“Hidden Gem at Old Dubai”

Ahmedia Heritage Guest House
Ranked #1 of 63 Dubai B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Hidden Gem at Old Dubai”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I got the information about this hotel from my office mate who stayed there before and recommended the place. Stayed there for 2 nights when my family came for visit. The room was great and nice ambience. Firstly, quite difficult to get the location, but when called the hotel, they directed us very clear. The hotel just behind the Ahmadiya school which many tourist visited everyday. Breakfast was excellent with good choices. Though it a small hotel; but they offered many things inside. They have paintings gallery, souvenir shop, jacuzzi and steam room. I didn't expect in this small place they cater many things. When I had coffee in their cafe, I notice that they can also cater meeting/conference in that place.
If you want to experience old Dubai, then this hidden gem is really ideal for you. I am going to recommend my boss to have meeting in this place.
One more thing is the staff was excellent and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you like to feel the arabic accomodations, go for this one. The staffs were very helpful and will always offer smiles to you.

However, there was no room service all the time and no nearby decent restaurants. But you can take few steps to the metro and go which ever mall you want.

Loved the breakfast.

Room Tip: Few steps away from Al Ras Metro Station and Gold/Spice Souks.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jullyn21
Reviewed May 16, 2012

It’s a great place to spent a weekend with in Dubai, it’s so peaceful and gives a real feeling of Dubai. We normally try to find boutique accommodation to relax over the weekend and we found this the perfect place. Its cozy room size are good with all modern amenities in it and also the breakfast was excellent. Staff is friendly and courteous. Great value for money!

Room Tip: Mumtaz room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ahmed26
Salmiyah, Kuwait
Reviewed March 20, 2011

beds were small and not very comfortable but in terms of atmosphere, price, location, safety, history, culture, staying here was wonderful. Eat cheap and exotic eats in their courtyard cafe and use the internet cafe.... I've stayed at much more expensive hotels in Dubai and I honestly could not say any of them were worth the extra price!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank whitekrane
Brussel
Reviewed December 3, 2009

The airport pickup was good, we found eachother very fast. Once in the hotel, I had a big family room for the first night, the boss his wife was sleeping in this room! She went out as I arrived, lucky enough there were some other beds in the room so I could sleep in a clean one.

Breakfast was a good cop of coffee and some pancake, but dont expect a european breakfast. The house itself is beautiful and I enjoy sitting in the restaurant which was used by somalies. The second night I was in a normal room, but had some animals (small cockroaches) in my bed, this was really unpleasant. The third night my room was cleaned, there were not a lot of animals anymore but I still felt uncomfortable.

The internet was not working, but on the balcony you could pick up a free signal.

The neighbourhoud is awesome, the very old part of Dubai. Looks like india. If you are after partying, do not pick this hotel, since all the clubs and alcohol bars are in the new part.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank flowergun
Wales
Reviewed November 19, 2008

My husband and I spent a long time looking for a cheap place to stay in Dubai on a 3 night stop over from south east asia. The Al-Hijaz was the best deal we could find.

We had arranged an early morning airport pick up via email. Although we couldn't find the person to pick us up initially, he was waiting outside. We arrived at the hotel at around 6:30am and had to wait until 11am to check in, despite no one else staying in the hotel.

We eventually checked into our room, which was very nice, quite traditional and basic, especially when comparing it to other hotels in Dubai, but comfortable. The major down side to the room was the mosque tannoy system directly outside our bedroom window. This made for a loud alarm call at 5am every morning.

The breakfast was terrible, with no choice. An omlete and bread with tea or coffee. Some staff were friendly others were very grumpy.

Overall this is a good budget option for dubai, though with a better breakfast and no tannoy at the window this would make for an excellent option in Dubai.

• Liked — Good Budget option for Dubai and comfortable room
  • Disliked — NOISE at 5am
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank BumblingIdiots
Seattle
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Checking all the comments on the website, this hotel seemed quite OK, so I booked on their HP.
Quick response to the reservation.
After several confirmations on air port pick-up including last-minute mail exchange, in the end no welcome at the air port as expected at 5 AM...
Called the hotel, the person who answered just kept telling "Pls call after 2 hours". So took the public bus to the al-Sabha bus station and took a long walk from there. A staff finally came at 8am. No apology from the hotel at check-in, though I showed the confirmation mail.
Beware, the hotel appeals as it is free of charge, but they do charge 50Drh at check-out, the same price as you take a cab from the air port.
No early check-in allowed, but I was finally allowed to use the shower at 10am.
The room was the best thing about this hotel! Bathroom was clean enough. The towel was too old and dusty...better bring your own.
Breakfast was good; omlette or cooked beans with bread, tea, coffee or fresh juice on your request. Adequate qty.
The worst thing was that they cheated the price again at check-out.
I just took a memo of the total amount of my stay and paid. But they claimed it is without tax of 20%, so I shld pay more.
Didnt remember where I quote total amount at this moment(stupid!), so after some complaints, reached an agreement to add 10% instead of 20%, on 420=462Drh/night. Back home, checked the website, and it was written as 350+20%=420!! So they earned 170Drh(USD 55) from my payment.
Do check the price with tax and services in advance.
Staffs are not professional but friendly. That's tricky.
Rooms are OK, but the service and what you pay don't match.
Pity, I won't go again...or with all the documentation, maybe cld survive and win!

• Liked — Room Interior
  • Disliked — Cheating Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Salaam55