“Flora Grand and all you should know about Do Buy”
Review of Flora Grand Hotel

Flora Grand Hotel
Ranked #113 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
The Netherlands
“Flora Grand and all you should know about Do Buy”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The hotel
The Flora Grand Hotel is a basic 4 star hotel, no frills no design, just a good hotel. It is situated in Deira not very far away from the airport (so now and then you will here the planes at night). There is a underground station just 5 minutes away from the hotel and together with the clean rooms these are the big advantages of this hotel. Breakfast is served in the restaurant on the ground floor and is good. The waiters do everyting they can to serve you a good start of the day. The guests get two small bottles of mineral water complimentary in their room every day. There are coffee and tea making facilities in each room.
The price quality level of this hotel is very good, especially for Dubai. If you do not want to spend a lot of money on a hotel choose the Flora Grand. However there are a few things you should know before considering this hotel;
Deira is the old part of Dubai. This has its charm but you have to realise that you will always need a taxi or public transport if you want to go the fancy areas of Dubai. For example, the Dubai Marina area (with the Walk) is 40 minutes away and the Dubai mall/Burj Khalifa is around 30 minutes by underground. The welness area of the hotel (swimming pool, gym and sauna) did not meet my expectations. This area definitaly needs maintanance. Everything here is very old and dirty (especially the sauna and steam room). Staff members in this area are demotivated and not cleaning the place at all. The area is also open for non-guests. There is plenty of room on the top floor of the hotel and the owner should consider a big make-over. The rooms in the Flora Grand are small for Dubai standards, for me it was fine but if you need some space then there might be a problem.

Due to the good price quality level I recommend this hotel. However, I would choose another hotel the next time I visit Dubai. If you book far in advance you will have a nice 5 star hotel for a few more euros. The next time I would stay along the creek or in a hotel between the Dubai mall and the creek with a bigger welness area (like the Sheraton f.e.).

Near the hotel
The hotel is situated in a quiet street near the busy and lively Al Rigga street. Around the corner of the hotel you will find a supermarket. On Al Rigga street you will find little shops, hairdressers and cheap restaurants. I had a haircut and a shave at Diva (mens hairdresser and spa) on Al Rigga street for only Dhs 55,-. I highly recommend this very busy but very clean place. Here, I had the best shave and haircut ever! You will find this place near the entrance of the underground.

I highly recommend the restaurants Tablet 9 in the Hilton Creek Hotel and the Ashiana in the Sheraton Creek hotel. These two restaurants are a bit pricey but fantastic. They are in walking distance of the Flora Grand. The Radisson Blu hotel (20 minutes walk of 1 underground station away) offers 6 restaurants of a high quality. I had a dinner in Yum, a wok restaurant with delicious food for cheap prices.

Go for a walk along the creek at night. You will see the lightened boats passing by and see big groups of Chinese ladies (line) dancing along the creek.

Transport
Public transport is very cheap, clean and efficient and therefore very popular and very very busy, especially the underground. In the peak hours it is almost undoable (like f.e. Tokio) and during day time it is still busy. In one week time I only had a seat twice, all the other journeys I had to stand. Tourists can buy a card (Nol card, available at every underground station) which they can upload with their credit card, it is very easy and very handy as you can use it for the underground and all busses in Dubai. I do not know if tourists can buy a gold card but do consider it as gold card members have their own wagon in the underground. There is also one wagon where men are not allowed (women only wagon). Taxis are very cheap too and they all work with a government controled meter. I did not feel the urge to rent a car as the traffic jams in Dubai can be horrible and the driving style quite dangerous.

Beaches
I can recommend the open public beaches. The beaches in Dubai are safe and clean and there are enough facilities. It is a misunderstanding that ladies are not safe at the beaches. I visited several beaches and there were a lot of women (even covered ladies). Keep in mind that there are constructions going on at the JBR beach (the Walk). This causes some noise. I prefered the Jumeraih open beach. I did not visit Jumeirah beach park but I heared this is very nice and will cost you only Dhs 5,-.
I visited a beach club on the Palm Island (Riva) but found it disappointing (only tourists) and not worthwhile.

Must see/do in Dubai
Bastakia area, soukh and the old house of the first sheikh near the creek;
Taxi boat from one side of the creek to the other side;
The gold soukh (unsophisticated jewellery but nice to see)
Dubai Marina area and the walk
The Dubai mall, fountain and the Burj Khalifa
The Burj al Arab
The Palm

Book a visit to the Burj Khalifa via internet in advance. This is cheaper than buying a ticket at the cashier (if there are tickets left...). Via internet it will cost you Dhs 100,- .

For me the Dubai mall was fantastic because of the nice shops, restaurants and the fountain in front of the mall. I also liked the atmosphere. You will clearly see a mixture of various cultures here. The other malls are a bit disappointing after being to the Dubai mall.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker ask for a non-smoking room. Ask for a room on a high floor. They are more qu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Aquarius74
GMFGH, General Manager at Flora Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013

Thank you for the feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

We appreciate the time you have taken to pen down a very detailed feedback specially all the important information on Dubai. Iam sure our future guests and all the other probable travellers will benefit a lot from it.We are also happy that you had a enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you again at the Flora Grand Hotel !

Satish Nambiar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Overall hotel service is excellent! I was even admired by all present attention to every detail! There is a lack of free wi fi but I hope the hotel management is gonna take it to a consideration. I highly recommend staying there!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank autechre1

Thank you for the feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

We are very happy to know that you had a great stay with us and the services delivered by the team members were upto your expectation.

We look forward to welcome you back at the Flora Grand Hotel !

Gurgaon
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights and had wonderful experience. Rooms are big with all the amenities. Excellent staff service and always helpful… very clean and peaceful
This hotel is very near to airport (just 10 min drive) on Al Rigga road, but very far from all the attractions in Dubai, normally it takes 40-45 min to reach major attractions like Dubai Mall, Mall of Emirates, Burj Khalifa etc…
Excellent food is served in Monsoon Restaurant, however buffet breakfast does not have enough options for vegetarians .. It was very disappointing
Overall experience was very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Yogesh G
GMFGH, General Manager at Flora Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013

Thank you for the feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

We are happy to note that you had a memorable stay with us. We are also glad to know that you enjoyed the food at the restaurant. The breakfast concern have been noted and we will try and improve our veg options. be rest assured that you wil not be disappointed the next time.

We look forward to seeing you soon at the Flora Grand Hotel !

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The day i entered Flora Hotel i found a Handsome personality standing in front of me to assist me.
His name is Mr.Anzar. I can say i never met such person in any of the hotels visited and stayed.
Hats off to Anzar. He helped me a lot and gave a tremendous service. I would suggest the hotel management to maintain the same customer service and delight.
Thanks a lot for all your services.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mazher K

Thank you for the feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay and that the same was made memorable by one of our managers. Your kind appreciation has been conveyed to him much to his delight and will motivate him to do the same or better for our future guests at the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you at the Flora Grand Hotel !

Bremen

Nothing to complain.
One little thing: The hotel ist difficult to find. It is not at Al Rigga Road but behind. Better to say Flora Grand Hotel behind Al Rigga road, entrance 26 b street.
If you are in the Hotel you find personal which is very polite, helpful, friendly, competent and whatwever you want. Rooms are in a good condition, clean and well equipped.
You can park your car in the basement. Metro stations red and green line are nearby.
Up to now we stayed in different Dubai Hotels, Flora Grand is the one we like to stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VielreisenderBremen

Thank you for the feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

We are delighted to know that you had a comfortable stay and the services delivered by the team members were above expectations.

We would like to see you back soon at the Flora Grand Hotel !

Sialkot, Pakistan
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had my recent stay in the hotel in a twin room. One day, while I was to take a bth, water heater broke thus creating the mess in the bathroom. All my clothes, accessories were wet. Electricity was also gone including room. The complaint was launched but duty manager appeared after 30 minutes. As I was to go for Arab health so time was passed and was getting late. I was given a new room but it was quite small. They never gave us some extra service etc and was transferred to the another room with same specs while saying sorry.
The next day air conditioner of this room was tripped and became alright in 4 hours. Thought it was my second time experience knowing its name for comfort, but this time was really bad and miserable for me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Experience129

Thank you for the feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

At the outset please accept my humble aplogies for the all the inconvenience caused by the mechanical failure of the water heater & AC. The alternative room given to you though small was the first available room as you are aware that due to the Arab Health conference the hotel was full and we managed this room with great difficulty. As I mentioned in my reply to your mail directly to us we would like to make up for this bad experience in your next stay if you let us know in advance your future travel plans.

Iam sure you will have such a wonderful experience in your next stay that you will repose your faith in our hospitality.

We hope that you will give us that oppurtunity and return back at the Flora Grand Hotel !

Pune, India
Reviewed February 4, 2013

A very decent family hotel , location is excellent for moving on
restaurants , supermarket , money exchange close by at walking distance .
Remember the room is serviced once a day maybe a hotel policy .
Housekeeping staff very friendly and professional ready to help always.
If you are interested in Visitors keep off . No liquor get your own from the airport .
Good for Families .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Oyster_king007
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

We are very happy to note that you had a memorable stay and the team members looked after you well.

The housekeeping does the service once a day but they would have been most happy to be at your service if desired more than once a day.

We look forward to seeing you again at the Flora Grand Hotel !