“Latest stay was a disappointment”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Bur Dubai
Ranked #248 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Latest stay was a disappointment”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times (albeit previously in 2012 and 2013 in its previous name as Dhow Palace Hotel). This time the hotel was fully booked for my six night stay and frankly I was treated by Reception staff as if I really did not matter to them. This hotel could be very good, but it is let down by VERY poor Reception staff attitudes and lack of effort to uphold any standard of service. At check-in I expected to be greeted as a previous guest but Reception literally grunted and advised me that the hotel was very full and they 'hoped' I was not fussy. When I said that I expected high standards based on the high rate (double what I last paid as the Dhow Palace) there was no response at all. I had asked for a King size bed (or at least a double) in the Superior room (this is a basic room at this hotel) but received a twin overlooking the next building with a view into windows of the next hotel. I had not realised that this view existed as my previous stays has good views! A real problem with this hotel is the failure to deliver on promised service and the chasing up that is required to obtain service. For example I sent a suit for dry cleaning at 8am. I was informed that my suit would be returned the following day. When I reminded Housekeeping that they advertise a return at 6pm for collections prior to 9am I was told that they would manage that after all. At 9pm I called to ask about my suit and was informed it was on the way. At 10pm I called again to be told that my account was not authorised for extra service costs and I would need to pay cash. A discussion with the Duty Manager ensued and it transpired that erroneously despite having my card blocked for Dhms 4000 the Check-in Receptionist had not authorised any services on my room account. This was finally corrected but with no apology and the Manager just said that Reception are very busy! I could give another 5 examples. For balance I should state that the airport meet and greet worked well and the courtesy hotel to airport service was also good. The garage provision used by a colleague was also excellent. I will NOT be staying at tis hotel again and they have lost a regular guest, but I am sure they won't worry at all.... more punters await will be their attitude!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dehradun, India
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The hotel is located in bur dubai which is sort of a central location. Had booked three rooms and they allowed one on a different floor. Even on requesting they refused to shift it to the same floor as the other two. House keeping service too was poor and never responded on time. Stayed there for six nights and twice the room wasn't cleaned properly.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I arrived very late on April 25 just looking for comfortable room to sleep, front office staff Ahmed Tayel he was helpful and find for me a room on that late time (4:30 AM) even I don't have any booking.
Morning time around 11:00 AM I received call from one of the staff I can’t remember her name asking me to checkout (impolite) because the checkout time is 12 noon which I knew already,
I try to order breakfast from the room service but most of the items which mention on the room service menu it are not available.
Room is clean but the bed mattress and duvet is not comfortable hotel management need to do something for it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my family for three nights and enjoyed our time spent in the hotel. Our room was spacious with plenty of space for my kids to run/play around. The Indian restaurant on the ground floor offers great food (with live music) at reasonable prices. I noticed some girls dancing in the bar next door but I didn't go in. There is spa and a small pool on the terrace. It can be a little crowded/noisy in the late evening (specially on the weekends) as there are good restaurants on ground floor and a disc/pub in the basement.

The staff was nice and polite but all of them were very busy as the lobby was full of guests waiting to check in. I will stay here again gladly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Dhow Palace is above average and well located. The room are extremely spacious and quite well-maintained. The hotel lobby itself is extremely noisy and always crowded. For some reason it lacks privacy and you feel like you're in a mall rather than in a hotel lobby. The choice of restaurants is good and they have a very nice Indian restaurant with live Hindi music(ghazals, etc) an. d they also have a nice Chinese restaurant. Breakfast spread was ok but its served in a banquet hall, not in a restaurant. I had issues with wi-fi connectivity most of the time, but the staff were very helpful. Overall, a functional place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This hotel is well located if you are working in Dubai, it doesn't take long to get to the main business district, airport or International Trade Centre.

The food is good and the beer no more expensive than anywhere else and there is a good choice. The evening entertainment in the bar is usually singing and not really my taste but there is nothing wrong with it.

The restaurants are good particularly the Indian one.

The rooms are always very clean and spacious and the staff remember regular visitors as for my past two visits I have been upgraded free of charge.

I have returned to the Dhow each January for business for the last five years.

My main only issue with this hotel is the "second bar" most guests use the bar by the main doors but there is another to the rear of the hotel. Without being over the top this bar seems to be full of prostitutes throughout the evening which surprised me in Dubai. I am hoping that when I return in two weeks time this issue will no longer exist.

This issue however has not put me off recommending the hotel and giving it a very good rating.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom E
Noida, India
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Spent four nights in the hotel and overall experience was good. First of all I would like to write here about the food, had home like experience and sleep quality was also very good. Last but not the least good budget hotel for vacations in Dubai.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends