“Wasn't all that impressed”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Bur Dubai
Ranked #221 of 563 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The way I got booked into this hotel was through a Package deal. Therefore it wasn’t a hotel that I booked on my own based on a recommendation. I will say that hospitality wise....It was great. My flight was delayed, by about 3 hours, but a Driver from the hotel was there to pick me up. Therefore on that I was truly impressed. My Promotion package came with 3 days Free Wifi....which was nice. However, the internet service was the worst ever. I wasn't trying to do anything fancy like Skype or Face Time. I was just simply trying to text someone on Instant Messenger or Face Book, but even that was a struggle. Every time I sent a message, I had to log off of the internet and log back in. Therefore that was a bit aggravating. At one time I actually had to stand outside in the hallway in order to get a good connection. Originally I was on my Ipad, but I realized the next day that the internet worked slightly better on my Laptop.

My room was clean. However, I wasn’t impressed with the 2 very small twin beds in my room. I suppose I was under the assumption that my bed would be Queen or King….but I guess that’s what I get for assuming.

What I found to be really convenient was the fact that there were a few restaurants inside the hotel. So that was nice in terms of not having to leave the hotel to find something to eat. However, the food was ridiculously expensive. 1 bowl of regular soup cost nearly $15.00….therefore I thought that was a bit much for one bowl of soup.

Overall, as I mentioned before, the service was really good. The hotel was beautiful, and it was really clean, but it wasn’t enough for me to say that I would be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We've been at Dhow Palace for 21 days. I really loved it! It is a nice hotel, clean, silent. The stuff is very well trained. The bar down stairs is very nice with friendly staff. I enjoyed this hotel and I would definitely come back here when I will be in Dubai. The prices are also very good and the location is very close to some malls. The pool on the top of the roof is really really nice. We had a lot of fun. I definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
DhowPalaceManagment, Front Office Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Bur Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Ms. Laura ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your visit at Dhow Palace

We are delighted to read your review following your stay in our hotel. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our facilities and had a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Dhow Palace
In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Located very near to Bur Dubai, this is a very centrally located hotel with a very pleasing lobby. However once you start your interaction with the Reception, you feel that a lot is desired. Rooms are good.... and it is a good stay as far the location is concerned- very central and yet not noisy.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RajaG1
DhowPalaceManagment, Front Office Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Bur Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Mr. Raja,

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Great location, great price.
We stayed for 3 days - the rooms were comfortable and clean, although check-in was not very welcoming.
Travelling with children, breakfast satisfied all tastes and was delicious.
It's in a great location.
Would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Ms. Donna,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days during a business trip. The hotel has to improve to be a better one for 4 stars. The check in/check out is not so welcoming. Rooms lighting is very dull. Should have better lighting. Beds are just ok. Room are spacious but for sure it has to be cleaned well as i could see some dust in some areas within the room itself. The hot water supply is very pathetic. Even if you keep it at the highest, still water is lukewarm only. so definitely did not have a fulfilling shower. Breakfast is just on an average. There are few restaurants in the hotel but did not try that. Kamat and gazebo restaurant is just in walkable distance both are good choices for veg and non-veg food respectively. Hotel is not amidst happening areas of karama or burdubai. You need to take a taxi to reach to the shopping areas of burdubai and karama which would cost you only dh.10. Internet is not free and charged. hotel does not have a new look and still a lot can be improved to make it look better atleast the reception areas.overall i would choose some other 4 star hotel given a choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
DhowPalaceManagment, Front Office Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Bur Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Mr. ulagaisutraaasai

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Dhow Palace.

Your comment is important to us, as we always aim at delivering an ultimate experience for every guest.

I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations. we have noted your comment and We will pass on your feedback regarding the service provided to the relevant management team.

We would like to thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality.

I do hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting Dhow Palace in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Dhow Palace is renowned for.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed June 27, 2013

After reading all the reviews about Dhow Palace @ Burr Dubai, UAE we finally booked the hotel stay for 3 days. The Hotel has great location, assertive staff, great quality of rooms and of course good quality food... Its surely a perfect family hotel. Got a complimentary upgrade to Admiral Suite room which is on higher floors. Breakfast served is also good, with an Indian dish served every day. I shall rate this hotel 9 on 10..

Room Tip: Go for Admiral Suite Room which is on higher floors
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Mr. Chavan

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great convenient location. Attended a wedding in one their ball rooms while staying there. Room was dark but looked romantic. Had to request more lights from the front desk as we could barely see our belonging once the romance came to an end. LOL. Staff was great and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family