“Expensive but incredibly convenient airport option”

Dubai International Hotel
Ranked #2 of 295 Specialty Lodging in Dubai
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
“Expensive but incredibly convenient airport option”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I had one of my many overnights in Dubai and decided I was just too tired to head into the city and figured I'd splurge on the convenience of the Dubai International Hotel. It is certainly that - convenient, no question about it. Nothing like being in your terminal and getting some shut eye. It is, however, pretty crazy expensive. To their credit, though, I will say that the rooms are nicely maintained, it is very quiet, the bathrooms are especially nice, the wifi is fast, and there's even a gym/spa that you're allowed access to with the price of your room. So, if you're on per diem or you are just lucky enough not to have to worry about the budget and you're looking to kill 8-12 hours in Dubai, this is definitely a good option. The front desk staff was very helpful and I didn't regret my decision.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank garspolyglotte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

It's great for long or short stop overs, loads of shopping (we usually just look around) and eateries. We plan our flights around stop times and also where the stop over is and for the last few years we've always tailored our trips around Dubai stops. I must add on 1 occasion when we had an 8 hr stop Emirates airlines gave us a free stay in the airport hotel as we had were travelling with an infant. I thought that was a great gesture.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
kenya
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I've stayed twice at the airport hotel as it's a good option for a long layover. It's pricey but after a long haul flight being able to stretch out on a bed for a few hours is bliss. The room was pretty basic but clean and comfortable. The only issue I had was that the front desk forgot my wake up call and I barely made my connecting flight so suggest you have a phone alarm as a backup!
All in all, it's very convenient not having to leave the terminal and is a comfortable solution for a long layover.
Two tips:
1) Request to be met- someone from the hotel will meet you at the gate and walk you to the closest entry to hotel- as there are a good few scattered throughout the airport terminals. I found this really helpful and the rep from the hotel was very pleasant.
2) Book in advance, it can be full. It has happened that 've been turned away from the hotel when it was full - with a waiting list of people waiting in the lobby for any opening so if you really want to be sure of a room- best to book ahead of your flight.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank totoKenya
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We broke up 11 and 14 hour flights with an overnight stay within the Dubai airport. You do not leave the terminal or collect your luggage so pack a carry-on bag to see you through your stay. We hadn't realised there were hotels in both terminals, however, the staff checked us in and sent us with a staff member, via the train, all the way to our room at the other terminal. The room location is determined by your departure gate. We were embarrassed to have no local currency to tip our wonderful assistant. The room, although expensive, was a good investment. It was clean and modern. The king size bed was very comfortable and we were greeted by a personal wake-up call in the morning. When checking out our departure time and gate number were confirmed. The rooms are located above the shopping area so shopping and dining options are the same as for others in transit. We found the room well sound-proofed and excellent curtains for keeping it dark. There was a day lounge in the room and travellers with a couple of small children or another adult would not require additional sleeping. The size of the room, service and toiletries were what you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Having stayed outside the airport in an 'airport' hotel on another visit I'd recommend spending the money on the Dubai International if you are short on time and lacking the energy to deal with luggage collection and the courtesy bus to an off-site location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SusanPerth
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 28, 2013

It was by accident I stayed here. It provided clean comfortable accommodation with easy access to Emirates main terminal building. The staff were friendly and I had a good rest between flights. It is overpriced. On another note if you have a choice of transit airports in this region both Abu Dhabi and Doha are far more easy to navigate. Dubai international leaves much to be desired with regard to service. It is chaotic overcrowded and unfriendly. Do yourself a favour avoid it if you can

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I was returning from a friends wedding in glorious India and had some visa issues so I was forced to take abode at the Dubai International Hotel. Being in this situation I was grateful that this hotel is available for passengers who are in a rut. I loved that they provide the bare necessities as I was literally stuck in duty free and had no luggage with me. There are toothbrushes to bedroom slippers. Although I felt safe and sound and the room was indeed exclusive as I would imagine it (in relation to the cost), there was a lack of a homely vibe. Of course this may not be their objective but the corridors all give off a snobby outlook. I think it would be nice to add a personal touch, it really would make a difference in the whole experience. Everyone comes there for different reasons and to make them feel relaxed is easy but to make them feel special will make it all worth it.

Thank you for housing me....

All the best!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My wife and I were in transit in Dubai for 12 hours , we had a reservation from 04h 00 until 10h 00 at a cost of 180 US DOLLARS . Unfortunately we arrived earlier than expected and when I arrived at the hotel I asked the rather unpleasant Indian gentleman on duty to adjust the booking from 03h 00 to 09h 00 I was told that there would be a 30 US DOLLARS SURCHARGE. Naturally I refused and was then also informed that my stay did NOT INCLUDE BREAKFAST.

Thoroughly peeved off we checked in and as expected just before 10h 00 we received a call to vacate the room .As I was in the shower and my wife also incapacitated we failed to respond timeously. Thereafter the phone rang continuously every 5 minutes harassing us to vacate. Needless to say it was a haranguing experience and one I would like to forget . Fortunately the rest of my holiday in Istanbul was brilliant which more than made up for our disastrous stay at the above hotel which unfortunately is the ONLY one on the airport and enjoys a monopoly which they exploit to the fullest. Next time I'll rather suffer in the bucket seats available at the airport than frequent this very expensive hotel where customer service is none existant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank goosain2013
dcahotel, Manager at Dubai International Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at the Dubai International Hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Dubai International Hotel. We value guest feedback and very much concerned about the comments. I would appreciate if you can forward stay details to guestcare@dih-dca.com to investigate and ensure corrective action.

Kind Regards,