“Great rooms, lousy service”

JA Oasis Beach Tower
Ranked #56 of 547 Hotels in Dubai
London, United Kingdom
“Great rooms, lousy service”
Reviewed January 29, 2010

If you look at my profile, you can see I've stayed in many hotels. The service at the Oasis Tower was some of the worst I've ever experienced, for a property of such quality and value. Let me start from the beginning.

My flight was 7 hours late. This was not my fault. It was the snow's fault. And BA's fault. I had arranged with the hotel for a car to pick me up at the airport. I figured, upon landing, "Welll, they have my flight number and everything so they must know that I'm 7 hours late so surely they will be waiting for me." (I was late because of the snow and ice in London. Yes, I could have called from London while I was sitting on the plane but I didn't. But still...they had my details.)

I arrived in Dubai around 6 in the morning, 7 hours past my 11 p.m scheduled arrival time. There was no car to greet me. So eventually, I got in a taxi and went to the hotel. (which was cheaper, anyhow.) One of the people who met me at the hotel actually said, "Oh, weren't you supposed to come in last night? Oh yeah, your flight was late. So we didn't come and get you." Um...thanks.

I'm just saying...if you're trying to sell yourself as 5-star service, you don't leave people at the airport "because your flight was late." There was never any apology from the hotel, and when I tried to confirm that they wouldn't charge me for this, I got an absurdly worded email that confirmed that although I didn't show up for the taxi, they wouldn't charge me. Um, I didn't show up because I WAS ON A PLANE. And there's this thing called The Internet that tells you when flights arrive.

OK, so here's the best bit. I get to the hotel and I go to check in and I ask if there are any messages for me and there's not. I find this odd because all my friends know that my flight was really delayed. I ask if I can get into a room early and they say no. So seriously I wander the [--] streets of Dubai Marina for 3 hours. Until the spa opens. And they I treat myself to two spa treatments at the Thai place on the 2nd floor--facial and reflexology. Lovely.

After 12, I head back down to the front desk, where five of my friends are WAITING FOR ME. Apparently, they had all left messages at the front desk the night before FOR ME basically saying, "We know your flight is late and you are exhausted. When you get in, please come to our room and sleep." They were all at the front desk, asking where the [--] I was. The front desk NEVER gave me any of their messages. I could have bee sleeping, but instead, I was wandering the streets of Dubai.

One of my friend's sees me, hands me the key to our apartment, and says, "You look exhausted. Go sleep." (I'd been up for over 24 hours at this point.) He then tells the front desk to send me my luggage.

I go sleep for three hours. I wake up, and there is no luggage. I go down to the front desk and I ask where my luggage is and they are all CLUELESS. And they they are like, "Oh, did you want that sent to your room?" And I'm like, "No, I wanted an oil painting of it." WTF? About an hour after that, and after many complaints to the front desk and going directly to the manager, my luggage finally arrives. Around 4 p.m. I ARRIVED AT THE HOTEL AT 6:30 AM.

The rooms are gorgeous. The bath products are lovely. I lked the kitchen arrival pack. The Internet sucks--you need an Ethernet cable from the front desk and part of me is wondering...who doesn't have wireless these days? By the end of my stay, I refused to talk to anyone at the front desk besides for two specific guys.

Oh, and on Sunday, when it was 7 a.m. London time and 11 a.m Dubai time, they did a fire alarm test. FOR 10 MINUTES. Some of our friends got advanced notice. We got none. So we all stood in our PJs, waiting to leave the apartment, until we realized it was a hoax. I hear this fire alarm test happens every Sunday at 11. It's LOUD.

In short, nice place. No service, whatsoever.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
wpchf, General Manager at JA Oasis Beach Tower, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Dear KristaInLondon,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor, which we appreciate all feedback in order to continually improve our services.

I was pleased to read your very detailed and candid review, and I would like to thank you for your kind words in relation to your accommodation.

I was most concerned to read that your stay was not to your satisfaction, and I do understand that our guests do sometime have many hours of traveling, and we wish to minimize the arrival process and make it as smooth as possible. I would to extend my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences you have experienced during your arrival experience at the hotel.

It is with great regret I learnt of your disappointment with regards to your delayed luggage. It is challenging at times when we are experiencing a high levels of occupancy and guests arriving at simultaneous intervals. I would like to assure you that this is not a true reflection of our usual high standards.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to hope to welcome you back to Oasis Beach Tower in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

William Harley-Fleming

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
London
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We have lived in Abu Dhabi and Dubai and I travel on business to Dubai regularly.
The OBT as people refer to it was perfect in terms of value and location for 5 of us in a 3 bed apartment. 13th Floor ideal. Wagamamas downstairs superb. Thyme Restaurant left a little to be desired but they were busy on New Years eve but service let them down.
Best feature about this Hotel is the daily transfer at 9.45 to Jebel Ali Beach resort.......LUSH!
This arrangement worked perfectly, big apartment to stay in on THE WALK for all the mad cars and great restaurant.....Mexican at the end was great......and then off to the beach for the day with a Starbucks for a coffee and croissant before before you leave. Apartment furnishings and services couldnt be faulted. PS They only do light cleaning around the apartment, so dont expect to leave washing up everywhere and have it cleaned....wack it in the dishwasher. The Outlet mall was good for a trip, but best of all was the Dubai Mall..amazing aquairium...better than or on a par with the mall of the emirates. Take your laptop, free internet.....a real bonus these days!
We will be back

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank RugbyboyLondon
Reviewed January 10, 2010

We stayed at Oasis end of Dec - beg of Jan. 2010. We highly recommend these apartments because the location is top notch and the service was excellent. We stayed in a 2 BR apt which was very large, beautifully furnished and supplied with everything you need, including food and drinks in the fridge! We had a gorgeous view of the Palm Jumeirah, the Atlantis, and the beautiful beach. Included was a full breakfast buffet every morning, sandwhichs and drinks throughout the day and ouerdeurves in the evening. When you walk out the front door, you are on "The Walk", a fabulous tourist venue with shops and cafes, which runs right along the beach. Oasis provides towels to take to the beach. Also, a free shuttle bus stops at the Oasis, to take you to The Mall of Emirates, The Dubai Mall, the Jebel Ali Beach Resort, the Gold Souk, the Burj and some other locations. This was a wonderful place to stay in Dubai.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank MOMSBUSY
northeast england
Reviewed December 30, 2009

stayed here with my 17 yr old son for 7 nights on a leisure holiday. Appartment was fabulous as we stayed on the premium floor(41st) in a 2 bed suite over looking the city, the skyline was amazing especially at night and the views over the Palm were impressive. There are plenty of restaurants along the walk way outside of the appartments so lots of different places to eat, our favourite was the Indian Palace which served every curry imaginable and was reasonably priced. A beer would have gone down a treat but we already knew alcohol was not available in most eateries as they do not have licences so it was water or juice. There are a few bars and celebrity type restaurants but they are very expensive and you simply could not afford to drink there all night, at £7.50 for a bottle of Corona it was beyond my pocket.
The pool at the appartment was nice enough but it was over shadowed by 2 large buildings being erected which blocked out the sun completely, this was dissapointing for us as we do like to sit and sunbathe on holiday, we went to the local beach which is just a 5 minute walk away and although there are no sunbeds available and it is a bit dirty it was better then the over shadowed pool.

• Stayed December 2009
2 Thank reazy1
abu dhabi, united arab emirates
Reviewed December 15, 2009

This 2nd time staying here we booked a 4 bedroom on floor 4 which was really huge. The price was cheaper than one room in the other hotels and we were not cramped as we would be in 2 connecting rooms. The Walk can't be beat and I can honestly say we felt as if we were in Europe. Love all the restaurants and shops. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this place and we will definitely make it one of our regular hotels in Dubai. We opened up the windows which caught the fresh ocean breeze. The large glass windows looking out into the ocean. Really perfect. Ordered room service and it was fast and the food was good. Location, Quality, Price - what else do u want?

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I stayed in this full serviced apartment for 4 days and the place was amazing. My unit was at 46th floor and its has very great view to the Palm Jumeirah as well as wide and unobstructed view to the ocean. The interior was very modern/minimalist and the free broadband internet access (both via LAN & wireless) was fantastic and it helped me a lot to accomplish my work remotely.

Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
London
Reviewed November 18, 2009

We have just arrived back from a 4 night stay at the Oasis. It was quite simply an amazing apartment hotel! The apartment was huge and very well serviced, cleaned daily and bathroom and kitchen stocked with amenities and products. The view we had from the 26th floor was of he neighbouring marina and the palm, both made for breathtaking scenes every morning and when the sun goes down a wonderfully lit city awaits you from the comforts of your balcony.

We were given complementary beach towels every day and made the short walk across the street to the beach. The area outside the hotel is brilliant "the walk" - lots of shops and places to eat.

We were 2 couples sharing, but could recommend this hotel for all types - families, groups etc. Staff very pleasant every day, good choice for breakfast every morning - including pork station for those who like their bacon sarnies and full english!

I would definitely return to this hotel again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends