“Great for business and good location”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Bur Dubai
Ranked #247 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Great for business and good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Dhow palace is centrally located in the Bur Dubai area. It is centrally located for business purposes and has a quick 20 min driving distance from the airport. The main advantages of the hotel are :
- good rooms
- several good restaurants (the hotel next door has a great pub as well)
- decent breakfast
- reasonable rates for transfers and breakfast etc
the hotel has a good feel to it, not luxury, but above average on most parameters as well. Got quick help from the staff on matters like chargers etc. Hindi is not an issue so might be of interest for travelers from India as well.

1 Thank Ritwik25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Nice breakfast buffet includes pastries, cereals, fruit, cooked breakfast and some Indian options. Very comfy bed. Everything worked. Clean and comfy. Massive safe (fits laptops)
An easy journey to/from airport.
Helpful staff.
I would be happy staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank travellingcellist
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I received a less than friendly welcome from the receptionist at the Dhow Palace Hotel - in fact she was downright rude to me. I had travelled in from the UK and my partner wasn't with me as he was travelling from another part of the UAE to meet me. As the booking was in his name she said I couldn't check in and had to wait 3 hours for him to arrive. It's not the attitude of a member of staff I expect who is supposed to help you! So I had to cause a fuss and speak to the manager - hassle I really didn't need. The place itself is ok inside. Once I had finally checked in - the process took an hour! the room was spacious but smelt old and like people had been smoking in there. I asked to be moved but was told the hotel was full. Room service was incredibly slow for cold mezze - it took 45 mins to arrive at a non peak hour of the day. I was also asked to settle the bill in cash which was bizarre! Breakfast was disgusting - the room had a distinctly unpleasant and unappetising odour - I would not pay any extra for this. The juice was not fresh, it was all done very cheaply and looked thus.

Room Tip: Personally I would stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ema L

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

hong kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel was generally clean and bright. The room I was given was huge but after the initial impact I got used to its size. The bed was good, the hot water and pressure were good but the room was so big it was over whelming to me, used to Asian hotel room sizes. The furniture and fittings reminded me of Russian dark furniture and drapes. Heavy and not really very inspiring. The atrium was nice and open, fresh. The main restaurant was good and the food was in my opinion plentiful varied and good with good options provided. Reception cold. Not a happy lot in general, very rarely was there a smile from anyone. The friendliest people were the drivers in the hotel car. To me the lack of warmth showed as a negative sign. With the exception of the food I wouldnt go back if I had the choice.

Room Tip: Depends whether you like large rooms or moderate sized rooms. Also one side of the hotel (west I thi...
1 Thank Marview
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a night and it was the worst stay ever! Right from the time we got in till the time we left, it was all bad! The moment we reached Dubai we called up the hotel asking if we can have an early check in and the receptionist said 'Yes, your room is ready!' And when we reached the hotel we were in for a shock! They completely denied speaking to us and telling us to come early!! We were travelling with an infant and we had no room! We had to wait till 2 in the afternoon to get one and when we did it was not what we had requested!
To make matters worse, they had given us a room with a bed that made a creeking noise whenever we sat on it! And that was enough to wake up my sleeping baby!!
Breakfast is okay- no friendly faces except for the chef at the egg station who was cheerful!
Check out also was terrible with no help from the reception to pick up luggage!
Never again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mrs-srmjs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on buisiness good choice of buffet style meals mainly curries and western dishes

Sweet selection very nice too, especially um ali dish.

All from docklands restraunt although there are others within hotel

In room wifi quite expensive.

Some noise from disco heard in rooms three floors above.

Staff very friendly and helpfull

The hotel is nice and modern although the roof pool is rather small its worth popping up with a camera at sunset for a nice view of the burj kalifa

Metro & bus stops nearby make sure you buy transit tickets in advance or if taking a dubai cab use one with red or blue roof as "unmarked cabs" are not governed by the same pricing and can charge double

If travelling to dubai be aware skype will not work unless installed prior to arrival.

• Stayed August 2012
Hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at the Dhow Palace when on a business trip at Arab Health last month. The reception staff weren't the friendliest or most efficient, but the room was spotlessly clean and ultra comfortable. The wifi was pretty rubbish too. I would certainly recommend this hotel for its location and comfortable, clean rooms. I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Heather7191