“A conservative and orthodox hotel with a closed mind”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Bur Dubai
Ranked #244 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
“A conservative and orthodox hotel with a closed mind”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I am a businessman and stayed at Dhow Palace Hotel for two days during last week of August. O God- the hotel management seems to have a medieval mindset as far as ladies are concerned. The staff frown at and question lady guests as if they were there for a robbery!! I had invited lady Executive of a Company for business talk and she came with her friend. And lo!! the staff pounced upon them like stray dogs and told them they could not go to my room. All my protests and requests to the front desk fell on deaf ears and I had to hold a brief meeting with the ladies in the lobby of the hotel. Thereafter I noticed that they virtually humiliate ladies by asking very awkward questions. Daughters of a family friend dropped in to see me next day and they too were detained in the lobby. I have been visiting Dubai for the last ten years and I have never faced this problem at Hotel Ramada,Royal Ascot, Hotel Seaview etc. And I have never expected such treatment for my respected guests. The hotel management and staff seem to have dirty minds and they cannot think that a male can have genuine female guests. It was for the first time that I came across this nonsense. As regards facilities, the saloon does not open till 10 AM and gym does not have a trainer! Breakfast is average. There is a nightclub in the basement where even hotel guests are charged a hefty entrance fee by rude usherers. Initially I had booked this hotel for five days but felt so disgusted that I shifted to Royal Ascot Hotel after two days as my business was being affected.I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013
9 Thank vickyindia11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My first stay at Dhow was in July, for one week, and my second stay was in August-September for another 2 weeks. Both duty travels. I personally liked the hotel, the rooms are very spacious and clean, I was very happy with the housekeeping service for the entire duration of my stay. The breakfast was more than nice, the chef is amazing, live-cooking station is really good and the fruits were fresh all the time.

I was very disappointed by the IT manager who was not only rude and lazy, but he proved he has no idea how to fix a wi-fi connection, which should be a basic thing for an IT MANAGER in a hotel. he just used my laptop to search some things on wikipedia, thru the cable connection, and it was very hard for him to understand that I need my wi-fi connection to work again!!!! Finally, they moved me to another room where the connection was working, because he had no idea what to do, and he actually left the room without fixing the problem, without saying anything and without saying even good bye!!!!
The concierge desk was very helpful, Mr. Noor from reception and Leslie as well they were really nice and problem-solvers for sure. April was a little bit impolite I might say upon my check-out, and the blondes from reception..they were just pretty. Or maybe they were in learning process..
I would go there again, definitely. Overall I had a nice stay, I felt comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Valsad, Gujarat, India
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed their for 4 nights with my colleague. We were on a business trip.
Hotel is excellent with very spacious rooms.
Very on the top.
Only thing was that the breakfast was not complimentary out there otherwise good hotel to visit.
Important thing if you travelling with family , than it is the best hotel

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mukulraj
goa
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in dhow palace in bur dubai as 1 of my friend recommended me this hotel ...n wot a good choice that was ..I really got 2 say that hotel is very clean n the stuff are very helpfull n attentive..the breakfast was very gud 2 n wide range of selection ..the lady at the reception desk miss saira was a great help 2..overall very gud stay in dhow palace dubai n I will n b definitely back again ..

• Stayed August 2013
Kuwait
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I am going to stay to this hotel this coming August 8-10. I saw here online that there's a service shuttle free pick up from the airport going to the hotel. But my travel agency says that I need to pay for it. Is it true? I need an assistance coming from the airport going to the hotel. Is it okay if the hotel staff can help me through with my inquiries. Thank you.

I need some feed backs or advices coming from other guests on what to take to have a safe and cheaper transport.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Herlyn
Rajkot
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed there in starting of this month. It was a nice stay, co-operative staff. Rooms were also comfortable, and hotel authority has upgraded my room to Admiral class, road side. It was nice room just above to the entrance of hotel, on 7th floor. Though, it was well said about breakfast of this hotel, it is not at all GOOD AND TASTY for Indians. So many items, but only ONE for Indian and I have noticed, hotel was 50% occupied by Indian on that day, but NO PROPER BREAKFAST for them. Linen quality, toiletries used in washroom as good. Service part was also superb. It was RAMADAN time, so occupancy was very little, may be the reason of fast service. But overall experience was superb. It is near to nightlife area of Bur Dubai, even one can walk to the place.

Room Tip: select rooms on road side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kandahar, Afghanistan
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The way I got booked into this hotel was through a Package deal. Therefore it wasn’t a hotel that I booked on my own based on a recommendation. I will say that hospitality wise....It was great. My flight was delayed, by about 3 hours, but a Driver from the hotel was there to pick me up. Therefore on that I was truly impressed. My Promotion package came with 3 days Free Wifi....which was nice. However, the internet service was the worst ever. I wasn't trying to do anything fancy like Skype or Face Time. I was just simply trying to text someone on Instant Messenger or Face Book, but even that was a struggle. Every time I sent a message, I had to log off of the internet and log back in. Therefore that was a bit aggravating. At one time I actually had to stand outside in the hallway in order to get a good connection. Originally I was on my Ipad, but I realized the next day that the internet worked slightly better on my Laptop.

My room was clean. However, I wasn’t impressed with the 2 very small twin beds in my room. I suppose I was under the assumption that my bed would be Queen or King….but I guess that’s what I get for assuming.

What I found to be really convenient was the fact that there were a few restaurants inside the hotel. So that was nice in terms of not having to leave the hotel to find something to eat. However, the food was ridiculously expensive. 1 bowl of regular soup cost nearly $15.00….therefore I thought that was a bit much for one bowl of soup.

Overall, as I mentioned before, the service was really good. The hotel was beautiful, and it was really clean, but it wasn’t enough for me to say that I would be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business