Manzil Downtown

Manzil Downtown
Ranked #23 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Let me first say I will definitely stay at Al Manzil again whenever we go through Dubai.

I booked a pre-paid Burj Khalifa view suite for 3 nights many months prior to our visit which included airport transfers and breakfast. We arrived at Dubai airport from Moscow, tired and apprehensive as we had not heard from the hotel since we booked and wondered whether we would have to get a taxi.

My fears were soon alleviated when we saw our name being held up in the long line of waiting representatives as soon as you go right to the end of the terminal exit. The friendly turbaned face welcomed us to Dubai and passed us onto driver Paul who helped carry our luggage to a nearby waiting air conditioned car and as soon as we were seated in the back pulled out 2 cold bottles of water from an esky in the boot! Thanks Paul.

This reflected the attitude of the Al Manzil staff for the rest of our stay to the extent it became rather embarrassing (but not for my darling wife) as I am not used to such attention. From the airport to the hotel took us only 15 minutes (although I would allow 30 mins for departure) and after checking in we were shown to the impressive suite with THE VIEW. We were pleased - however - I know some-one has to have the lowest level Mr Viard but when we come back can we have one a little higher?

After asking for an ironing board, some more coat hangers and an extra pillow they were promptly delivered within minutes.

EATING. I cannot really fault anything much about the remainder of the hotel. There is an extensive breakfast with an ample selection of local fresh dates, fruit, cereals and a hot buffet starting at 6.30 am and 3 choices of areas to eat at other times as well as 24 hr room service.

Amongst the hotel eating spots was an Aussie/Kiwi style bar and grill where you could easily be Back O’ Bourke looking for a schooner of cold Fosters. But I must admit when in Rome I like to do what the Romans do so we chose the Courtyard and were not disappointed. Don’t let the little alcoves with people sucking on their bubbling shishas put you off - you can get a non smoking area. We thoroughly enjoyed a sumptuous meal of lamb kebabs presented on flat bread with caramelised onions and salad served with fresh lemonade (she) and vegetable soup followed by a whole roasted baby chicken stuffed with oriental spices and herbs on flat bread with fresh vegetables served with a cold beer (he) – all for 300 AED including tip.

LOCAL AREA. The suite was just great to veg out in after the Moscow traffic but when you care to venture out you can easily walk down to the Dubai Mall (see night picture) or if it is too hot for you the hotel has a shuttle OR you can cross the road and enter the Souk Al Bahar to the left of the Palace Hotel, wind your way through the bazaars to stand on the Burj Khalifa bridge and watch the fountain display (check times). We found this was also the best way to the Dubai Mall rather than turning right down the road and heading for the Dubai Mall sign.

If you cannot find what you want in the Dubai Mall there is always the Mall of the Emirates and this will give you an opportunity to try out the excellent metro. However the metro station is a fair walk from the Dubai Mall so we took a taxi to the Mall of the Emirates and took the metro from there where it is right next to that mall back to Burj Khalifa and walked home to the hotel from there. And if the hotels two pools and adjacent complimentary fitness gym do not satisfy your desire for exercise, there is always the shuttle to the beach.

A LAST WORD. The Al Manzil exceeded my expectations in most areas with a couple of niggling exceptions. Our bathroom suite glass door hinge made an alarming loud crack every time you opened it and on our departure the breakfast staff could only rustle up a half cup of cold coffee by 6.50 am. Perhaps slightly less fawning words Mr Viard and a little more attention to detail and I am positive that you can get into the Trip Advisors top ten. But don’t worry, I would not consider staying anywhere else in Dubai from now on.

Room Tip: Pay for suite in advance
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stefan V, General Manager at Manzil Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear globetrotterfromoz,
Thank you for your candid feedback, it is much appreciated and I will happily relate your high praise for my team back to them. If we have the pleasure of having you stay with us again then please do request a room on a higher floor and we will do our best to make sure you get an even better view. Also, for your next visit, please do note that our shuttle service goes to the Mall of the Emirates as well.
I am very sorry to hear about the cold coffee and I assure you that this will be looked into.
Thanks again for all your suggestions and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Stefan Viard

Write a ReviewReviews (2,297)

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed for two nights in early September on route from UK to Australia and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. It was spotlessly clean, well appointed and the food was excellent. Situated in a nice area of medium sized buildings, its only a five to 10 minute walk from the Burj Khalifa and the Dubai Mall. Great location. All the staff we came into contact with were always polite, attentive and helpful. They seemed to enjoy working there as a good team and that obviously reflects on guests. We arrived and departed at awkward times but Robert checked us in and was very helpful. He also arranged for us to have hotel vehicle to take us on a sightseeing trip of Dubai and our driver Imitaz was very considerate and pleasant. Only regret our visit was short and would automatically stay there if we went to Dubai again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stefan V, General Manager at Manzil Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear GandBUk,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your short stay so much and will proudly pass on your praise to Robert, Imtiaz and the rest of the team.
We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for a longer visit in the near future.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a small / medium hotel in a great location for visiting the Dubai Mall, the famous fountains and the Burj Al Khalifa all are literally in walking distance even when its as hot as it gets in Dubai.

It is clean, modern and well kept with a coffee shop and a small but nice pool. The rooms are a little small, but some very tasteful and clever interior design makes up for it. Surprisingly the bathroom was in the middle of the room. I know it sounds weird, but its true. What's more it works well even when sharing with children, very imaginative and something that really has to be seen to be appreciated.

The outstanding feature of this hotel is for my money is the staff. Brilliant, so friendly and attentive that it was initially a little disconcerting. This is a hotel that has set really high standards for itself and is making a serious effort to achieve them. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Try for a room at the front of the hotel, you can get great view of the Burj Al Khalifa.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Tomh173,
Your kind words about the service you have received from my team at Al Manzil Hotel makes me very proud and I will gladly share your feedback with them. I am pleased to hear that you found our room layout, location and facilities to your liking.
We do hope that you and your family will be visiting us again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We arrived at 6am after a red-eye from Rome. We were processed immediately and given our room - despite check in being officially 3pm. We were so grateful to sink into their cloud-soft beds and get some sleep.
The room is unusual - an open plan bathroom with a bath enclosed by three glass walls. Great if you're a couple, but we're friends and not particularly interested in seeing each other in the tub :)
Minor issue though. The open plan bathroom works as one can be in the shower while the other uses the basin, so good in that respect. The room was quiet - no street noise and no corridor noise either.
Breakfast was outstanding - cooked to order eggs, overwhelming choices and all so fresh.
The foyer is just stunning. They use scented oils which waft around the room, creating an atmosphere so relaxing you could fall asleep in one of their comfortable, plush chairs.

The service from the staff was unbelievable. I can't praise them more highly, especially the wonderful young man who courteously phoned our room when we had slept through our alarm and got us onto our plane home to Sydney with the minimum of fuss.

Location is great. Across the road from the Dubai Mall - a 20 dirham cab fare. The American style bar at the back is also great for a drink after a long day shopping or visiting the Souks.

Stay here. This place is special.
I want to know where they get their sheets - can you ship me some to Australia? They are perfect.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Kathy W,
Thank you for taking the time to review Al Manzil Hotel, I will proudly share your kind feedback with my team. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the bed, breakfast and ambience of the hotel. The next time you visit you should take advantage of the shuttle service available to The Dubai Mall (and other key attractions within the city) at convenient timings, eliminating the need to spend money on cab fare.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Al Manzil hotel is part of the Old town Burj area which is also a residential neighborhod of medium size buildings, more like a holiday complex. The hotel is not very big with a small lobby, a little coffee shop on the side and a very pleasant indoor garden where people who like that can smoke shisha. There is also a pub so you can have a beer there. When you pass this courtyard you enter a shopping arcade which used to be pleasant and lively two years ago but I was astonished to see that almost all the shops have closed down, with big boards on their windows claiming; "Opening soon". When I walked there it was the evening and I found the place very dark and a little spooky. There is still an Italian restaurant, which was very good but I didn't try it again this time, a Spinneys grocerie, a ladies and gents (good) hairdresser and a place for mani/pedi (expensive for Dubai with a pedi at 125 dirhams). At the corner of al Manzil hotel there is a nice brasserie type of restaurant called "Boulevard" with a pretty terrace from where you have a beautiful view of Burj Khalifa and The Address hotel. From there you can walk easily to Dubai mall which is convenient but you will need to cross a busy road (there are traffic lights so it is safe).

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jeanne70
Stefan V, General Manager at Manzil Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Jeanne70,

thank you for taking the time to review Al Manzil Hotel, we value your feedback. I am happy to hear that you appreciated our range of dining options and the views of Burj Khalifa from our Boulevard Café. The proximity of Dubai Mall is a great asset to the hotel and I am glad that you found it to be convenient. In the event that we have the pleasure to host you again I would like to bring to your attention that we do have a shuttle service that drops hotel guests at The Dubai Mall entrance (and other key attractions within the city) at convenient timings, eliminating the need to cross the busy road.
Looking forward to welcoming you back,
Kind regards

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located 3mins from the dancing fountain, 5mins from the tallest building in the world and the all mighty dubai mall for all your shopping needs.
Thier breakfast is superb but a little pricey, rooms are spacious, the metro is 10mins walk away
I really enjoyed ma time there
Would recommend to friends and family

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Dear readers,

We have been there for a couple of days in the 1st week of October for our honeymoon, after being to the Seychelles. This hotel is centrally based, right in front of the Burj al Khalifa, next to the Address hotel (go to Neos Cocktail bar, top floor) and 5 min from the fountains (must see show! every 30 min in the evening till 11pm.).

The hotel Al Manzil is very romantic, the people and facilities are extremely modern and high tech, however, the ambiance and food is rustic and romantic. You feel like pampered when you see the bomboniere corner with different teas, the American Footbal cafe when you just want to hang out and drink a beer and escape from the heath. There is also a courtyard, with a Lebanese in-house restaurant, accesible for non hotel guests as well, but hotel guests are 'preferred' guests.

Breakfast is wonderful, just wonderful! You are in for a treat! Dont forget the smoothies and deserts.

As for the room, we were kinda upgraded to a nice suite, since we were on a honeymoon and all. This suite had a nice view of the Burj al Khalifa. Btw it was room 409.
I liked that they were very smart about using the space so effectively. The shower and toilet are separated from the bedroom by a milky glass door, but it actually was just one big room. The bed and bathroom is all together, there is no other door. In the beginning kinda strange, but everything is super clean and new and beautifully decorated that you dont actually care. The windows are huge and the view is great.
If i could change something then I would have wanted a bigger room.

All in all, the hotel was not 60 floor high something you see a lot in Dubai, and we dont like that.You still want to feel like everything is tailor made for you. When they call you by your last name where ever you go in the hotel, is what we care about more. That special feeling when you dont have to wait to get advice or help or whatever you need.
Definitely a hotel i would recommend. I would give it a 5 star.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Monica S,
Your high praise is truly heart-warming and I am honoured to be able to share it with my team. Thank you for choosing to stay at Al Manzil Hotel on the special occasion of your honeymoon, I am very happy to hear that we managed to exceed your expectations with regards to service, location, dining options and facilities.
We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.