“Great Staff, Rooms, Service, Location & View! We want to move in :o)”
Review of Vida Downtown

Vida Downtown
Ranked #57 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Limassol, Cyprus
“Great Staff, Rooms, Service, Location & View! We want to move in :o)”
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Three small children and me, their mum is daunting enough in any setting (believe me) but I was dreading Dubai. Huge shopping areas and loads of tourists had me thinking of losing children at every tourist attraction, at least. What an oasis of calm, friendliness, tolerance. Best location and a great view :o) Stunning view of the Burj Khalifa from the room balcony. Cannot recommend them highly enough and apologies for the late review. Thank you all so much for a fantastic stay. The kids would love to move in, not least for the view and fab breakfast!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
JohnAritho, General Manager at Vida Downtown, responded to this review, December 18, 2010
Dear Guest - 'G30rg1na',

Please move in!

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post your review and the accolades about Qamardeen and the finer bits that make it a special place!

I am very glad that our aim of providing great accomodation and hospitality in a city like Dubai was appreciated by your children!

I am very happy that the team here provides a good atmosphere that even the children feel at ease at and want to come back to.

I do hope that you shall come back again in the near future!

Thanks for the great heading on the review!

John Aritho

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Qamardeen Hotel turned out to be the perfect spot to stay while in Dubai: close to (walking distance) Dubai mall and Burj Kalifah with lots of good places to eat and shop. As for the rest of the city, it was very easy both to get to the old part of town (by the creek), as well as the beaches.

The room and the facilites of the hotel was very nice and beautiful, and the staff warm and helpfull. The suroundings are still in part a construction area for this groving city, but ask for a room facing the pool and you will have a beautiful view and not be bothered.

The poolarea is nice but the sun never reached in what we could see. This is no problem since a cab ride to the open beach at the Jumeria Mosque is close and cheap.

I highly recomend the Quamardeen.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dear 'FridaSthlm',

It is great to read your lovely review and note that you had a good stay Qamardeen.

I am very glad to note that the location of the Hotel in the Downtown area of Dubai played a large part in making your stay worth the while.

Thank you for posting the review and we do hope to see you back soon again.

Regards

dubai
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights end of november. we took a taxi from the airport which was very cheap and trouble free. The check in was quick and efficient , with nice stuffed dates and juice offered while doing so.The room was excellant , love the glass bathroom and sit down shower.the location is just the best , we walked to the Burj al khalifa for shops and restaurants . The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. breakfast is good , but could be hotter . Room service was good also .Overall cannot fault the place and i think it is cheaper than comparable hotels in Dubai.Oh, and the beds are so confortable !

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear 'JoenSally',

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

We have noted what made your stay so worthwhile and on the other hand noted what we could have done better such as keeping the breakfast food hotter.

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Gold Coast
Reviewed December 4, 2010

My mum and I arrived into Dubai airport at 4:00am. After passing through customs, we were looking forward to nothing more than curling into bed and sleeping until lunchtime. We paid the extra to have a hotel representative meet us at the Airport. He pushed our trolley for us and took off running. When we reached the vehicle, he offered us cool towels and a bottle of water while he put our bags in the back. So far so good.

However, he then proceeded to drive quite erratically to the hotel, taking us on a 'tour' of the city and insulting the two days we had there the whole time. When booking this hotel, I had been told we would have to pay for the night before so there would be a room for us. After our 'tour' in the dark where we could see nothing and due to his driving, both of us felt quite sick due to his driving (stop, go, stop, go), and when we finally arrived at the hotel, it was all I could do not to vomit all over the entrance. By now it was 5:00am and we were both over tired and ready to sleep.

We were escorted to the reception desk where I was hoping it would be a quick check in. It was not. I was asked repeatedly for ID. My passport, then my drivers license were processed into the computer. Then we had to answer several questions about who we were etc etc. Then I was asked for my credit card, despite having given this at the time of booking. I was then told they would hold almost $1000 on my credit card while we were at the hotel. Not sure why they had to hold this excessive amount. I pay less for a car rental and I could do a lot more damage to that, than a hotel room.

Nevertheless, hoping the end was in sight, I did not make a fuss. But it was not over. The receptionist proceeded to tell me they had several rooms available we could stay in. (After I had been told we would have to book the extra night because we were arriving at 4:00am and they were fully booked!) After several more questions, and having to sign my name about five times, and then ask for my credit card back, we made our way to the room. It was 7:10am. I had paid for an extra night so we could check in and sleep at 4:00am, and after the entire process it had taken 3 hours to get to the hotel and check in. (For your information, I was still charged for the extra night.)

The food we ordered at the cafe downstairs was great. However, the room service we had for breakfast on the second day was not. The pancakes were dry and gluggy, and the toast my mum ordered because they were out of bacon (not sure how a hotel runs out of bacon), was dry, overcooked, and stale.

Some staff were overly helpful, others not helpful at all. We asked a concierge about booking the return transfer to the airport and he said he had done it; however, when we went to check out, they had not booked it and there was a made flurry to organise the transfer and charge us for it. When we asked another staff member about walking to the mall, he gave vague and distant answers and was no help at all.

Also, there is free internet in the Business Centre. I checked my mum and I onto our flight home and printed the boarding passes. Two A4 pages. I was charged excessively for two A4 pages and not told about this until they had let me print the pages. Ridiculous.

My mum became quite sick while we were at the hotel and we asked for a doctor to be sent so she could fly home. There was a lot of disorganisation before anything was organised. One girl came rushing up to 'take my mum to the hospital'. When I calmly explained my mum just had vertigo and needed some stemetil, they called the hospital. They arranged a doctor, (and this is not entirely the hotel's fault) who would not listen to my mum, would not give her the medication she knew she needed, and gave her the wrong medication which could have made her worse according to our doctor at home.
The next morning, we barely made it onto our flight home as the medication hadn't made her better at all. We were charged over $300 for this doctor to visit and do nothing.
When we were checking up, all twenty staff members in the reception area knew my mum had been unwell, and I just think some discretion should have been used and not every staff member should have been informed.

Finally, when we checked out, the hotel charged my credit card for the $1000 they had been holding and then the remainder of the money owing, meaning I had two huge international transactions fees charged to my card. I had been told they would not charge, just hold the money when we checked in. When the transfer was finally arranged to the airport, it was the same stop, go, stop, go as it had been on the way there.

Overall, I would not stay at the Qamardeen Hotel again and it disappoints me to say this. We were really looking forward to our stay here as it seemed like a great hotel. But with all the fuss at check-in and taking three hours to get to our room when I had paid for the night before and only used two hours in the end. They should be aware that at 4:00am, people don't want to tour the city in the dark and don't want to spend three hours checking in. Plus with the extra fees and taxes lumped on to the end bill which I was not informed about, and then them holding the $1000 on my credit card, I would look at other hotels in Dubai before choosing this one if we ever do return to Dubai.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank travelling_solo87
Dear Ms Hay 'Travelling Solo',

Thank you for taking time to view your concerns on Trip advisor.

I have noted with great concern the issues that you have raised here regarding your stay at Qamardeen and I will contact you directly so as to obtain more information and look for a way to resolve all your concerns.

It is our ultimate aim to have you stay with us in the future again so I shall investigate what went wrong with your stay and come to a good solution hopefully.

Houston Scotland
Reviewed December 3, 2010

We stayed in the Qamardeen Hotel for 7 nights visiting our family who live in Old Town Burj Dubai. For our needs it was a good location, near to Dubai Mall, Burj Dubai fountains and Burj Kalifia. The rooms are medium size with a desk with high speed internet for those wishing to work, mini-bar, flat screen TV with 70 channels including Sky and BBC World, hairdryer, ample drawer and wardrobe space and a glass walled bathroom with both a bath and shower. The glass bathroom area does have modesty blinds to pull down if you of a shy nature. I hasten to add the toilet is separate and has white opaque glasswalls. The hotel does back onto Emaar Boulevard, the busy main road for the area, but the rooms have very good double glazing so no noise can be heard in the room which is also fully air conditioned. The breakfast are buffet style with three stations, one for a cold selection of meats, cheeses and cereals, one for fruits, yoghurts etc and one for hot food - no pork products are served. There is also a chef cooking eggs to order. All the staff are friendly and very keen to help from receptionists to room stewards. We had a very pleasant stay and will be back in March 2011.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
JohnAritho, General Manager at Vida Downtown, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Mr John Grove,

Thank you very much for the very descriptive piece you have written about Qamardeen.

You have very clearly mentioned all the special touch points that made your stay worthwhile.

I note that you shall be back in March 2011 and we look forward to welcoming you and making your stay a special one.

abu dhabi
Reviewed December 2, 2010

We are travelling through to Dubai to watch the Dubai 7's this year. Knowing that it was going to be a busy weekend in Dubai, we booked two hotel rooms in October, one for us and one for the in-laws coming over from Scotland.
Due to the terrible weather at home, all flights from Edinburgh have been grounded and our in laws will no longer be coming to Dubai. As a result, we contacted the hotel to see if we could cancel one room. Having stayed in several hotels in Dubai and all over the UAE, we have always found them to be exceptionally accomodating. Unfortunately this has not been our experience with the Qamardeen Hotel who were unwilling to cancel the room despite the exceptional circumstances.
It has left us feeling pretty disappointed before we've even reached the hotel. Not a great start......

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank JPNico
Dear JP Nico,

Thank you for your review.

I have noted your disappointment regarding the non-cancellation of one of your rooms booked at the Qamardeen.

I have checked and found that your particular room bookings through a third party had restrictions aganist cancellations hence my team at the Hotel could not directly cancel the room.

All the same I do hope that you had a good stay during the Rugby Sevens and that you will try us soon again.

Please do accept my apologies for the inconviniences.

St. Paul, MN
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Live in Bahrain and regularly visit Dubai on business. I am the regional Purchasing Mgr for a US top 5 Engineering firm and am looking for good value hotels w/ good location for colleagues flying in on business. This trip I stayed in Old Town and question why I havent before. Great access to Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall and Souk al Bahar. Cant recommend this area enough.

Now, as for this hotel....great value, nice trendy room in a quiet and very clean part of the city. I also visited the sister property Al Mazil I believe. I actually liked the rooms a little better there, but dont know how the rate compares with Q. If close, i would recommend booking there S it is a few blocks closer to the sights and has more lush greenery and a hipper feel.

All in all, both are 1st class 4 star hotels which i highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2010
Dear Barry,

Thank you for your review.

It is good to know that you gave us a chance and stayed here on your last visit from Bahrain.
As you aptly say, the Hotel is a very ideal location and the 'heart of Dubai' with so many attractions just a stone throw away.

With regards to Al Manzil our sister Hotel, there is a slight differential in room rates based on a slightly larger room size as well as a closer proximity to Dubai Mall and other attractions.

We do appreciate your well placed comments and do look forward to seeing you when you stay with us next.