“Slightly above average and trying with a tinge of unhappiness about the staff.”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Bur Dubai
Ranked #248 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
hong kong
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel was generally clean and bright. The room I was given was huge but after the initial impact I got used to its size. The bed was good, the hot water and pressure were good but the room was so big it was over whelming to me, used to Asian hotel room sizes. The furniture and fittings reminded me of Russian dark furniture and drapes. Heavy and not really very inspiring. The atrium was nice and open, fresh. The main restaurant was good and the food was in my opinion plentiful varied and good with good options provided. Reception cold. Not a happy lot in general, very rarely was there a smile from anyone. The friendliest people were the drivers in the hotel car. To me the lack of warmth showed as a negative sign. With the exception of the food I wouldnt go back if I had the choice.

Room Tip: Depends whether you like large rooms or moderate sized rooms. Also one side of the hotel (west I thi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marview

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a night and it was the worst stay ever! Right from the time we got in till the time we left, it was all bad! The moment we reached Dubai we called up the hotel asking if we can have an early check in and the receptionist said 'Yes, your room is ready!' And when we reached the hotel we were in for a shock! They completely denied speaking to us and telling us to come early!! We were travelling with an infant and we had no room! We had to wait till 2 in the afternoon to get one and when we did it was not what we had requested!
To make matters worse, they had given us a room with a bed that made a creeking noise whenever we sat on it! And that was enough to wake up my sleeping baby!!
Breakfast is okay- no friendly faces except for the chef at the egg station who was cheerful!
Check out also was terrible with no help from the reception to pick up luggage!
Never again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mrs-srmjs

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on buisiness good choice of buffet style meals mainly curries and western dishes

Sweet selection very nice too, especially um ali dish.

All from docklands restraunt although there are others within hotel

In room wifi quite expensive.

Some noise from disco heard in rooms three floors above.

Staff very friendly and helpfull

The hotel is nice and modern although the roof pool is rather small its worth popping up with a camera at sunset for a nice view of the burj kalifa

Metro & bus stops nearby make sure you buy transit tickets in advance or if taking a dubai cab use one with red or blue roof as "unmarked cabs" are not governed by the same pricing and can charge double

If travelling to dubai be aware skype will not work unless installed prior to arrival.

• Stayed August 2012
Hull
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at the Dhow Palace when on a business trip at Arab Health last month. The reception staff weren't the friendliest or most efficient, but the room was spotlessly clean and ultra comfortable. The wifi was pretty rubbish too. I would certainly recommend this hotel for its location and comfortable, clean rooms. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Heather7191
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Hotel is in very good location and is clean and tidy. We were not given wifi or fridge in the room as specified. On the 1st day we were told we will be able to check in when we arrive at the hotel but did not as there were no rooms available. We were given a room at 12:00 waiting from 9:00 am in the lobby. The cleaner staff walked in our room without knocking on our 1st day..I requested toilet rolls at 2:00pm but was not provided until 22:00. I rang the receptionist at 9:30 no one came and i had to go down to the reception to ask for it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed briefly passing through Dubai on way from UK to Cape Town and then again on the way back as staff were so helpfull, price was reasonable and room was good.

Our timings didn't fit very well but staff were very cooperative in helping out.
I needed some urgent printing /scanning done and concierge was particularly helpful here.

I would definitely stay again as I know the standard of service and rooms are well up to the mark for the cost involved. Rooms were clean, spacious and well equipped.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed January 24, 2013

To be honest this hotel served its purpose. We needed a base - as we were going to be out for majority of the days. We stayed in the Captain Suite.
Reception - It is the first point of contact and we were met by a very disinterested bored looking receptionist who checked us in but failed to offer vital details like where breakfast was served timings etc. Not a problem we asked for it ourselves amongst other details. He could have also given us information regarding the free shuttle buses daily to the various malls and beach. We had to ask for all information. I have read negative comments about reception staff here, and I hope that if the management are reading these please initiate a change. It costs you nothing as you already have the staff and a simple smile or handing out of information wont cost anything and will leave a better impression.

Housekeeping: Very efficient, helpful and pleasant.

Rooms: We stayed in the Captain Suite. The room is very spacious, bed comfortable and noise not an issue. Online it was advertised as having free airport transfers, fruit basket on arrival free wifi ( no problem at all, not slow) and access to the admiral club. I asked reception about that but I got a blank look. To this day I don't know what the admiral club is!
The room was cleaned on a daily basis and a free newspaper daily. Attention to detail is lacking. For e.g. plenty of dust under the bed. Also one day I removed my childs cot sheet so that it could be changed (had a visible dirty patch thanks to my daughter) however on our return the same sheet was used. Not a problem as it was usable. However a 4 star hotel should pay attention to detail. The staff were excellent. These are just minor details management need to pick up on for training....

Breakfast: This was included in our rate. I would describe it as average. You had everything - an omellete station, yoghurts, cereals, fruits and Indian breakfast items too which I never tried. If it is not included in your rate don't worry as you are not missing out on much.

Restaurants: We tried the Indian restaurant Aangan in the hotel on our first night. Food is super, and the staff are so friendly and helpful. Live entertainment.

Pool: It is a roof top pool and you will need to climb a set of stairs to access it. Attendant very pleasant. The pool certainly during our stay was underused. It is heated, clean and you can get your pool towels there too.

Public Transport: Nearest train station is Karama which is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Travel is inexpensive, the trains are clean, regular and got you to the main tourist attractions e.g. the malls, Burj Khalifa, marina etc without any hassle and in good time. Plenty of taxi's outside the hotel too.

Overall, if I had to I would not mind staying here again. Issues I have highlighted are minor. They did not pose a problem and we had a good trip to Dubai.

P.S there is a supermarket 5 minutes walk away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family